User Tag List

12 Last

Ginkgo

Default Emotion vs. No Emotion

Is it better to be emotionally bankrupt or emotionally volatile?

MBTI
    ISFJ

What's the goal here? Happiness? Keeping yourself amused?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Neither?

Volatile implies lack of personal control over one's own life.

Emotional emptiness implies an empty void, a state of apathy, no response, which is also an emotion that's out of control, but a very dull one, like a slow death. Volatile emotions are a quicker way of dying.

If I could choose, I'd choose content. It's neither volatile or empty, and it's better than just a so-so, happy medium.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    What's the goal here? Happiness? Keeping yourself amused?
    Yeah I agree, the choices are such that by themselves I have a hard time answering that question. I would need something to direct emotional volatility/lack of emotion towards. Giving advice, business ventures, experimenting with sandwiches, BBQ, etc.

Personally I think the benefits of having emotions outweigh the negative things that come with it.
    The greatest revenge is living well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    So in one state your mood shifts up and down, averaging at zero, in the other you are always at zero?

If so, both are pretty neutral to me, I can't decide between them. Perhaps I would flip a coin.

Otherwise I'd take whichever has the higher average.

MBTI
    free
    Enneagram
    nope

I parse this as;

Is it better to be in a state that outputs:
    a constant insolvent quantity of emotion for ensues nonparameter.
    Or
    an inconstant/fickle/mercurial quantity of emotion for ensues nonparameter.

The second choice begets more options, even the possibility partaking in the first(which I wonder if such could nullify the second choice[begets meta emotional discourse on the inseparable nature of mutiplicity of people as regarding their relations to one another]).

The first choice seems to negate the possibility.

The second at least has a higher chance.

Or it could even be parsed as:
    Is it positive to be negative regarding nonparameter, or [Ad libitum here] about nonparameter?(I'm quite sure the original poster would have you fill in the Ad lib.[The second being totally the best choice, incomparable to the first])
    Everyone is a case study.

I am emotionally and intellectually volatile and I enjoy it when I am in company that allows me to be volatile. But when I am in company that disallows volatility, I throttle right back.

So you might say I have learnt to be visible in good company and invisible in bad company.

But interestingly I have learnt not to let myself be controlled in bad company. This is not so hard for me to do. For usually bad company wants to control me and use tried and true techniques of control, such as MBTI.

A prime example was when I was being mugged. The mugger tried to control me by engaging me in physical violence and keeping me quiet. So I didn't fight back rather I shouted and kept on shouting at the top of my voice. This put the mugger off their stride and I made my escape.

And there is nothing I like more than being able to flow freely in good company.

And when I flow freely, it encourages the other to be spontaneous as well. And their spontaneity reveals their character, good or bad.

So rather than saying I am volatile, which is a pejorative word, perhaps I should say, I am spontaneous.

And interestingly I am also described with another pejorative word, over-excitable (OE). But I prefer to describe myself with the positive words, high responsiveness.

And although my high responsiveness does disturb the brittle control of some, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Also it is unusual for an introverted person like myself to be spontaneous. But what I have done is to discover spontaneity bubbling up inside myself and where appropriate, share it with those around me.

To my surprise this works quite well. Possibly because my spontaneity is good humoured and humorous.

And I almost always have my spontaneity available to me. Although I do notice that it is often at a tangent to the context I am in.

So, as here, I am sometimes asked to explain myself. I do find this irksome - its like being asked to explain a joke. So rather stopping my flow with explanations, I just let it be known it was a bad joke and not worth repeating. And often they will forget why they were asking.

But when they ask me for an explanation, I take it as a warning, and throttle right back and listen to them. And I find it quite relaxing to throttle back and listen. And people love you to listen to them.

And when I find someone with high responsiveness, we flow together like water.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

In the short-term it is probably better to be bankrupt because it will have less chaotic effect on decision making. For the long-term I think it is more difficult to recover from emotional bankruptcy than volatility because it brings with it no motivation to overcome it.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Bankrupt. You can't miss what you don't have.