User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 28 of 28

  1. #21
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sketchymcsketcherson View Post
    No offense, but does this fact really effect anything?

    This reminded me of the following Philosoraptor:
    95% of the things discussed here in the philosophy section don't have an affect on anything.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  2. #22
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,680

    Default

    Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

  3. #23
    Senior Member milkyway2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    I just realized this and its kind of funny. You can't even make the statment "There are no Moral absolutes" because in doing so, You've just made an absolute statement, about a moral issue.
    hm. we talked about this in my elementary ethics class today!

    the teacher said that wasn't actually true.

    but who knows..

  4. #24
    Senior Member sketchymcsketcherson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    95% of the things discussed here in the philosophy section don't have an affect on anything.
    Touche.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sketchymcsketcherson View Post
    Touche.
    Are you making a distinction between abstract and practical reason?

  6. #26
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    It may be an absolute, but not a moral absolute. So it stands.

    "You can never count to infinity" is also an absolute, but it's absolutely true.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    It may be an absolute, but not a moral absolute. So it stands.
    “One should never kill” - Killing is always wrong. A moral absolute.

    “There are no moral absolutes” - Killing is not always wrong, as it denies the previously mentioned absolute.

    It's a moral disagreement.

    Both can say that murder will happen and that not everyone thinks it is wrong. The factual disagreement is lacking.

    Hence “there are no moral absolutes” is a moral absolute. It is making a moral statement that applies everywhere.

    Solitary Walker, thanks for the response, and I will respond when I have time/can be bothered to give a thoughtful response.

  8. #28
    it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    There's not a contradiction there. You can say there is no moral absolute, because absolute statements in and of themselves aren't inherently moral statements.
    We're not talking about just any absolute statement. The reasoning does not support the claim.

    Quote Originally Posted by _Violence_ View Post
    The lack of moral absolutism is not a moral absolutism in and of itself.

    There is no logical contradiction here.
    You are making an absolute statement about morality. Statements about morality are moral statements. Therefore ... &c.

    Right?

    But I would grant you your argument if we distinguish between standing moral absolutes (such as the one in question) and another kind of absolute which isn't really an absolute at all (because they never quite hold ... granting your argument, e.g., it is always wrong to kill, or what have you).

    Perhaps in that way both you and op can be correct.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

Similar Threads

  1. [JCF] Why no type is an insult.
    By Crystal Winter Dream in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-28-2017, 07:24 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-08-2013, 11:30 PM
  3. [NT] There are no blonde ntps
    By entropie in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 05:20 AM
  4. Why do we seek moral absolutes?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 02:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO