User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Lightbulb Deep contemplations and still needing insight!

Okay! So I don't really know how to research this, so I thought I would post something on here.

I have sort of been contemplating the world, our place, etc (with Nihilistic conclusions being drawn, which I dislike a bit. Makes me feel like there is no room for progress) and would really like to hear people's opinions on spirituality, what they believe (whether you are religious with spiritual practices, or just spiritual. Or whatever the hell you believe. It may not even be spiritual. I am going to shut up now).

Not so much for religion, although I do think it would be interesting to hear your view points and why, I am just saying that the purpose is not for religion, just more so for information on spirituality and practices or beliefs.

I ask because /disclosure/ Storytime /disclosure/ my friend has a new boyfriend who knows much about the such, and also about the human body and ways of stimulating it (not necessarily sexually, but that as well. Which I also want to know about, and making someone feel good in the not so obvious ways, but I don't think this is the place to post it), and I would absolutely love it if someone could provide me some insight, because I detest being behind on information.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTJ

Trust not the mystic.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Trust whom, then?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

You can only trust what is real. I find that spirituality is basically driven by a sincere desire to know the truth and get rid of falsehood and illusions. My impression is people often would rather have comfort and predictability rather than truth if it's difficult or involves disturbance or requires giving up something. And once you've reached certain truths, you find another layer, and it requires even more honesty and truthfulness, and you go through it again, and it never stops into infinity. I find that with certain people, they posit a certain truth or spiritual practice and maybe they recognised something true, but they stopped there. They didn't go on. Or the other danger is that the first step in the foundation of your process was faulty to begin with, so you can't go on properly, so you are also at a dead end that way.

This is my personal view anyway.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Interesting view. I honestly wasn't expecting an ISTJ to be the first to post an in depth answer.

But how do you know what is real? Is it ever possible to really know?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I have sort of been contemplating the world, our place, etc (with Nihilistic conclusions being drawn, which I dislike a bit. Makes me feel like there is no room for progress)
    There is room for progress. So, how do you now see the world?

I ask because /disclosure/ Storytime /disclosure/ my friend has a new boyfriend who knows much about the such, and also about the human body and ways of stimulating it (not necessarily sexually, but that as well. Which I also want to know about, and making someone feel good in the not so obvious ways, but I don't think this is the place to post it), and I would absolutely love it if someone could provide me some insight, because I detest being behind on information.
    Yeah, that's called tantra. I haven't focused my studies on it but I guess the main idea is to be able to meditate and have sex at the same time. "Just forget yourself" kind of a thing...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Interesting view. I honestly wasn't expecting an ISTJ to be the first to post an in depth answer.
    I will take that as a compliment!

But how do you know what is real? Is it ever possible to really know?
    I think it is not possible to know everything. Your own mind and nature would have to be the same as the infinite to be on the same level as the infinite. Only the infinite can know all of itself.

But I do think it is possible to know what is real, in the sense that A is real but B is false. Even if all you know is that you exist. You just build up what you know and put the picture together. It takes a lot of commitment. This commitment will be tested. It's also closely related to getting to know your real self. You have to be able to look confidently into your own eyes and know what you are seeing. Knowing the outside comes with knowing the inside. I find that after a while the process of getting to know more of the unknown becomes more pleasant and isn't as tortuous as it is right at the beginning.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    There is room for progress. So, how do you now see the world?
    Well, on one hand, when I really think about it:

1. There is no point to our living, other than to live, reproduce, etc. Nothing we do really matters in the long run, even if it affects all of humanity, because who cares?

2. Life should be a pleasurable experience for all, and even if it has no meaning in the long run, do what is correct and beneficial to the race.

Something along those lines. So either it doesn't matter, or it kind of does, as long as you are happy. I want to find something more.

Yeah, that's called tantra. I haven't focused my studies on it but I guess the main idea is to be able to meditate and have sex at the same time. "Just forget yourself" kind of a thing...
    How do you do that? How interesting, though. What are your studies on?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    I will take that as a compliment!

I think it is not possible to know everything. Your own mind and nature would have to be the same as the infinite to be on the same level as the infinite. Only the infinite can know all of itself.

But I do think it is possible to know what is real, in the sense that A is real but B is false. Even if all you know is that you exist. You just build up what you know and put the picture together. It takes a lot of commitment. This commitment will be tested. It's also closely related to getting to know your real self. You have to be able to look confidently into your own eyes and know what you are seeing. Knowing the outside comes with knowing the inside. I find that after a while the process of getting to know more of the unknown becomes more pleasant and isn't as tortuous as it is right at the beginning.
    Good, you should take that as a compliment!

Hm. I should start figuring out what is real, sort of. This idea you have presented to me has thrown me into even more of a loop! But I appreciate being given something more to think about. I know what I see, at least. And it seems to be a good thing that I generally like the unknown, although I am obviously having some minor issues with trying to figure it all out right now.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yeah, as long as the basic desire to know the truth is sincere, you just follow what is interesting to you, what provokes a reaction in you, don't avoid what disturbs you and also be careful not to reject what is real just because it is too mind-blowing or not what you expected it to be or want it to be. Another part of the honesty I was talking about before.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    Yeah, as long as the basic desire to know the truth is sincere, you just follow what is interesting to you, what provokes a reaction in you, don't avoid what disturbs you and also be careful not to reject what is real just because it is too mind-blowing or not what you expected it to be or want it to be. Another part of the honesty I was talking about before.
    I can definitely accept the truth. I am also pretty truthful, rarely lying. It is kinda painful to lie, if unnecessary. Knowing the truth about everything would be nice. Something tells me that won't happen in one lifetime.

I am also curious as to what meditation helps with.