User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 43

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    you're wrong. i can find plenty of examples of writing that is 3000 or 2000 years old that is completly strait forward and understandable.
    God for you.

    Written under persecution? Influenced by mystery schools and magic? Esoteric?

    I mean if you do I'd be interested to see them. They may not be that exciting but I'm inclined to be a fan of reading anyhow.

  2. #32
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, Descartes also set up a tragic mind-body dualism which has entered into the collective psyche of the west and makes for alienation and illness, its fundamentally different in asiatic countries were the dualism doesnt exist and doctrines like Zen instead encourage holistic consciousness.
    We perceive by making distinctions. And a distinction always has two sides. So our very perception is dualistic. The very way we know is dualistic. Our epistemology is dualistic.

    It is simply the political correctness of the bien-pensant which denigrates the West by valorizing the East on the immoral basis that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

    But the fact of the matter is that the West has led the world into the Enlightenment and the East is following.

    It's ironic, just as the East is following us into dualism and the Enlightenment, the bien-pensant of the West are discovering Zen and holistic consciousness.

  3. #33
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    And in doing so he was doing just the same thing as others
    What I and other Roman Catholics want is for criminal Bishops, Archbishops and Cardinals to be brought before the Criminal Courts.

    But so far not even one criminal Bishop has been brought before the Criminal Courts.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We perceive by making distinctions. And a distinction always has two sides. So our very perception is dualistic. The very way we know is dualistic. Our epistemology is dualistic.

    It is simply the political correctness of the bien-pensant which denigrates the West by valorizing the East on the immoral basis that the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

    But the fact of the matter is that the West has led the world into the Enlightenment and the East is following.

    It's ironic, just as the East is following us into dualism and the Enlightenment, the bien-pensant of the West are discovering Zen and holistic consciousness.
    And this is an example of both the impact of dualism and why its wrong.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    What I and other Roman Catholics want is for criminal Bishops, Archbishops and Cardinals to be brought before the Criminal Courts.

    But so far not even one criminal Bishop has been brought before the Criminal Courts.
    And this is in contrast to other institutional cover ups?

    Did you hear there was this war to keep the world safe from WMD...

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    After four thousand posts, if I were a troll I wouldn't be here.

    And I am a sacramental Roman Catholic in the Diocese of Canberra and Goulburn, Australia. And I am telling you we do not want you to continue the cover up of criminal, organised child rape within our Church.

    We will fight you at every opportunity and expose you.

    The Report of the Irish Government exposes you. The Report from the Government of Dublin exposes you. All of the criminal convictions across the civilized world expose you. And now History Departments of top Universities are exposing you.

    We know that criminal, child rape is still continuing in the Roman Catholic Church in the Philippines and South America.

    We will never allow you to cover it up again.

    Covering up child rape is a crime after the fact.
    Me? I don't consider myself a Roman Catholic any longer. Actually, I'm trying to convert to Orthodoxy, partly because of the corruption of the Roman church in modern times. What Sheen is referring to is the Truth of the Church, not the crimes committed under its roof.

  7. #37
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I don't consider myself a Roman Catholic any longer.
    So you are not a Roman Catholic but you are playing Catholic politics.

    And you have the hide to call me a troll.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So you are not a Roman Catholic but you are playing Catholic politics.

    And you have the hide to call me a troll.
    playing Catholic politics? I'm not defending anyone. This thread(and forum) is not about politics. I just mentioned Fulton Sheen in a post because i appreciate his insights and he gives a fair view of Christian philosophical thought for the average man.

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    playing Catholic politics? I'm not defending anyone. This thread(and forum) is not about politics. I just mentioned Fulton Sheen in a post because i appreciate his insights and he gives a fair view of Christian philosophical thought for the average man.
    I dont really understand that comment by Victor either.

    I'm not surprised at the shape the Church is in, its been deserted by its best followers in droves and what remains is not a pretty sight.

    Many of the prepetrators of abuse who took up residence within its structure did so because it was short cut to accessing the children or vulnerable people which they wished to abuse, like a serial killer joining the army to run amok in a free fire zone.

    Its often difficult realising just how bad things are but there's no way to make a start on changing without reaching that point, its a real question of were to from here but I dont believe the answer is migrating to another congregation, they are as liable to experience the same problems and perhaps have not the same insights as a result of experience. Precious metals are tempered by fire.

  10. #40
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Well your problem is you are humanizing God, and everything typed here is irrelevant.
    That sounds like quite a cop out to me.

    If God is not to be humanized, how does he even have a son or feel human emotions like love in the first place? Seems like you want to humanize God when it's convenient but not when it isn't.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Similar Threads

  1. Alcohol use throughout the ages: The importance of belief
    By Olm the Water King in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2016, 08:06 AM
  2. The process of becoming an artist
    By Tamske in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM
  3. The Process of Belief II
    By Ginkgo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2010, 04:40 PM
  4. Infinity through the process of elimination
    By Into It in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 03:43 PM
  5. The Process of Beef
    By onemoretime in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 04:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO