First 12345 Last

Thread: Could you kill?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I believe everyone has the ability to kill, in the right situation.

Remember when I was on a trip with a friend the same age as me at about 12. My friend said that he did not think he could live with killing someone, just could not do it. I remember the statement came as a shock to me. Like why not? I did not say so. But dont think I would have any issues if I had to do it. Nothing I would want to do, but would if my life was on the line or something. I like to sacrifice myself for others, but not like this. There is a limit.

Senior Member sketchymcsketcherson's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

This is a question that some of us may never be able to answer unless that fateful time comes where we may have that opportunity.

The only time I could ever see myself killing is if someone were to walk up with malicious intent to kill me or one of my loved ones. Other than that, nope.

I think that even in war I would have a problem pulling the trigger. After all, what has this person done to me? Nothing, other than being born in the wrong country at the wrong time, a citizen of the wrong government.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

In self defense, or the protection of my loved ones, yes. Otherwise, no.

Most people have a self-preservation instinct that is not to be underestimated. You might be surprised at the violence you are capable of, given the right circumstances.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Yes i could kill if any of my loved ones or friends were deliberately killed or hurt. I would kill and unlike many i would not have any regrets about doing so. I guess humans respond by "blood calls for blood".
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Stories like "Precious" make me think if I were her, I would kill (both parents).
    But then to actually be in that situation, you might react differently.

(They just had a thread like this over on INTPc, and it seems to have just disappeared).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

"Born hunters, ISTP's are from an early age fascinated by weapons of all kinds, and soon learn to wield their weapons with lethal virtuosity, taking pride in their prowess. Warriors good and evil can be seen as weapons artists, not only the marksmen among soldiers and police, but also the mob hit man and the gunslinger of the American West. This is not to say that all warriors are ISTPs, or that all ISTPs are weapons experts, but that the weapons virtuoso is more frequently than not an ISTP."

The Crafter [ISTP] The nature of the ISTPs is most clearly seen in their masterful operation of tools, equipment, machines, and instruments of all kinds

Tru that!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8sx
    Socionics
    ENTJ

It's funny because when I was a little kid I was certain that I was going to kill someone some day. I imagined a person with my name written on their throat in invisible ink. The older I get, the less I feel that way. I've recently even been entertaining the idea of being anti death penalty. That's not to say I don't think there are people in this world who don't need killing.

MBTI
    INFP

Yes, I could kill in self or loved-ones defense - would I? That I hope to never have to find out. Whether I would survive afterward, or how long, is an entirely different question.

I used to not know the answer to this question, but after being physically attacked by a drunken asshole last year, I do now. I'm not a violent person by nature, or even an aggressive one. But I have a strong sense of justice, and when it is violated I can instantly fly into a rage.

When I was jumped, I entered a different frame of mind and could have easily stomped him to death without realizing the severity of my actions. In the flashpoint of that moment all that entered into the decision was that I was minding my own business, and this person had created the situation. I felt like my attacker had given up his right to mercy when he showed me none and made me defend myself. I didn't feel responsible, I felt intoxicated with righteousness.

Given time and consideration, I don't know if I could kill. Taking someone's life is not a decision I feel qualified to make. But I know that in a quickly unfolding and stressful situation I absolutely could, and I would wager that nearly all of us could. Even though we enjoy the polished veneer of a society of laws, we still have long-repressed animal instincts that served our ancestors well. And I think they can be accessed easier than we think.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari