User Tag List

123 Last

Default Philosophy or Psychology?

Which has proven the most helpful or comforting to you? I think there's consolation in each.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Philosophy by far: Kant and Smith can make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. however, no class has scared the shit out of me more than Social Psychology and learning about the milgram experiments, social exchange theory, conformity experiments, etc.

Sniffles

Philosophy definately.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Under the broadest definitions of philosophy; psychology is philosophy. And all social and natural science is philosophy.

Under another definition, science essentially came from philosophy, and is almost like a more lasered-in and precise version of philosophy. Like before we had modern physical science, we had natural philosophy.

So really, ya gotta give it up for philosophy at large.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Which has proven the most helpful or comforting to you? I think there's consolation in each.
    Your question is far too broad. If you are looking for comfort by answering questions about the world that aren't easily researched on the empirical level such those regarding morality, consciousness and free will, then philosophy is a better fit. If you're looking to develop abstract reasoning skills in general so you could be prepared to solve all kinds of difficult problems in life then philosophy is also a better fit. Yet if you are looking to answer concrete, specific and empirically researchable questions about human behavior such as for example how people behave when they feel they are going to die next year, how an anxiety disorder impacts the life of an average person and so forth, then psychology will be of greater service to you than philosophy.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Helpful or comorting to me? I dunno... Both in ways. I'd say that philosophy is more important, because without there is no science of math or anything. But that's not what you were asking

MBTI
    xxxx

Philosophy, including the of psychology.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

I am more partial to the scientific method, under which Psychology can conform, as a practical application. As well, Psychology aims to understand the cognitive mind, our behaviours, interactions, intent, while Philosophy answers questions rising out of our metacognition. I'm fascinated with any undertaking that studies the mind, itself. So, psychology wins.

(and I agree with those that say that we cannot always cleanly separate the two disciplines, and that the development of the scientific method can be attributed to philosophy)

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

psychology has never been comforting to me so i'll go with philosophy
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INTj

Neither. Nothing beats comfort food!