• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reflection

Lark

I was on training today which was trying to develop reflectiveness vs. reactivity, the idea being that behaviour which could provoke counter aggression from an unanalytical person will be avoided, there's more to it but that's the part that I thought was among the best.

Anyway what other applications can you think of for reflectiveness? Do you reflect much yourself? Is there a MBTI relationship to this or does it just mean it will be easier, more likely or more necessary for particular types but they all "make it their own" by channelling their traits that way (their traits remaining their traits, ie no extrovert transformed into an introvert by reflection).

T

ThatGirl

Allowing people to give you information before you give it to them. Movements become less impulsive, more methodical, and less open for miscommunication. I have found this decreases aggression in others.

As far as reflection goes, I am in a constant state of reflection. I have to work with myself, and I like to know exactly what I am working with. I don't really try to, I just do, whenever there appears to be a disconnection between myself and others, myself and the world, myself and my circumstance.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Allowing people to give you information before you give it to them. Movements become less impulsive, more methodical, and less open for miscommunication. I have found this decreases aggression in others.

i think the times when you are dealing with someone who acts aggressively it is better to connect with them on an instinctual and immediate level. i think it is better to be impulsive and loose and quick to speak with unstable people. i feel like if i dealt with physically aggressive people in a reflective and analytical way - instead of a decisive and instinctual way - it would get me into a lot more trouble and just widen the gulf between us.

although, i think really you just have to play to your strengths, reflection or instinct.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I was on training today which was trying to develop reflectiveness vs. reactivity, the idea being that behaviour which could provoke counter aggression from an unanalytical person will be avoided, there's more to it but that's the part that I thought was among the best.

Anyway what other applications can you think of for reflectiveness? Do you reflect much yourself? Is there a MBTI relationship to this or does it just mean it will be easier, more likely or more necessary for particular types but they all "make it their own" by channelling their traits that way (their traits remaining their traits, ie no extrovert transformed into an introvert by reflection).

Your first statement above is in third or 2nd person and I didn't understand it much. Are you saying you are unanalytical and reflecting on being less reactive to persons who push your buttons, or are you referring to refraining personal behaviour that might cause a reaction in someone who is unanalytical, so you are practicing avoiding doing so? :cry: Hope I can remember I posted this Q because I'm interested in the answer.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
yeah to be honest, i didn't understand it much either. could you maybe elaborate on the reflectiveness vs reactiveness? is that like, being active/impuslive vs being contemplative/waiting? if so it might relate to J and P tendencies. but ive also noticed that ESXX types are also prone to being more reactive than reflective.

Lark

Its about not necessarily being implusive or obeying an internal script, with aggression the automatic reaction is often counter aggression and this can lead to an escalation to violence real quick, especially of using overwhelming force isnt an option (its either not practical or permitted).

That's just an example aggression, you could say that there's automatic/scripted reactions to affection or attachment seeking, it'll be channelled by type among other things.

I was talking about substituting something in the place of reactivity, ie reflection in action and reflection on action, then I asked about reflection in general.