First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    You're completely missing the point. It's one thing if you're the member of a church to push for what you believe should be the proper policies of that church. It's another for government to take away people's religious liberties by setting those policies for them.
    I was being sarcastic. What they have done is totally ridiculous. Their logic just seems to make fun of itself if you lay it out.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Women can be priests, just not in the Catholic church. Plenty of male priests leave the Catholic church for the Anglican church if they want to get married- and plenty of women who want to become priests also become Anglican. (Or one of the other traditions that allows women in the clergy.)

I may not agree with the Catholic church's viewpoint on this, but I sure don't want the government stepping in to change it by force.
    not saying that the govt should change it

just saying that I can't respect a church that would penalize me based on how I was born

I can't respect something that doesn't respect me
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    but females are still closed off from becoming priests, cardinals, the pope... its not fair- it's like saying "well, women can become the richest person in the country, and they can own companies, but they can't run for congress or be elected president"

exclusion from the high ranking positions is a form of discrimination- there's aspects of catholicism that I like, but I can't overlook the discrimination against women in ranking positions- that's pretty unforgivable in my book :steam:
    Then send your complaints to Christ, since it's upon his example and teachings the Church declares female priests impossible.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

then fine- jesus DOESN'T love me *pouts*
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

DISCLAIMER:
    No offense to you at all Peguy, seriously, I respect you very much.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Regarding the OP...
    What about post-operative transexuals?
    Seriously.

I think the Catholic church needs to get a clue.

I was raised Roman Catholic, albeit in a military family, so the whole "thou shalt not kill" concept was always understood to be coupled with a rider of "unless it is with an M-16."

How can priests be expected to be capable of giving counsel to their parishoners, especially with regard to being a good husband, or a good father, if they are not allowed to make that journey themselves?

Who says that the perspective of women is not needed by people seeking spiritual guidance?

In my opinion, accepting marital advice, or advice on fatherhood from a man who has never been married or shouldered the workload of a husband/father is incomplete at best.

I equivocate that to needing advice while running a fission reactor, and seeking it from physicist who in theory knows hiow ones works but who has never sat at the control panel of the reactor.

After Cardinal Law and the Boston Archdiocese scandal the Catholic church lost ALOT of credibility in my eyes. As an organization, they are beleaguered with outdated rules, practices, and customs, and continue to allow the church to be run by a bunch of narrow minded greedy old men.

Organized religion is just a sore topic for me. Any time I hear of it beyond the local level it seems to be more and more problematic than beneficial.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

If Jesus really said "no women allowed!" then he's a dumbass and nobody should listen to him anyways.

MBTI
    INTP

I've never gotten WHY religions seem to think that women are less holy or something than men are... it's not like we get to CHOOSE what gender we are or anything

I'm supportive of the idea of women becoming priests, or for that sake priests getting married, or finding the same sex love of their life or whatever... as long as they're good priests and they're not molesting children or taking bribes or killing people or something else that's obviously illegal, their personal lives are just that- THEIR personal lives
    All of that is irrelevant; the above laws are an unconscionable and indefensible violation of religious liberty.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    If Jesus really said "no women allowed!" then he's a dumbass and nobody should listen to him anyways.
    Fuh fuh fuh

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

just saying that I can't respect a church that would penalize me based on how I was born

I can't respect something that doesn't respect me
    I can't respect something that doesn't respect women either. Seems ignorant.

It seems like anybody using SOME common sense could realize how dumb it is. It's just more trouble to discriminate based on gender. More priests = more members, right? Also other women seeing the female leader figure would feel more comfortable.

Fail.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro