12 Last

Thread: Bushido

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Bushido

Any fans of Bushido? I've got and I'm currently reading one of the primary texts on the concept, its called Bushido: The Soul of Japan, despite a couple of qualms, like the talk about race, I like it a lot and it seems really congruent with my own ideals and thinking.

I'm not sure if it is perfectly analogous with codes of chivalry or courtly manners in the West, I also think that its more than simply the tempering of Samuari violence by Shinto Buddhism, although I do think those things are important and sources of Bushido.

I love the importance of the development of individual character and equanimity of temper, perhaps its because its something I feel is lacking in the world or my life and experience.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I love the importance of the development of individual character and equanimity of temper, perhaps its because its something I feel is lacking in the world or my life and experience.
    Oh, you are correct.

A majority of people in the world seem to have no individual character, other than what they pick up from the media. And then we have the 'I want it NOW!' mentality, which is a whole other thread unto itself.

Equanimity? Not even on here, where discussions and debates are allowed if not encouraged. And a majority even have a degree of anonymity. No one wants to admit they may be wrong, and be open minded enough to listen and consider other viewpoints. That could ruin their comfortable view of the world.

Many people won't change their views, even with hard facts slapping them in the face. And you can't make people change, they have to want to.

Yes, I am painting with a broad brush, get over it. If none of this applies to you, ignore it. You will anyway.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

dammit... I thought we were talking about Dubbya again!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    dammit... I thought we were talking about Dubbya again!
    That would be, 'Bull-Shito'.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

^

excellent, my good sir!

of course, I fear that he's on my mind since I saw him on tv this morning
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

^

excellent, my good sir!

of course, I fear that he's on my mind since I saw him on tv this morning
    That would be uncomfortable, he isn't a small person. Just make sure Cheney isn't with him...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oh dear... that would probably knock the television off the mantel! :horor:

and shouldn't a circle of salt or something keep Cheney away?

MBTI
    INtP

and shouldn't a circle of salt or something keep Cheney away?
    No, I think that would just keep slugs away... and let's face it, they're probably welcome companions when compared to Cheney. You'd probably need something like a group of happy children or cute puppies to repel him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    No, I think that would just keep slugs away...
    There's very differing schools of thought with keeping slugs at bay. A morning routine of chopping them in two with scissors works well: the birdies are grateful for breakfast. So it's win-win.

Result.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

we have a cute doggy!

I was thinking that it was a superstition that a circle of salt kept demons out... and slugs