123 Last

Thread: Could you kill?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Could you kill?

Well could you? Is it something which you'd need to be able to justify to yourself and others or would you require the sanction and support of an authority? What would that authority be if you answer this question that way? Or alternatively would you sacrifice yourself before you woud kill another and why would you do that?

I think one of the most powerful examples of this dilemma or question that I can think of was watching the film The Mission, two jesuits in a former slave plantation turned intentional religious community are confronted by the fact the slavers are descending upon them to annex or kill off the settlement.

They both know they are going to die, one dons his battle gear and goes out to give vane fight and die that way another goes out and leads a peaceful procession and is killed in a hail of shot. I remember an actual Jesuit priest who was watching this film with myself and my friends at the time asking us (or us asking him, I'm not sure it was a while ago) whether the example of the one or the other would be the one which we would follow.

I was sure at the time that I would give fight, no matter what, if its a foregone conclusion then make it as difficult for my foe to subdue me as possible. I'm still strongly inclined to think this yet. Although he said that he felt that way when he was a younger man and wouldnt give the same answer at the age he was now (I think still younger than forty) and that's always made me wonder.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I would like to think that nothing, not even my imminent death, could turn me into a killer.

I might answer differently if I had dependents.

MBTI
    ENFJ

yes. some people really need to die. mean brutal people who deserve to be removed from this earth. if i knew i woldnt get caught could i kill them though? in a fight, pulling a trigger, or by pushng a button? hard to say and all very hypothetical.....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

Enneagram
    9w8

To protect or defend, I would do what was needed to survive and ensure the same for my loved ones.

I would still feel the loss of death inflicted at my hands, though.

Phantonym

Yes. Given enough motivation, I could kill without blinking an eye. But it all depends, it could go either way. I could kill or I could sacrifice myself. Motivation is the key. In the heat of the moment and not even thinking about the consequences or some planned action.

I think it would really have to be something exceptional for me to plan ahead to kill somebody. In a war situation it might be "easier" than a single premeditated account of murder when you have time to think about the possibilities. You enter a state of mind that doesn't allow anything but tunnel vision, whether it is survival or protective instinct.

I know I could do it, though. I think everybody is capable of killing another person no matter what they say or think. If the circumstances are right. I would have to justify it to myself. But I also think that being pressured by some authority might do the trick as well. If given a choice between multiple negative outcomes, I would try to find a solution, "the lesser evil" option.

Hopefully I will never have to face such a thing.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oh yes, I can kill... I'm a mass murderer every summer bwa ha ha ha...

.... I like to garden
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    oh yes, I can kill... I'm a mass murderer every summer bwa ha ha ha...

.... I like to garden

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm pretty sure I couldn't. I guess I love people too much.
    Oh yeah?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I have zero doubt that I would kill to protect my children. I would kill so fast I wouldn't even know what I was doing. Beyond that, I have no idea.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I would kill so fast I wouldn't even know what I was doing.
    souns like you have ninja powers.....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.