User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I can definitely accept the truth. I am also pretty truthful, rarely lying. It is kinda painful to lie, if unnecessary.
    That's a good thing. You can't connect with the truth if you put yourself apart from it by lying or behaving dishonourably. It blinds your sight to recognise it. This is why a lot of systems and religions talk about purifying yourself.

I am also curious as to what meditation helps with.
    Spiritually, meditating is also basically to do with recognising and connecting with reality. Other people can probably say more about meditating that I can. There are many different types of meditation for different purposes. My own view is that it is basically a practice to help you experience reality, as opposed to just knowing about it in theory. E.g. accepting that all creation is one whole is one thing, but experiencing boundlessness and that merging is something else. If you got to a very high level you would be in that state all the time and you would not be divorced from the ultimate reality.

I would also like to say what I think about the role of religion but I don't have time right now.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Well, on one hand, when I really think about it:

1. There is no point to our living, other than to live, reproduce, etc. Nothing we do really matters in the long run, even if it affects all of humanity, because who cares?

2. Life should be a pleasurable experience for all, and even if it has no meaning in the long run, do what is correct and beneficial to the race.

Something along those lines. So either it doesn't matter, or it kind of does, as long as you are happy. I want to find something more.
    Both true. The thing is, you need to make your life a subjective experience instead of objective. How is your life? That's what you need to ask yourself.

How do you do that? How interesting, though. What are your studies on?
    My real studies were on media, but what I was referring to was that I have a hobby of studying things... I might add tantra on the list...

I guess you can't just pick a girl from a bar "Wanna have tantra with me?", somehow I think you need to first be quite close to someone to even try it. But, yeah, I can see how it might be a mind-blow, if both of you are in a meditative state it will make the senses really sensitive. Although, I don't think it differs too much from a cuddle-marathon/slow sex combo.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    I would also like to say what I think about the role of religion but I don't have time right now.
    I wish you did have time I always figured it gave people some reason to pursue the truth. I also think that some people use it to control other people, which pisses me off :steam:

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Both true. The thing is, you need to make your life a subjective experience instead of objective. How is your life? That's what you need to ask yourself.
    In the end, that is what I look at

Until I get back to contemplating

My real studies were on media, but what I was referring to was that I have a hobby of studying things... I might add tantra on the list...

I guess you can't just pick a girl from a bar "Wanna have tantra with me?", somehow I think you need to first be quite close to someone to even try it. But, yeah, I can see how it might be a mind-blow, if both of you are in a meditative state it will make the senses really sensitive. Although, I don't think it differs too much from a cuddle-marathon/slow sex combo.
    Hahaha, media? How interesting. I see what you mean now. And yes, if you are going to do something meditational/spiritual, I always imagined it would have to be with someone special.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

In the end, that is what I look at

Until I get back to contemplating
    Contemplation isn't too bad... I just think it is much more useful when directed at your life in a way that makes real changes in your behavior. For example, most people would agree that it's good to be a good person and help others, but if you look at the way most people behave, you have to conclude that there are many people whose thoughts are not in sync with their actions. This is something I try to change in myself, and it is a huge task... keeps me busy...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Contemplation isn't too bad... I just think it is much more useful when directed at your life in a way that makes real changes in your behavior. For example, most people would agree that it's good to be a good person and help others, but if you look at the way most people behave, you have to conclude that there are many people whose thoughts are not in sync with their actions. This is something I try to change in myself, and it is a huge task... keeps me busy...
    It isn't bad, but I dislike being unsure. I do think it makes me a better person, and I am quite good at being honest with myself. I do notice a lot of people (and I have pointed this out on many occasions to people) about them and their lack of consistency in thought and action, and words and action.

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It isn't bad, but I dislike being unsure.
    If you can see things from several perspectives, the need for hard facts lessens. Like these two ideas:

1. There is no point to our living, other than to live, reproduce, etc. Nothing we do really matters in the long run, even if it affects all of humanity, because who cares?

2. Life should be a pleasurable experience for all, and even if it has no meaning in the long run, do what is correct and beneficial to the race.
    Neither is wrong, they are just viewed slightly differently. So, they are both right but the second one is more humane because it can motivate you in a certain direction. A challenging feature in this age is that contemplation is somewhat encouraged (in schools) but it leads always to existential questions if you stay at it. Then you need to find your own meaning because spirituality is not encouraged and the popular religions either don't like people who really think about these questions, or have answers that you can easily see untrue. So, what you need to do is to choose the answers that you think will take you to the right direction. This doesn't necessarily mean that you are lying to yourself or disregarding facts. They are still there and you know them, you just choose a perspective that is more beneficial to you.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Sometimes one just kind of takes over the other, generally it is the second, but sometimes one does. Sometimes they combine, and I think 'well, doing this feels good, in the moment, and will it affect all of humanity in the long run, or even in the short run, or even me that greatly?' and I will make a decison based off of that. So far, no reagrets. But I am unsure of how long that will work.

I don't generally like large religions (no offense to anyone out there). I find myself taking what they say, breaking it down, and asking 'why'. It is like their answers lead me to more questions or me just saying 'that is damn illogical.' I do like some of Buddhism, but then I feel like pleasure should be pursued, just not in excess. When I view it, I don't really view it as a religion, because I think it is more about taking the views rather than worshipping someone.

I am rambling now.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

We live to create... create more living, create more of anything and everything. Creation brings us pleasure, which is much nicer to think about than avoiding pain. *avoids intuitive leap into battles against the universe that would be hard to follow... and bordering on irrational*.

I think religion is a lot like the difference between having a music teacher, and not. A teacher can teach you how to do things right and hone your skills in the proper fashion, and give you an idea of where to go next because they've already charted the course. Without one, you are free to roam wherever you wish in the musical world, learn your own techniques, anything could happen. But you may not find the right way immediately. Religion would teach you how to be spiritual, how to grow as a person but you have to follow their path whereever it may go... I guess that's what they mean by faith. There's more to it than that of course, that's just one facet.

This tantra sounds interesting lol
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    We live to create... create more living, create more of anything and everything. Creation brings us pleasure, which is much nicer to think about than avoiding pain. *avoids intuitive leap into battles against the universe that would be hard to follow... and bordering on irrational*.
    Irrational is perfectly acceptable in this conversation. But you bring a good point to me. *adds creation to list of things that she lives for, that she didn't pinpoint living for*

I think religion is a lot like the difference between having a music teacher, and not. A teacher can teach you how to do things right and hone your skills in the proper fashion, and give you an idea of where to go next because they've already charted the course. Without one, you are free to roam wherever you wish in the musical world, learn your own techniques, anything could happen. But you may not find the right way immediately. Religion would teach you how to be spiritual, how to grow as a person but you have to follow their path whereever it may go... I guess that's what they mean by faith. There's more to it than that of course, that's just one facet.
    Hm. Well, I never have had a music teacher that I relied on heavily before, so I guess I always really have just found me own way. But I guess I would have to find which religion to look really into...although at this point, it seems more like I am developing my own kind of thing.

This tantra sounds interesting lol
    Indeed

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

My mind is rather muddled... as always-
    well, anyway, what we create, what we mold ourselves into is going to persist in this world to a certain extent beyond the grave, whether it be the thoughts of a loved one, the lonely obituary in the newspaper, or that brilliant theorem that you spent your whole life working on. It'll stay around for a while, your life could easily be made into a battle to see how much impact you can make... positive impact hopefully. The problem with thinking about these things, is that if you stare it directly in the eye, it will overwhelm you. But if you just peek at it, just a little, it will draw you in. It's just like solving problems, if you take on something to big, you'll despair
    5 3 9