User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy or Psychology?

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Your question is far too broad.
    If it helps I was thinking in the context of the Consolations of Philosophy.

Also there's a branch of therapy in the US, heavily influenced by Ayn Rand, which refer to themselves as Philosophical Practitioners, they eschew psychology and psychiatry (with the possible exception of some of Freud) in favour of Aristotle etc.

I was going for that essential contrast or dichotomy. Of late I've derived more consolation from psychology, it makes life more explicable to me, my self, others, meaning. Although I would say that there is a blurring of the boundaries and can concur with the people in this thread who said they are closely related fields.

5w6 sp/so
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Which has proven the most helpful or comforting to you? I think there's consolation in each.
    Philosophy is my fun and mind's stimulant and food. It provides pathways for me to move throughout my life. Psychology is what I experiment with. It let's me understand people and their motives. Reading them like a book.

There is, of course, more to it. The question must be extended to reach a more precise conclusion.

Senior Member Array

Definitely philosophy! Psychology depresses me. Well, not all psychology. There is well-written psychology that recognises things such as spirituality... I like humanist psychology. But some psychology feels very cold and depressing. I started studying it as a minor at my university but felt so anguished by its contents that I decided to minor in something else. I don't want to read about "normal, succesful" development and "abnormal, unsuccesful" development and feel like a loser whose life is never going to be good. Besides, psychology puts people in boxes all the time, and I just don't want to do that, not all the time anyway. I don't want to build a worldview based on putting people into boxes, always knowing the average behaviour, the normal behaviour... no, not for me.

At least three of my peers reported similar feelings after studying one course of psychology at university.

Philosophy, on the other hand, is my comforter and friend. It helps to focus on that which is important.

Ironically, I received an award in psychology in high school.

Banned Array

When I went through an existential crisis and extreme cognitive dissonance, I could not stomach philosophy. I still can't look at it in the same way. There's an inner nihilist I thought I could constrain (when I eventually stopped kidding myself and realised it was there) that comes out, when I contemplate anything remotely philosophical. When I felt very depressed, I simply did not want to think about philosophy; it meant nothing to me, because philosophy was nothing and so was I. Make sense?

I turned to auto self psychology to get out of a very dark period... Learning about my own nature, which I had dissarmed and tried to distroy, learning self observation/analysis and objective introspection.
    "knowing thyself" has been the best path I have ever found myself on. It feels promising... it feels 'right'. I found this through psychology. Not via philosophy. It released me from black/white thinking, taught me self honesty, showed me the dillusions I blind myself with...

It's an ongoing process obviously.

Sigh, as usual, I digress..

I used psychology in my own way. Not in the clinical sense seen above.

Perhaps one day, I will be able to turn back to philosophy; I slowly am now. I think stabilizing my thoughts and emotions is imperative to really grasp philosophy anyway.

Lungs & Lips Locked Array Unkindloving's Avatar

Psychology, but based on slight knowledge of both.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

I agree that it's hard to compare the two. Based on comfort, I'd go with psychology.

I wouldn't call anything "comforting" that philosophy gave me. At all. On the other hand, describing certain deviancies with the help of psychology makes life a lot easier for me.

I thought about this lately, and (especially lately) psychology comes out as the far favourite (philosophy interest waning much (though still running in the background), psychology (being a more recent interest) continuing on, mainly in the (crossover?) form of Jung)
    INtj | 9w1

Member Array

At the offset we have 2 problems with Psychology:
    1. Although the symptoms of mental disorder overlap (even conflate) Psychology seeks to demarcate bounds in order to distinguish among them. The absurdity of all this is that in seekeing precision other symptoms will be added (which are normal) and thus each individual regardless of whether the individual has a mental problem or not will be fitted into a certain compartment. (Perhaps Psychology needs to define what is 'normal' anymore)..
    2. Statistically, Psychology seeks to mimic science (the ultimate goal is to become one-a hopeless task) by seekeing causes and effects. For instance a research study hypothesizes: "An individual who harbors a spontaneous thought (e.g. to fantasize about women) increases the probability that that thought will be enacted. What Psychology seems to have a difficulty with is to provide a counterhypothesis to that which invokes question of the type 'what happens if the individual supresses that thought?' There certainly has to be negative consequences to supressing such thoughts. How do we respond to such difficulties? By employing Philosophy.

468 sx/sp

Philosophy, particularly BoŽthius.