User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    [youtube="oUEGlVUJ4bc"]Apology to "forgotten Australians" for abuse[/youtube]

Of course Victor doesn't like addressing this story. Nah...he prefers to talk about Catholic priests. He wants to deny this happened, that these people enjoyed a "better life"; even though his own government officially acknowledges they were victimized. Victor wants to make sure the "forgotten Australians" remain forgotten.
    There's a reason Peguy that Christians get bashed rather than, for instance radical muslims or radical Jewry, and a reason why within Christianity its the RC church that gets bashed rather than any other.

Its the same reason that grannies get mugged rather than hells angels. :

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's a reason Peguy that Christians get bashed rather than, for instance radical muslims or radical Jewry, and a reason why within Christianity its the RC church that gets bashed rather than any other.

Its the same reason that grannies get mugged rather than hells angels. :
    Granny is culturally hegemonic? Good for her, I always thought she'd make something of herself.

MBTI
    NICE

Default Therapy Lesson 1: The Enter Key

I'm not going to argue [...] when its as easy as what it is to get access to libraries or books.
    You, sir, are a numpty.

Dont make me laugh, there's a bunch of RCs participating in this thread and this thread is the same as the discussions that take place in real life.

Seriously, you guys look silly when you pretend that the Vatican is anything like Beijing or Stalin's Kremlin or North Korea.
    The fact remains that the Pope has ordered the Church not to debate the ordination of women. And the Church has complied, as it does.

And the fact is that any debate about the ordination of women takes place outside the Church - like here for instance.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The fact remains that the Pope has ordered the Church not to debate the ordination of women. And the Church has complied, as it does.
    The Pope is head of the Church, so that goes without saying.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

The Pope is head of the Church, so that goes without saying.
    Holy crap, Victor just made a point. A really good one at that.

Sniffles

Yeah it's amazing how anti-Catholicism always bring people together.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

And the fact is that any debate about the ordination of women takes place outside the Church - like here for instance.
    "This message from Rome is the last gasp of desperate and insecure men trying to shore up a crumbling status quo. Roman Catholic women will be ordained priests -- perhaps sooner than we think." Sister Maureen Fiedler, over National Public Radio

The ordination of women in the Roman Catholic Church
    Association for the Rights of Catholics in the Church
    Call To Action
    CATHOLIC PRIEST RESIGNS FROM THE PRIESTLY MINISTRY BECAUSE OF CONFLICT OF CONSCIENCE

Some people just do it and blatantly ignore being excommunicated:
    Women Priests Protest Catholic Doctrine - KYPost.com

We're not mindless unless we choose to be. And the Catholic church has reformed itself over other issues in the past. Excuse me for being so bold, but I think I talk to more Catholics than you do, and don't think we don't ever discuss this. Youth groups, Bible studies, with our priests! The topic is fully alive. It's here. We're not stupid.

Just because our religion has a God-awful rule doesn't mean we should dump the whole thing completely. Some of us are interested in fixing it from within.

Galileo's ideas took hold eventually.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    INtP

How is this disrespectful towards women? As I just said, practically anyother office or title is open to women - including sainthood.
    I'll say right up front that I'm not religious, so take that as you may. But this argument seems incredibly specious. That's like saying "Women can do *almost* anything they want to for a living -- well, unless they want a career outside the home. That's for men." It doesn't mean that making an "allowed" choice isn't a good one, but it *is* a restriction of employment based solely on gender. In any other context, that's called sexual discrimination. And isn't sainthood generally only a posthumous thing?

Religion in general seems to "benefit" (and I use the term loosely, if not sarcastically) from a huge double standard here. Say that I were to start an organization focused on counseling, history, charity, and social activities and put meeting places in neighborhoods all over the country. Then say I were to dictate that the head of each and every one of these local groups, as well as every decision-maker in the administrative hierarchy, *must* be a man, no questions, no exceptions, irrespective of other qualifications, because men and women have different biological roles. I'd get raked through the coals, quite likely sued into oblivion, and potentially prosecuted. Yet religions get a pass on this (granted, there are many that don't adhere to this these days). Why?

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    exclusion from the high ranking positions is a form of discrimination- there's aspects of catholicism that I like, but I can't overlook the discrimination against women in ranking positions- that's pretty unforgivable in my book :steam:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    Some of us are interested in fixing it from within.

Galileo's ideas took hold eventually.
    I don't know how many priests have told me that the Church is not a democracy. So in reality, your chances of fixing it from within are slim.

The Church has apologized for giving Galileo short shrift - 500 years later.

And the Church has said the Inquisition was a mistake - some mistake, it ran for 600 years.

And the Church has apologized for child sexual abuse but it still continues in the Philippines and South America.

The Church has apologized for being anti-Judaic for 2,000 years but denies anti-semitism and any responsibility for the shoah.

And the Church keeps on telling Africans that condoms are worse then AIDS.

You'll fix it from within? Tell that to Galileo, the victims of the Inquisition, the victims of child sexual abuse, Africans and Jews.

I don't think women should hold their breath.