User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Interesting video about Procrastination...

Check this out:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1WC6hNTONg"]Procrastination[/YOUTUBE]

It's not a typical idea, watch the whole thing. It'd be worth it.

It gets to the root of why procrastination exists in the first place, not to curb or lessen it.

I liked it.

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

This man seems to be talking about our innate distaste for anything that removes our personal autonomy. That is not procrastination. Procrastination is the voluntary delay in task completion despite expecting to be worse off for it. This whole slave/master concept is not quite accurate because of this voluntary component of procrastination.

Procrastination is essentially self-regulatory failure; an archetypal human failing. The causes of procrastination are rooted in task aversion, but not in the way the man above talks about (defiance). Procrastination is causally related to:

- Task characteristics: such as timing of rewards and punishments and task adversiveness (how unpleasant the task itself is)

-Individual differences: such as conscientiousness, self-efficacy, aptitude, depression (energy level), distractibility etc...

-Outcome: how much the individual values the consequences of their actions and their expectancy that they can in fact achieve their goal.

From this we can deduct someone will procrastinate less if you make a task more pleasurable, give them a shorter time frame (or divide a task into bits), increase one's expectancy of success, give greater incentive (value), remove distractions from work area etc...

I think I almost feel resentment towards this man for his explanation and advice on procrastination. He's suggesting that changing some defiant attitude based in our autonomous nature is the cure when that will simply not solve a thing. People need to take personal responsibility for their lives, learn to control their impulses and form beneficial habits. His video is far too airy fairy to explain and solve something complex like procrastination. You need to get technical. Intrinsic motivation is central yes, but that is just the starting point. One needs to learn how to make work rewarding, be industrious and form powerful habits.

Timeless if you're particularly interested in procrastination I can link you to the most comprehensive study done to date on it complete with a meta-analysis and theoretical formulas . Forget this video, it does not address procrastination, except perhaps in a very indirect manner.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Thessaly View Post
    This man seems to be talking about our innate distaste for anything that removes our personal autonomy. That is not procrastination. Procrastination is the voluntary delay in task completion despite expecting to be worse off for it.
    But he's saying that the reason for the voluntary delay is that distaste. He doesn't explain it wonderfully, he seems to have talked for 20 minutes before realizing "Oh wait, I'm supposed to be talking about procrastination," but I follow his argument. That doesn't mean I necessarily agree with him. (Uh oh, I'm trying to debate without picking a side again...)

You're basically asking for more hard science, right? I agree this guy is a bit... Freudian. But I think in a self-help context there is limit to the usefulness of pure science; at some point you have to make a bit of a logical leap to bring it back to the individual level, since you can't make a science out of one person's behavior.

MBTI
    ENFP

I'll watch it later.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Hmmm.. Not sure. It may be worth a shot. It is funny to be watching a video on procrastination when in fact, you're doing it at the very moment your watching it. One of my problems is being a bit of a perfectionist and procrastinating because if I start something, I will want to do it right and know that will take a while to do.

MBTI
    ESTP

I did not watch the entire video and frankly, if it had been written it would have been much easier to follow, but I am not going to waste 30 minutes of my life to listen to a guy when the same stuff could have been read in 5 minutes. And secondly, after 5 minutes, it doesn't seem compelling enough.

All in all, I disagree that procrastination comes from the slave-master relationship between parents and children. This infers that everybody should suffer from procrastination. Maybe they do deep inside, maybe they don't. But it seems sort of contrived to me. I agree with Thessaly as to what the real solution to procrastination is.

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    But he's saying that the reason for the voluntary delay is that distaste. He doesn't explain it wonderfully, he seems to have talked for 20 minutes before realizing "Oh wait, I'm supposed to be talking about procrastination," but I follow his argument. That doesn't mean I necessarily agree with him. (Uh oh, I'm trying to debate without picking a side again...)

You're basically asking for more hard science, right? I agree this guy is a bit... Freudian. But I think in a self-help context there is limit to the usefulness of pure science; at some point you have to make a bit of a logical leap to bring it back to the individual level, since you can't make a science out of one person's behavior.
    I think he had some interesting commentary, but I'm not going to give him points for saying that people don't get things done right away because they don't particularly want to or a task isn't 100% their own choice.

I don't think I would call psychology pure science either. Yes, make it personal, but you're not going to get anywhere without understanding exactly what is at work.

Perhaps I'm a bit critical since I research assist for an industrial psychologist who is internationally recognized for this topic

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Thessaly View Post
    This man seems to be talking about our innate distaste for anything that removes our personal autonomy. That is not procrastination. Procrastination is the voluntary delay in task completion despite expecting to be worse off for it. This whole slave/master concept is not quite accurate because of this voluntary component of procrastination.

Procrastination is essentially self-regulatory failure; an archetypal human failing. The causes of procrastination are rooted in task aversion, but not in the way the man above talks about (defiance). Procrastination is causally related to:

- Task characteristics: such as timing of rewards and punishments and task adversiveness (how unpleasant the task itself is)

-Individual differences: such as conscientiousness, self-efficacy, aptitude, depression (energy level), distractibility etc...

-Outcome: how much the individual values the consequences of their actions and their expectancy that they can in fact achieve their goal.

From this we can deduct someone will procrastinate less if you make a task more pleasurable, give them a shorter time frame (or divide a task into bits), increase one's expectancy of success, give greater incentive (value), remove distractions from work area etc...

I think I almost feel resentment towards this man for his explanation and advice on procrastination. He's suggesting that changing some defiant attitude based in our autonomous nature is the cure when that will simply not solve a thing. People need to take personal responsibility for their lives, learn to control their impulses and form beneficial habits. His video is far too airy fairy to explain and solve something complex like procrastination. You need to get technical. Intrinsic motivation is central yes, but that is just the starting point. One needs to learn how to make work rewarding, be industrious and form powerful habits.

Timeless if you're particularly interested in procrastination I can link you to the most comprehensive study done to date on it complete with a meta-analysis and theoretical formulas . Forget this video, it does not address procrastination, except perhaps in a very indirect manner.
    Why not?

I'm open to everything and won't shoot down it. If I don't like it, then I'll shoot it down.

Goody!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I'm going to try what he says - at least for a little bit. What's to lose?

What he said does make kind of sense, but you don't have total freedom over your life.
    If you don't do anything, the boss won't pay you and without money, you live in the streets or starve to death.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.