User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    No, because evidence indicates that the contrary is true.
    evidence also indicates that no loving god would send people to hell. don't even think of a specific image. just think of someone in terrible terrible pain. now think about god. now think about god sending them to this painful place because they rejected him. now try to think of god as a loving being. i dont think you could do that. not honestly. one has to start making excuses for such a god, for that god to remain loving.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

is an elixir when you're weak

I must confess at times I indulge it on the sneak

(but generally my outlook's not so bleak)
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    evidence also indicates that no loving god would send people to hell. don't even think of a specific image. just think of someone in terrible terrible pain. now think about god. now think about god sending them to this painful place because they rejected him. now try to think of god as a loving being. i dont think you could do that. not honestly. one has to start making excuses for such a god, for that god to remain loving.
    I've already addressed this issue; and you're merely projecting human traits on God. There is a distinction between God's actions and the actions of mortals. The only evidence I can see is your own emotional bias.

God sent His own son to die for us. If that's not love, then everything I know about love is wrong.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

aww i wrote stuff then my computer overheated and lost what i wrote. tries to write a brief.

belief can certainly be a trance.

the theta waves travel globally according to the belief systems people pray to albeit the energy manifestation is disconnected because the spiritual manifestation isn't attuned to their chakra/spiritual energy that sends out the belief signals. belief is powerful the more energy there is that manifests from the people who believe in that belief the stronger the resonance. the intention changes though and reciprocity is like a mirror that bounces the beliefs back to people rather than being universal and connected. because we are too focused on our identity and reality and material things. and a lot of the beliefs are dismissible.

probably talking out of my ass, carry on.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

as i stated on the other thread. we are not responsible for what we believe. should i be held at fault if i were unable to believe the moon was made of cheese?
    Why dont you like responsibility? Maybe I'm reading you wrong but you objected to the ideas of hell and punishment in another thread too, get the idea you dont like responsiblity or consequences.

MBTI
    INTJ

So, in a minimalistic sense, attention to the infinite reduces finite consumption.
    How so? Materialism is not mutually exclusive with a belief in God. I'm failing to see how Christians would be less likely to use exorbitant amounts of resources than pantheistic pagans. I would find the opposite more likely, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater
    In the eyes of the absolutely rational man, all things matter are equally contemptible and lovable
    You make this sound like a bad thing, but is it? I could argue, yes, in the sense that love for humans helps the continuation of the species, but that would be my "rational man" coming out. Limiting your love to only humans doesn't make your love for humans stronger, it makes your love for everything else weaker.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I've already addressed this issue; and you're merely projecting human traits on God. There is a distinction between God's actions and the actions of mortals. The only evidence I can see is your own emotional bias.

God sent His own son to die for us. If that's not love, then everything I know about love is wrong.
    Then again, since he's God and can do literally anything, he could have just arbitrarily forgiven us. It's painted as this great and painful sacrifice, this horribly difficult choice that God was forced into but chose us over his own son because he loves us that much, but that's under the assumption that God couldn't just change the conditions necessitating that a sacrifice be made.

Why couldn't he just say, "You know what guys? You've been bad kids, but I forgive you. After all, I am God!"

What external force imposed the condition that a sacrifice must be made in order to forgive human sins? Where does that condition come from and why couldn't God just decide to forgive us without a sacrifice? I mean, he's GOD; he can change any conditions into any other conditions at will.

"Well, son...you've really been bad this time. I think I can forgive you, because I love you, but...I'll have to crucify your brother first."

Wouldn't a truly eternally forgiving God just forgive us anyway without killing innocent people?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENFJ

i'm not the one projecting human traits on god. its the bible that does that. i'm just saying the bible can't project human traits onto god and then have god violate those traits.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

i'm not the one projecting human traits on god. its the bible that does that. i'm just saying the bible can't project human traits onto god and then have god violate those traits.
    Earlier cultures were anthropmorphic in their thinking, doesnt mean they were correct to do so, doesnt even mean it was God's will.

Its like any other sort of communication, between people there's going to be plenty of internalised filters, call them blinkers, prejudices, conflicted meanings, call them what you will, on each side to confuse things.

That's before you consider linguistic differences, such as speaking in different languages, or intelligence, whether its pure intellect, emotional, social intelligence.

That's just communication between people, now imagine communication between people and God, impossible? Nearly, likely to be channelled into the familiar context and language, which is time specific and likely to become dated if not properly interpreted? Definitely.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Earlier cultures were anthropmorphic in their thinking, doesnt mean they were correct to do so, doesnt even mean it was God's will.

Its like any other sort of communication, between people there's going to be plenty of internalised filters, call them blinkers, prejudices, conflicted meanings, call them what you will, on each side to confuse things.

That's before you consider linguistic differences, such as speaking in different languages, or intelligence, whether its pure intellect, emotional, social intelligence.

That's just communication between people, now imagine communication between people and God, impossible? Nearly, likely to be channelled into the familiar context and language, which is time specific and likely to become dated if not properly interpreted? Definitely.
    you're wrong. i can find plenty of examples of writing that is 3000 or 2000 years old that is completly strait forward and understandable.