User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 127

  1. #51
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    C'mon the Church once believed the Sun revolved around the Earth.
    This thread really isn't supposed to be about stances on the Church, it's about government intervention in religion.
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

  2. #52
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    And even after Confirmation, the priests still hold guns to the children's heads just in case they think about not attending mass, or heaven forbid, renounce the Catholic faith.
    Under Islam the punishment for apostasy is death.

    However Saint Augustine taught the apostates should be put to death and Saint Thomas Aquinas thought apostates should be tortured.

    However liberal democratic Governments have limited the power of the Church to torture and put apostates to death.

    And to their credit the Roman Catholic Church now accepts these limitations on its power.

  3. #53
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Under Islam the punishment for apostasy is death.

    However Saint Augustine taught the apostates should be put to death and Saint Thomas Aquinas thought apostates should be tortured.

    However liberal democratic Governments have limited the power of the Church to torture and put apostates to death.

    And to their credit the Roman Catholic Church now accepts these limitations of its power.
    I'd like a separate thread to be started posts with anti-Catholic insinuations like that, so we can discuss them properly without detracting from the issue of government interference with religious liberty.
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

  4. #54
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    I'd like a separate thread to be started posts with anti-Catholic insinuations like that, so we can discuss them properly without detracting from the issue of government interference with religious liberty.
    And while it is true Islam takes offence at cartoonists, it seems a little much for Catholicism to take offence at posters.

  5. #55

    Default

    Its all the muddled BS of the temporal powers, I stopped giving a damn about them after communism, fascism and Nazism, if those things werent mad and bad enough they're legislating to change the meaning of standard english with same sex "marriages" and stuff like that. Just ignore them.

  6. #56
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And while it is true Islam takes offence at cartoonists, it seems a little much for Catholicism to take offence at posters.
    No really, would you want to make another thread?
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

  7. #57
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its all the muddled BS of the temporal powers, I stopped giving a damn about them after communism, fascism and Nazism, if those things werent mad and bad enough they're legislating to change the meaning of standard english with same sex "marriages" and stuff like that. Just ignore them.
    Well, the French have their Academy of France to maintain standard French. So perhaps we should follow their good example and have an Academy of English to maintain standard English.

    And of course the first mission of the Academy of English would be to standardise English in the works of Shakespeare.

  8. #58
    See Right Through Me Bubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    In terms of government making people do things in their religion: dislike. In terms of my religion handling this themselves: like.

    I have really a few issues with my faith, and they all boil down to one rule: Humility. Humility is accepting that the rules of the Catholic church are to be obeyed out of trust, even when you don't understand them.

    Ok, personally, I'm not for that. God gave us brains to reason with. And I believe if God wants us to do something, He'll leave us ample reasoning to follow through with it. And in the case of women not becoming priests, I see no reasoning. Having gone to parochial school 14 years, I asked many many religion teachers this question. I always heard "Well, Jesus didn't make his disciples female," and "we do respect women, but in different ways."

    I have a rebuttal to this. Women were, in fact, disciples of Christ. Maybe not Apostles, but disciples. And there were women deaconesses in the early church, and if we know what a deacon is, it's usually someone on the way to priesthood. Also, the act of determining who got to be a priest was decided post-Jesus. So basically it's Peter and the Apostles--men who, due to the culture of their time period, would never even consider women being priests--who had that choice to make.

    The Church has always had a hard time changing, and I believe if enough voices of reason within it speak up, we may gain a foothold. I hear all the time about the lack of priests in our era, and this would be a wonderful way to fix it.

    C'mon the Church once believed the Sun revolved around the Earth.
    So did everyone until they realized Galileo was onto something. Sure, the Church reacted like idiots, but they didn't invent this opinion. What's your point.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

    My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

    DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

  9. #59
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I notice you say that a lot. Usually when you can't think of anything remotely comprehensible to say back.
    Fuh fuh fuh for real.

  10. #60
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    oh- I think that church and state mix like hairdryers and baths... mostly out of fear of the church even further corrupting the state
    Actually it was the other way around: seperation of church and state came about to protect the Church from interference from the state. This was a common problem in England, not just with Henry VIII (to which St. Thomas More went to his death) but centuries earlier with King Henry II, to which St. Thomas Becket also went to his death standing up to royal authority.

    If you're ever looking for a good movie to watch, along with A man for all seasons, you might also enjoy Becket with Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton at their acting primes:
    [youtube="y6V85T_Qk8g"]Becket movie[/youtube]

Similar Threads

  1. Florida Judge Overturns Ban On Gay Adoption
    By 01011010 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 03:30 PM
  2. Ban on Short Selling
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 05:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO