• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

numbers and words

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I have been thinking about this?
Why can't you build meaning with numbers like you do with words and letters?
Afterall, they are both symbols.
Can you invent a language of purely numbers?

P

Phantonym

:hi: 1001000 1000101 1001100 1001100 1001111 a.k.a. Hello!

Teehee. Well, math is supposed to be the universal language. Anything is possible, people would just have to get used to it. Whether it will be something that could become widely used, like English, I'm not so sure about that. It takes a long time to establish something like that.

Think about Esperanto. It's still based on other languages but it is a constructed language. It's been around for over a century. Estimated speakers: up to 2 million, which is not that big of a deal in my opinion but I guess it's still better than nothing.

The same can be done with numbers, constructing a new language based on numbers.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How about the flipside: extending the letters to a complete integer system (complete with addition and multiplication tables):

Alphabetic Integers

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I was imaging a language of pure numbers? But those are nice suggestions.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
maths is the only universal language used to communicate maths, stats, physics and to an extent other pure theory subject

binary is another mathematical language....

Not sure what the purpose of this thread is

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
dont like synestheets or whoever "sees" numbers as colors and shapes do somehting like this?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
maths is the only universal language used to communicate maths, stats, physics and to an extent other pure theory subject

binary is another mathematical language....

Not sure what the purpose of this thread is

mathematics is not a language. There is no meaning embedded in it.
Ifg I say 01465636857, do you understand what i am saying? or if I speak everything in terms of formulas, what is the meaning i am trying to communicate?

This is important because we think in words and languages. The structure of all information is is either based on words and numbers. If you think in numbers rather than words, what does it mean.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
the confusion with constructing a language based totally on numbers- if we're speaking of a spoken language- would be that words are based on a combination of sounds, not purely on meanings- to be able to speak a language it must be phonetically speakable! :)

If numbers were corresponded to the different symbols of the IPA (international phonetic alphabet, for those who didn't have to take several linguistics classes!) then it might be a possibility, but you'd have to find some way to seperate them, as there are certainly more than 10 symbols :yes:

written would be easier- I have some friends who occasionally write in binary and can read it, but a spoken language based on numbers sounds rather iffy as far as practicality goes :)

Hope that's along the lines of what type of answer you're looking for!