MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    souns like you have ninja powers.....
    That's assuming that I was physically able to pull it off, which is not a given considering my size. Mentally and emotionally, there's no question. Times when I have perceived any threat towards my children and have felt myself flipping completely out of control with the need to protect them have convinced me that I'm capable of God only knows what. It's the inner mammal or something.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well could you? Is it something which you'd need to be able to justify to yourself and others or would you require the sanction and support of an authority? What would that authority be if you answer this question that way? Or alternatively would you sacrifice yourself before you woud kill another and why would you do that?

I think one of the most powerful examples of this dilemma or question that I can think of was watching the film The Mission, two jesuits in a former slave plantation turned intentional religious community are confronted by the fact the slavers are descending upon them to annex or kill off the settlement.

They both know they are going to die, one dons his battle gear and goes out to give vane fight and die that way another goes out and leads a peaceful procession and is killed in a hail of shot. I remember an actual Jesuit priest who was watching this film with myself and my friends at the time asking us (or us asking him, I'm not sure it was a while ago) whether the example of the one or the other would be the one which we would follow.

I was sure at the time that I would give fight, no matter what, if its a foregone conclusion then make it as difficult for my foe to subdue me as possible. I'm still strongly inclined to think this yet. Although he said that he felt that way when he was a younger man and wouldnt give the same answer at the age he was now (I think still younger than forty) and that's always made me wonder.
    Someone that I felt was comprimising my ideals, I might kill. If he was a person that I didn't think would ever bring any good into the world, and he had slighted me or mine then I would.

I would have to do it in cold blood and go about it rationally, though. I couldn't live with having done it otherwise.
    I'm not clever enough to have a signature.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I could, anybody could.

I really, really don't think I would.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

To protect my children or my husband? In a heartbeat. I'm not sure about other instances.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Yes. I'd kill.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

To protect the people I love, yes, without any doubt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

it's all situational, but yes, I would.

MBTI
    istp

It is not a big deal to make a summary judgement about the death of a stranger or -generally- someone perceived as "different", in the sense of "not one of us."
    The answers would have been different if the question was "could you kill your friend? your relative? your neighbour?".
    But killing a generic stranger is easy. Most wars are based on this psychological glitch, or in the evolving of it into a widespread culture of antagonism. The leader must instill "the thought of the enemy" in the minds of his followers. The other human must become "alien", to the point that -if properly motivated, usually with rage- they will kill him without thinking. This is achieved through careful planning and control of communications, and wartime propaganda.
    It is interesting to note that modern humanitarian culture succeeded in banning violence from public discourse, but left it completely acceptable in the realm of entertainment.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Winged View Post
    To protect or defend, I would do what was needed to survive and ensure the same for my loved ones. I would still feel the loss of death inflicted at my hands, though.
    Likewise -- I could kill in self-defense, and I would kill for my loved ones, but I don't do it lightly. I can deal with it, but it would still resonate in my mind for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by pardo View Post
    It is interesting to note that modern humanitarian culture succeeded in banning violence from public discourse, but left it completely acceptable in the realm of entertainment.
    After taking my teen boys to see Avatar 3D on Wednesday, I joked that it was a good thing the "love scene" was so short... Everyone knows it's okay to blow the crap out of other human beings and commit all levels of violence without losing your PG-13 rating but if you show a little too much skin, you're going straight to R or further. (Same with videogames.)

They laughed because they knew I was right.

It is not a big deal to make a summary judgement about the death of a stranger or -generally- someone perceived as "different", in the sense of "not one of us."
    Typically we psychologically define the other person as "Other" in order create the psychological space needed to kill them. If they are part of "Us," then it's like hurting/killing ourselves.

Some people are good at making this separation. For those of us who have trouble defining unrelated human beings as Other (due to some blend of broad humanitarianism on our parts), killing someone else will be troublesome even if we feel they had to be stopped/killed. We still recognized them as part of us, so it was more like amputating a limb.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTj

In many instances, killing is necessary to produce the most desirable outcome. Under those circumstances, I see no reason to be conflicted. An obvious example would be self defense.