User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Default Consciousness after death...

I was just thinking. If there was still consciousness after death but the consciousness didn't "go" anywhere (heaven, hell, valhalla, whatever you like), well, can you imagine how horrific that would be?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISFJ

Some people can have fun without getting off their arse ya know? They are called Ps.

I don't see the big deal...

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Some people can have fun without getting off their arse ya know? They are called Ps.

I don't see the big deal...
    I don't know, the idea of having all my neurons eaten out while I'm still trying oh-so-feebly to use them kind of gets to me.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Why would your consciousness be associated with/near your body at that point?

for that matter, what the hell is consciousness dependent upon? are neurons the only "magical" matter in the universe that can produce consciousness? Why?

Can I imagine how horrible that would be? Probably.

What do you mean by consciousness "not going anywhere"? If consciousness follows the same "laws" as physical bodies, it will go somewhere in space-time. Is that any consolation?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

I don't really believe in consciousness. It's an illusion. So if it doesn't exist, it can't go anywhere either.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    I don't really believe in consciousness. It's an illusion. So if it doesn't exist, it can't go anywhere either.
    See, I'm of the opposite opinion.

The only thing that exists is consciousness, as I still have yet to see evidence for anything else's existence. Though that leads me to agnosticism, acting as though nothing else exists, as opposed to actually denying that anything else exists; No evidence, no assumptions.

So, to the question, I guess it would mean proof is required that brain or the any of the world continues on if consciousness changes or ceases.

It would be very strange if conscious experience didn't change but the brain did, those two things usually correlate. So I doubt emotions and all that would be anything like they are when you're alive. In fact, I would be very surprised if, assuming consciousness continues after death, anything about it remains similar to what we have experienced in this existence.

If it did, it would be frustrating, but you'd adapt, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Why would your consciousness be associated with/near your body at that point?

for that matter, what the hell is consciousness dependent upon? are neurons the only "magical" matter in the universe that can produce consciousness? Why?
    Well, consciousness itself doesn't correlate to the brain any more than to a rock. However, the conscious experiences that we have correlate consistently with brain. So conscious experience, at least the conscious experiences we correlate to the brain, would presumably be strongly affected by the destruction of the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    See, I'm of the opposite opinion.

The only thing that exists is consciousness, as I still have yet to see evidence for anything else's existence. Though that leads me to agnosticism, acting as though nothing else exists, as opposed to actually denying that anything else exists.
    What evidence for consciousness have you seen? I might see a certain 'awareness' in species like humans as a whole. But individual consciousness, I doubt that exists. It's purely mechanical. And wont change when you die, only transform to another state of energy. Split and divided to a whole ant hive, or any other thing. It's a part of the weather system.

you should check out some definitions for "awareness" and "consciousness".
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Why?