User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: If you....

Enneagram
    9w8

"Do you have cake?"

"All right, your turn to explain. Taking holiday to play eighteen black holes of interstellar golf is no excuse for never responding to phone calls repeatedly."

A Christian God:

"I stand by what I do. I'm sure I'll be held liable by you for whatever it is ye think I have or have not done, but that's your problem. I was perfectly content with the idea of leaving my footprint on the sands of time and being recycled into soil, but ye had to bring me here. Well, guess what? I'm going to hell of my own volition. See, I even died in my favourite shirt! *points to chest*"

In all seriousness, I wouldn't say a word. If a god is all knowing and about to judge me on my life's merits, I'd like to hear what they have to say, and I don't need to tell them anything - they know who I am.

It'd be too interesting to ruin with a quip.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Died and found out there really was a god, and you are standing before him. What would your argument be? How do you think you would be judged?
    My judgement would depend on God's values. I don't trust that the values attributed to God by humanity would align at all to what they really are. Humanity's interpretations of "good" are far too colored by cultural values to properly reflect any sort of absolute moral code that would universally apply to everyone across all time.

So, assuming that a typical human has no ability whatsoever to discern God's true ethical values from that of what society projects (nevermind those too young or disabled to make proper ethical choices), I would hope that judgement would be based on ethical decisions outside the social constructs of law, culture, and worship.

In such a case I wouldn't have much to argue. Who can argue with God anyway? An all-knowing being is already aware of all the facts, reasons, rationales. A discussion would be interesting for my own sake, certainly, but I can't see it as affecting the result, unless God somehow self-restricts or cannot know free will, and is perhaps intrigued by such debates.

Either way, I think I would be judged marginally favorable. I'm not big on helping people, but I'm also not at all about hurting people. I mostly want to be independent and rise or fall of my own merit. I like to see others do the same, and largely attribute handouts and charity as negative reinforcement in the long run, save perhaps the rare and desperately unfortunate.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    My judgement would depend on God's values. I don't trust that the values attributed to God by humanity would align at all to what they really are. Humanity's interpretations of "good" are far too colored by cultural values to properly reflect any sort of absolute moral code that would universally apply to everyone across all time.

So, assuming that a typical human has no ability whatsoever to discern God's true ethical values from that of what society projects (nevermind those too young or disabled to make proper ethical choices), I would hope that judgement would be based on ethical decisions outside the social constructs of law, culture, and worship.

In such a case I wouldn't have much to argue. Who can argue with God anyway? An all-knowing being is already aware of all the facts, reasons, rationales. A discussion would be interesting for my own sake, certainly, but I can't see it as affecting the result, unless God somehow self-restricts or cannot know free will, and is perhaps intrigued by such debates.
    Agreed.

I think I would be judged marginally better than your average joe but I don't know if I'd get a place in heaven.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Dearset God,

So, the Bible is discriminaroty. I'm dislecix, and I read can't the Bible very well. I thought said it "Thou shan't obey thy parents" and "Thou must kill." It saw consufing for for me. I even askde you to clafiry this to me verbally, but you never respendod. Now that's not my fault, is it? I think I a free pass upon the basis that yuo were negligent to my speclia needs my. Oh, and plus I'll let you tie me up to a cross if you let me in, for nostaglia's sake. That what fun could be, right? Thanks dog (err, God)!

-Tesla

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Died and found out there really was a god, and you are standing before him. What would your argument be? How do you think you would be judged?
    I wouldn't have an argument. Either I get in or I don't. If groveling is the only way to get in, what was the point of being "good" all this time? I could have been out pillaging and plundering or whatever. And I don't grovel well.

How would I be judged? Like the flawed human being s/he created. If we were meant to be perfect, we'd just be gods, no?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

"Strange meeting you in a place like this ..."
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

If "god" exists does that automatically mean he has to judge us? On what basis is he judging? Morality? What are this god's ethics? Why is it interested in me personally? Honestly if I died and found out a god existed I don't think that it would take the time to dole out some petty reward or punishment to my itty bitty consciousness. He'd be too busy being omniscient and unknowable to a comparatively pathetic human mind. If god exists it really doesn't make a difference, at least not given my interpretation of the word "god".

But if you're talking about a specific God, well, that changes everything and doesn't really even seem worth exploring to me. I mean, I might as well ask a follower of that God's faith or pick up it's corresponding text thereby kind of negating the need to imagine I've died and am greeted face to face with a (now didactic and strangely human) supernatural force.

MBTI
    ISTP

I would beg for forgiveness, anyone who wouldn't is a fool.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Well, we are both INTJs, so at least we would be thinking on the same wavelength.

What? Don't you believe me? Think about it... God is definitely an Ni dominant. Isn't he suposed to have a grand plan for the entire universe, plotted out from start to finish? And when was the last time he ever bothered to define things concisely? Just look at the bible, quran or any other holy book you like. There all vague enough to leave plenty of room for arguments.

More to the point, look at the laws of physics. The quantum uncertainty principal, wave/partical duality, superposition of states, tunneling... Ask God where something is, and he'll tell you "It's kind of over that way a bit." Ask him what something is and he'll say "It's whatever it needs to be. Whatever, really. Just leave it in a state of raw potentiallity until we've got use for it."

Oh, and he is definitely Te over Fi. Where it otherwise, he wouldn't have had a habit of smiting people in his youth, nor would he have inflicted leprosy and disasters upon Job, just to prove a point.

Given all that, I think he is an INTJ. I think we should be able to reach somesort of agreement.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Well, we are both INTJs, so at least we would be thinking on the same wavelength.

What? Don't you believe me? Think about it... God is definitely an Ni dominant. Isn't he suposed to have a grand plan for the entire universe, plotted out from start to finish? And when was the last time he ever bothered to define things concisely? Just look at the bible, quran or any other holy book you like. There all vague enough to leave plenty of room for arguments.

More to the point, look at the laws of physics. The quantum uncertainty principal, wave/partical duality, superposition of states, tunneling... Ask God where something is, and he'll tell you "It's kind of over that way a bit." Ask him what something is and he'll say "It's whatever it needs to be. Whatever, really. Just leave it in a state of raw potentiallity until we've got use for it."

Oh, and he is definitely Te over Fi. Where it otherwise, he wouldn't have had a habit of smiting people in his youth, nor would he have inflicted leprosy and disasters upon Job, just to prove a point.

Given all that, I think he is an INTJ. I think we should be able to reach somesort of agreement.
    Does that mean Jesus was an ENFP? You know, to connect people to the INTJ?
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se