User Tag List

123 Last

Default The occult and magic

Well, there's a lot of God haters and athiests on the forum so I dont expect there will be but are there any believers in the occult and magic around?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Proud pagan here
    I have no sense of humour.

Sniffles

Ehhh....I'm Catholic - close enough.

MBTI
    STFU

if we are all vibration, and vibration creates sound, then everything is sound. so if sound is creation, and speech is the primary tool in magic, then every time we speak we are performing magic.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

*raises hand*

Proud Treehugger here!

Quote Originally Posted by syndatha View Post
    Proud pagan here
    Ohh, any chance you're of the Norse Tradition?

Odinist? Asatruar? Norse Wicca? Heathen?

Feel free to refrain from commenting if that's too personal a question
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Norse wicca -
    BB
    I have no sense of humour.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Ha, kewl!

Trad Hedgewitch, here, I work with the Norse Trad myself
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    infp

I would love to believe in it the way I did when I was younger, but I've never seen anything, nor felt anything amazing the many times I did dabble in it, so I don't.

It was so much fun back when I did believe lol with my daydreaming imagination, the chance to believe that some wicked book I read, might have a real version of itself in this world was an almost magical feeling in itself.

My willingness to believe in the unseen faded when my belief in a deity did.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Occult is a huge filed, some of it may believable others not....

Occult is just a term that classifies probably 2 dozen systems within it... a fair few of the those systems inter-relate....

Numerlogy, relates, to Tarrot, relates to Astrology, relates to hamonic stuff etc.....

Druidisim can involve magic, but then magic can also be stand alone etc.... And we've nto talked Alcamy

Hence even to evaluate some of the areas in any depth take a lot of time.

From the outside world looking in, I practice astrology, which is far more analytical than almost all of the other subject.

The world looks down on Occult subject but there is much the world at large can learn from them, many aspects of medicine have truely bizar origins. I'd be interested to see how far light and magnetic therapies can take people etc.

If people looked at modern western medicine rationally, they would see that most medicine is practice on the premis of "we dont' know why it works it just does", most medicines supress symptoms not treat the problem (easter medicine is different), it's quite scary when you scratch the surface

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    My willingness to believe in the unseen faded when my belief in a deity did.
    Yes, for some the fading of belief in a particular deity tends to led to the fading of belief in the supernatural.

When we can no longer suspend our disbelief in a particular deity, we are less inclined to suspend our disbelief in any deity.

There was an interesting exception in Australia and we found that quite a few of ex-catholics became communists. It was plainly the substitution of one faith with another.

But with the invasion of Hungary and finally the fall of the Berlin Wall, the line to Moscow went dead.

However with the decline of Catholic Religious Orders most of them adopted the belief in Social Justice. It was plain they could not quite give up their belief so they transferred it to Social Justice.

I think the problem is that they couldn't give up their institution and so they found a new way to perpetuate it. And they have been remarkably successful as Social Justice is the ideology du jour. Even our Prime Minister, an ex-catholic, believes in Social Justice.

I keep telling them that although we have Courts of Justice in Canberra, equal to the best in the world, there is not even one Court of Social Justice.

And so it is impossible to go to Court and ask for Social Justice. And I say that Social Justice is the kind of justice you have when you are not having any justice.

And in fact Social Justice is dispensed as charity to the poor.

And it is the well-off who dispense charity at their discretion to the deserving poor.

So for institutions, belief is a moveable feast - a kind of magic pudding.

And the more you eat of a magic pudding, the more there is.

And we shouldn't be surprised as magic appeals to the child in all of us.