User Tag List

12311 Last

Sniffles

Thumbs down Catholic ban on women priests 'illegal under Harriet Harman equality bill'

A new report by the leading charity – backed by a legal opinion from a leading QC – says the Bill will make it impossible for all churches and faith-based charities to insist that their senior staff lead private lives in accordance with their religious beliefs.

CARE said that, under the Bill, which will be considered by the House of Lords on Monday, it would be illegal for a Christian charity to sack a senior manager for adultery or living an openly gay lifestyle.

The same rules would, it added, apply to Muslim and Jewish churches and charities.

However, the biggest potential showdown is likely to be between the government and Britain's 4.3 million Catholics over the church's tradition of an all-male, celibate priesthood.

Previous legislation in 2007, also backed by Ms Harman, the Commons Leader and equality minister, forced the closure of two Catholic adoption agencies for refusing to comply with new laws requiring them to place children with gay couples.

CARE's report – A Little Bit Against Discrimination? – warns that the proposals contained in the Bill are a serious threat to religious liberty in Britain.

John Bowers QC said in a legal opinion for CARE that the Bill could make it unlawful for a church to require a priest or minister to be male, celibate and unmarried, or not in a civil partnership.
    Catholic ban on women priests 'illegal under Harriet Harman equality bill' - Telegraph

So this means that the Catholic Relief Act of 1829 is now null and void?

MBTI
    ENTP

Hud-me-back, I spy a career move...

Sniffles

Well it's not the first time the English government sought to interfere with church affairs:
    [youtube="TZuc_fdMe64"]Sir Thomas More speaks out[/youtube]
    "The indictment is grounded in an Act of Parliament which is directly repugnant to the Law of God, the supreme government of which, or of any part whereof, may no temporal prince presume by any law to take upon him, as rightfully belonging to the See of Rome, a spiritual preeminence by the mouth of our savior himself, personally present upon the earth, only to St. Peter and his successors, bishops of the same see, by special prerogative granted; it is therefore in law amongst Christian men insufficient to charge any Christian man. And more to this the immunity of the Church is promised both in Magna Carta and the King's own Coronation Oath!"

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've never gotten WHY religions seem to think that women are less holy or something than men are... it's not like we get to CHOOSE what gender we are or anything

I'm supportive of the idea of women becoming priests, or for that sake priests getting married, or finding the same sex love of their life or whatever... as long as they're good priests and they're not molesting children or taking bribes or killing people or something else that's obviously illegal, their personal lives are just that- THEIR personal lives
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

They're smart for doing this. I'm sure that God didn't create every human equally. He wants certain people to not be able to move up in their religious life; and wants certain people to be discriminated against. It would be sacrilege to allow women, who are only different based on reproductive organs, to be able to be a priest. Their logic just makes sense, no?

I'm being sarcastic if you can't tell. Their logic is kind of ridiculous, it makes fun of itself when I read it.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

I've never gotten WHY religions seem to think that women are less holy or something than men are... it's not like we get to CHOOSE what gender we are or anything
    There are female saints and doctors of the Church.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    They're smart for doing this. I'm sure that God didn't create every human equally. He wants certain people to not be able to move up in their religious life; and wants certain people to be discriminated against. It would be sacrilege to allow women, who are only different based on reproductive organs, to be able to be a priest. Their logic just makes sense, no?
    You're completely missing the point. It's one thing if you're the member of a church to push for what you believe should be the proper policies of that church. It's another for government to take away people's religious liberties by setting those policies for them.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    NICE

Looking forward to women players in the Premiership.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

I'm supportive of the idea of women becoming priests, or for that sake priests getting married, or finding the same sex love of their life or whatever... as long as they're good priests and they're not molesting children or taking bribes or killing people or something else that's obviously illegal, their personal lives are just that- THEIR personal lives
    Women can be priests, just not in the Catholic church. Plenty of male priests leave the Catholic church for the Anglican church if they want to get married- and plenty of women who want to become priests also become Anglican. (Or one of the other traditions that allows women in the clergy.)

I may not agree with the Catholic church's viewpoint on this, but I sure don't want the government stepping in to change it by force.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    There are female saints and doctors of the Church.
    but females are still closed off from becoming priests, cardinals, the pope... its not fair- it's like saying "well, women can become the richest person in the country, and they can own companies, but they can't run for congress or be elected president"

exclusion from the high ranking positions is a form of discrimination- there's aspects of catholicism that I like, but I can't overlook the discrimination against women in ranking positions- that's pretty unforgivable in my book :steam:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett