User Tag List

First 123

you created optimism?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    you created optimism?
    My brand of optimism, yes. But that was not what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that you can believe in whatever you want and create all kinds of absolutes...in your mind.

I see what you're saying. Interpreting that into my language:

All phenomena are subject to an individuals interpretation of the perception of those phenomena. It's usually assumed that there are certain absolute truths, unfortunately we can only make assumptions about what those truths are or would be.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Well, but nihilists don't seem to usually believe in CREATING your meanings. Which I do. Like optimism. It's not real or objective but it can be USEFUL.
    you can believe in whatever you want and create all kinds of absolutes...in your mind.
    Yeah, this is why I am 'investigating' nihilism, it seems to allow for created and positive meanings but doesnt give off a positive vibe.

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

You know ... "relativism" and "everything is relative" are not quite the same thing based off our snippits from Wikipedia ...

Absolutes (such as "everything is relative") can and must exist in an entirely relative world. There's a sense in which that's just obvious, and it is a beneficial result if the two can coexist peacefully. Obviously, proclaiming the absence of absolutes is inadvisable, so it is good if that can be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by lamp View Post
    Is is sufficient to believe that things can matter to you personally, while being neither good nor bad, or meaningless, objectively?
    Nice try.

you can believe in whatever you want and create all kinds of absolutes...in your mind.
    This is ambiguous between multiple possible readings.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.