User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which philosophy suits you best?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Live life as if there is no tomorrow?

4 20.00%
  • Live life as if there is always a tomorrow?

16 80.00%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post

So, we should live life as if there will probably be a tomorrow, but no guarantees.
    I think I struggle quite a bit with commiting to things that have no guarantees, and some life choices require a commitment.

I can sample to my hearts content without this need for a guarantee, but commitment is something else, it seems to require more these days.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I think I struggle quite a bit with commiting to things that have no guarantees, and some life choices require a commitment.

I can sample to my hearts content without this need for a guarantee, but commitment is something else, it seems to require more these days.
    But if you think about it, we still pretty much have a 95% guarantee that in 20 years, we'll still be kicking. Statistically. If you're still young.

So does that mean 95% of our mind should plan for tomorrow? Maybe.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    But if you think about it, we still pretty much have a 95% guarantee that in 20 years, we'll still be kicking. Statistically. If you're still young.

Really? a 95% chance we'll still be here?

Wow, I didn't think the odds were so high, it seems I'm always hearing about people who die suddenly and in their prime, from accidents, murder or illnesses.

Interesting, 95% makes tomorrow seem more real to me.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Really? a 95% chance we'll still be here?

Wow, I didn't think the odds were so high, it seems I'm always hearing about people who die suddenly and in their prime, from accidents, murder or illnesses.

Interesting, 95% makes tomorrow seem more real to me.
    Really, I'm pulling the 95% figure out of my ass...

But this is saying that 1 out of every 20 non-elderly people you know during a period of 20 years or so years will die. That seems kind of accurate.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I'd hate to live thinking there's no tomorrow. Everything I want to do in my life (like gaining immortality) can't be done in a single day.

I do live day by day, and take things as they come. But nothing too extreme.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Someone not dying or getting an accident isn't news. So naturally you'll hear the opposite much more.

Life expectancy is still pretty high. And I think living thinking that it could be over tomorrow is pretty unhealthy and stressful. Know that your time will eventually come, but don't bother yourself with it until the time comes. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Absolutely impossible for me. I would feel like living in hell if I always tried to live as if there was not tomorrow. Said that, I think it's something totally OK to do when the time is right. For example, during the summer I often live a bit as-if there was no tomorrow. Probably a natural inconscious adaptation to the easie Moreover, as ajblaise said, it's better to think as-if there will probably be a tomorrow, so that you don't sacrifice short-term pleasure excessively.

Let's see. Suppose our starting age is 30, upwards approximation. National Mortality statistics for England: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloa...es_Summary.xls

After 2 quick computations, the death rate for an unspecified population of english males between 30 and 50 (to be precise, 49 and 364 days) years of age is 3.4%, thus the probability of survival in that time-interval is actually higher than 95%. Females have an even lower mortality rate in that age bracket, so it can't be any worse. Obviously if you're extremely poor, live in a dangerous neighborhood etc. the estimates will be slightly higher.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

Everything has a price. Happiness included. And you're gonna pay for it now, or you're gonna pay for it later. You're gonna lose your money.

Pay now, life sucks now, but you're gonna save because you aren't paying accumulated interest.

Pay later, life is good now, but you're gonna pay that damned interest.

I prefer the approach of paying later. I don't know if tommorrow is gonna come. I know today is right now. I know happiness is experienced in the moment, not in the future. I know that hard times and crap will always come, even if I've prepared for everything I could think of. Sure, you may be paying more by paying later. However, by paying now, you're gambling on your belief that tommorrow will come, and all your best laid plans will not be defeated by you getting hit by a bus. Fuck the chances of that occurring, I don't care. I won't pretend to know. I DO know that I'm here, right now, living life, and I'll be living my life anyway should things start to suck ass. My life's circumstances don't dictate how happy I am, I do, for the most part.

Carpe diem, however, I will say don't be an idiot about it.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Soren View Post

Carpe diem, however, I will say don't be an idiot about it.

Frankly I think I have been all along with it.

It's tomorrow again, and yep I'm still here lol

I'm trying to live as if there is probably a tomorrow, a few things I've commited to this year involve a good few tomorrows so I have to start making myself see that far ahead.

I think my inability to make plans is because my entire life has forced change upon change upon me, and all my plans have become dust each time.

I have furnished houses only to have to leave them and all my belongings, I have commited to a relationship only to find myself forced to leave it, I have commited to friendships that have led to nowhere, I have commited to family again for nothing, or religion for nothing.

I truly do understand that there are no guarantees in life, and I think my sp status is preserving me by not commiting to anything right now. So it's time to change it.

No risks, no future to aim for, so risks must be taken again.

Maybe later when I go shopping I can commit to the black hooded scarf and black leather jacket I want, instead of worrying that I will change my mind tomorrow, and thus not buying anything lol.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm planning averse, I've tried about next week the best I can actually do, sometimes I think I'd love to plan complete years in advance and just have them roll in but I've never been able to do that and when I have successfully done that I sometimes crave the spontaneity instead.

What I dont like is people who try to off set anxiety by doing this, people who think that plans in the present will some how make for a more predictable or easier time tommorrow, that's serious BS, its like Chamberline's peace in our time waving the paper from the plane business.

What I do more recently is live as though there was a yesterday, in some ways I think it is more real than the future, not enslaved or ensnared or doomed to repeat it though.