• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

There are no Moral Absolutes is an Absolute

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
I just realized this and its kind of funny. You can't even make the statment "There are no Moral absolutes" because in doing so, You've just made an absolute statement, about a moral issue.

hm. we talked about this in my elementary ethics class today!

the teacher said that wasn't actually true.

but who knows..

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It may be an absolute, but not a moral absolute. So it stands.

"You can never count to infinity" is also an absolute, but it's absolutely true.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It may be an absolute, but not a moral absolute. So it stands.

“One should never kill” - Killing is always wrong. A moral absolute.

“There are no moral absolutes” - Killing is not always wrong, as it denies the previously mentioned absolute.

It's a moral disagreement.

Both can say that murder will happen and that not everyone thinks it is wrong. The factual disagreement is lacking.

Hence “there are no moral absolutes” is a moral absolute. It is making a moral statement that applies everywhere.

Solitary Walker, thanks for the response, and I will respond when I have time/can be bothered to give a thoughtful response.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
There's not a contradiction there. You can say there is no moral absolute, because absolute statements in and of themselves aren't inherently moral statements.

We're not talking about just any absolute statement. The reasoning does not support the claim.

The lack of moral absolutism is not a moral absolutism in and of itself.

There is no logical contradiction here.

You are making an absolute statement about morality. Statements about morality are moral statements. Therefore ... &c.

Right?

But I would grant you your argument if we distinguish between standing moral absolutes (such as the one in question) and another kind of absolute which isn't really an absolute at all (because they never quite hold ... granting your argument, e.g., it is always wrong to kill, or what have you).

Perhaps in that way both you and op can be correct.