• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

is God sadistic??? Or is it just me?

G

GirlAmerica

Well, thank you for the compliment....I think.
I am not a kooky Christian...truly. I am a soccer mom who listens to Godsmack and shops at Victorias Secret....desires lustful sex and in the midst of my 2nd divorce who doesnt give near enough back to my community.

I know sin and I will continue to sin, I know I am not perfect.......I strive to be better than the person I am.

G

GirlAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlAmerica
You pray, and you open your life to accepting the gift. You tell God, you request it. PERIOD.

Prayer is a ritual.

Not as a ritual, as a form of personal relating with God.

sassafrassquatch

Well, thank you for the compliment....I think.
I am not a kooky Christian...truly. I am a soccer mom who listens to Godsmack and shops at Victorias Secret....desires lustful sex and in the midst of my 2nd divorce who doesnt give near enough back to my community.

I know sin and I will continue to sin, I know I am not perfect.......I strive to be better than the person I am.

From your revelation talk I'm inferring you're a premillennialist. That's kooky.

G

GirlAmerica

From your revelation talk I'm inferring you're a premillennialist. That's kooky.

No, I am a just girl who grew up in the USA. I wish I were a better Christian...I am non-denom. I know what is right, I dont always choose what is right.

That would be why free-will is so important in the Bible over and over.
Read about the writers of the Bible, they talk about their own sin.

I am not kooky, I am just someone like you pondering greater things. I just happen to have faith in one.

I am just honest. I dont think you have ran into many honest Christians.
Why would I hide my sin.....so I can stand out and you can run from me.
Or is it easier to relate to me because I do sin?

***Revelations has always stood out to me, I tend to go toward the dark......however, the depth of it tends to blow my mind

G

GirlAmerica

Quote:
The 66 books which constitute the Bible are entirely reliable and truthful...

I'm a historian. No document is an "entirely reliable and truthful" description of anything. People are not perfect, and therefore the documents they produce cannot be perfect.

did that come from a link?

I would have to look at the context of it, because I agree with you to an extent based on what you quoted. However, if you believe the Bible was written on devine intervention....then, I suppose it is God, right?

Roger Mexico

MBTI Type
INTP

OK, I'm just going to say it again--belief in the inerrancy of a collection of myths from long-vanished culture is kooky, any way you spin it.

Congratulations, though. 18 years of "we want you to love each other, but make sure certain portions of your anatomies don't come into contact with each other, because that's not real, spiritual love" has left me so emotionally warped I'm pretty much incapable of any kind of interpersonal intimacy, sexual or otherwise. Which, to me, just suggests that if God does exist, he's an asshole with a sick sense of humor, to bring this back to my original point.

If you take the time to look at the links I provided, you will see that this is a church full of people JUST LIKE YOU. They require MORE than just being told.
The teachers (and there are many, I could teach if I wanted and earned it and so could you)are also looking for the same things you are looking for (you AND I).
They open up the context of the given PASSAGE/WORD and then support it with other passages in the Bible...even using differnet Bibles (KING JAMES/NIV) comparing the wording...........AND THEN (and this is the part that excites me) they go into language and historical reference of how that would fit in based on the TIME IT TRANSPIRED. Not our modern interpretion, not our societial standards and understanding of living and the world NOW.....but based on then and how it was in context THEN.
It changes GREATLY so many things........it is amazing.

Except they're not just like me. Not in the slightest. No matter how much you go over and over the same document to figure out exactly what you've been told, you still basically need to be told. Trust me. I walk in there and say "Um, and why exactly have we decided that this book is the only one worth studying?" and they'll (very politely, no doubt) ostracise me just as quickly as the people did in the church I grew up in.

*picture this: pens, notebooks, Bibles, coffee, donuts and jeans. :)

Congratulations. You can read and write.

Yeesh. I'd rather go to Mass. "Hey, we're hip. See, we wear blue jeans and drink coffee! Oh, yeah, I like rock and roll, too! Have you heard the new Switchfoot album? They're not as good as Creed, but it's really the message that counts, right? So, yeah, I've arbitrarily decided that everything I need to know was written down thousands of years ago in a language no one speaks any more. But I'm not one of those kooks. I wear jeans and drink coffee, remember?"

(Creed really, really sucks. Reeeealllly.)

Throw in some beer and weed and maybe I'll show up. But probably not.

I am not kooky, I am just someone like you pondering greater things. I just happen to have faith in one.

Yeah, it's the faith part, not the pondering, where the kook factor really comes in.

I***Revelations has always stood out to me, I tend to go toward the dark......however, the depth of it tends to blow my mind

So, being an educated, rational Christian who knows all about the historical context of the document, naturally you know that most serious legitimate scholarship supports the view that Revelation is actually a political screed criticizing the Roman empire through carefully coded allusions to Jewish history, right? (666, for example, is the numerical value of "Nero" written in ancient Hebrew) That anything it actually predicted would have happened between 1000-1500 years ago, if at all?

Roger Mexico

MBTI Type
INTP
did that come from a link?

I would have to look at the context of it, because I agree with you to an extent based on what you quoted. However, if you believe the Bible was written on devine intervention....then, I suppose it is God, right?

It's from the Xenos church's "statement of faith" on the website you linked to.

G

GirlAmerica

1. God did not make you feel repressed emotionally....people did.
The Bible is quite sexual and 'hot' in some parts. God realizes we are sexual beings and he provides for that.
*I am still traumatized from being in Missionettes/Trinity Assembly....so I am feelin' ya.

2. The Koran and many other books/religions/cultures/history are included. Actually...I think you would be suprised. Come on down, I will personally go with you. 'You' have walked through that door many times.... actually both of the main teachers were pot smoking college guys partying all the time.
They especially love people like you....because it challenges them....
They learn from such experiences. Many similar to you have stayed and are still just as much a ray of sunshine as you are...ha.
(I cant help but like that in a person, you are interesting and very intelligent and a bit twisted.... I understand you.)

3. I am not here to be anything than what I am. I was simply trying to convey that they are just simple, easy going.
There was no bragging, I am confused you could even take it as such.
I discovered this church during college. It was the bonfires and the beer and boys that led me to it.........
There is no projected image. Just 'normal' people relating.

4. I could call you a kook for certain things...or I can just admire the fact that you are strong enough to stand by your opinion, yet healthy enough to know exploring is a good thing.

5. That my brother is YOUR interpretation....and what you may believe. The part I do not agree with is that I dont believe it has yet fully transpired.

G

GirlAmerica

It's from the Xenos church's "statement of faith" on the website you linked to.

Yes, I just read it. And that is indeed the basis of this church.
You have to understand, though written by man....devine intervention.

Thus, from God.

And, even the teachers in Xenos will debate among each other certain issues....admittedly. That is why I am so drawn. They NEVER tell you it is to be believe because THEY SAID SO.
They always have shown how things are left up to interpretation of many things including the perception of the individual.

*I think they are also making that statement because historic records etc all go hand in hand with what transpires in the Bible.

samIam

MBTI Type
ENTP
Whether or not god is real and exists, I think it's safe to say that the character or Entity that goes by the name of God in the bible is in fact sadistic.

Could this be more proof that God is sadistic?

Genesis 4:3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
4:4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
4:5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.

Why would God like Abels dead animals better than Cains fruits and vegetables? I guess it can be argued that God is more Carnivore than herbivore. Does god eat meat but not his veggies? If that is true is he concerned about colon cancer?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
You didn't explain how you know #2 is correct, only that you choose to believe it is true. I go with door #1 since I have no evidence that there is anything more than material existence. As far as all this stuff goes can you really fault me for wanting a little tangible evidence?

You haven't explained how you know #1 is correct, only that you choose to believe it is true based on your lack of evidence. Can you produce tangible evidence that God does not exist?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Edit: Actually, in your original argument above, whether or not God knows everything is a key premise. Without God knowing that someone will suffer, we can't say that he's sadistic for creating them.

So God is sadistic for creating rules we find difficult to understand or follow? And, he's at fault for creating them in the first place? How do we know that God doesn't offer everyone a clear understanding of him and the rules at death?

I just don't have the time or desire to go into the issues with your interpretation of these verses. It would make an interesting and fun discussion though. Many other resources explain alternative interpretations better than I could, so I would just be wasting your time and mine to attempt it.

God knows everything ...God doesn't know everything. It doesn't matter and changes nothing. Even if we ignore Proverbs 16:4 "The Lord hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil." and 2Thessalonians 2:11-12
"God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned."

If the Biblical god does not know if a person is going to heaven or hell he is still sadistic and here’s why.

This biblical God created man because he was lonely. He wanted company. After a long history of betrayal and lies by man, god sets up some rules for man. He says violaters of the rules will be condemned to death/everlasting fire blah blah blah...

Scary. If God were standing next to me in the flesh/physical world/visual image then I would surely abide by all the rules. There would be no doubt of his existence or punishment.

But that's too easy for his creation. He needs a challenge.

So God decides, instead of being there as a constant reminder that he will vanish. But how will man know the rules?

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Is God Sadistic?

This is a particularly pertinent question for me, because my conclusion on this question is why I decided to withdraw from the Catholic religion for the most part.

I was raised believing sex between a man and a woman is the only sacred form of sex, and that homosexuals are sinful. I was raised believing that if I did not love God, I’d be damned to hell.

Targo, your OP describes my feelings on God very well. I just can’t wrap my mind around why someone who claims to love us would EVER, under ANY freaking circumstances, CONDEMN his CHILDREN. What??? Makes no sense!

If you love someone, and I mean unconditionally, you never abandon them completely, do you? Real love can’t be taken back. If it can be, it is not love. If you abandon your children to hell for eternity, you have as good as taken that love back. Therefore, I don’t see the God of Catholics in general to be loving, and I will not follow an unloving God. That’s really all it comes down to. My perception of God, and whether or not I like how I perceive him (or her). Which raises another question: why is God male? Why is even HEAVEN and DIVINITY controlled my patriarchy? This, to me, indicates that because even religion is male-dominated (I mean, only male PRIESTS? WTF?), it was probably constructed by humans living in a patriarchal society.

So sorry, guys, if I repeated what others have said. I just didn’t read the thread. I may go back over it and read individual posts when I have more time and leisure. :yes:

samIam

MBTI Type
ENTP
Which raises another question: why is God male? Why is even HEAVEN and DIVINITY controlled my patriarchy? This, to me, indicates that because even religion is male-dominated (I mean, only male PRIESTS? WTF?), it was probably constructed by humans living in a patriarchal society.

So true. But being that he is supposed to be male, a question I have had is why is he so fascinated with everyones foreskin?

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
But being that he is supposed to be male, a question I have had is why is he so fascinated with everyones foreskin?

You know, I've never pondered that one. LOL. :rolleyes:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is God sadistic? Well, my answer would be no. But I hold that answer because 1. I don't hold the Bible as the authority/'final word' that Christians do (basically, I don't think it's anything to base my life and beliefs off of, for numerous reasons), so quotes from the Bible are meaningless to me, in terms of supporting/opposing certain views; and 2. I think all of our suffering can be explained without bringing God into the picture at all. God has nothing to do with our suffering. We bring it onto ourselves in terms of choices we make, then there are choices others make that impact us, we have bodies that slowly deteriorate and follow the same general laws as other animals (we are no different from any of the other animals on the planet in terms of suffering from physical pain, deformity, and disease), and we live on a planet that has its own set of natural processes.

The long version is in the attachment. :) It's part of a much longer thing I wrote years ago, and it's rather emotionally heavy in places and it would probably offend some, and my intent in posting it is not to get into any debate with those who hold different views (because for one thing I have no desire to debate) - it's more just to share my own thoughts/perspective on a few things, and it explains more where I'm coming from and why I think a God(s) has nothing to do with nearly everything in our life. I don't pretend to think I'm being logical in it, or that there aren't numerous holes in it (as I know one could argue oppositely for every point I DID bring up ;) )...it's only what I think. I'm well aware of all of the counterpoints. In fact they're all earlier on in this thread!! And I also don't want to take away from those who do believe and see things otherwise; because I do have some friends who do, and at one point in my life I did hold different views. So with much trepidation....I attach my rant (and it admittedly tangents off from the main topic of this thread - but hey, years ago I wasn't writing with this sole topic in mind). :)

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Sadistic? That requires intent or a goal, and God has neither. God is like a young child at the tables in Vegas rolling an infinite number of dice while knowing each and every result. There is no plan, nor any real reason for your suffering... but it does not go unnoticed. If there is a "point" to your suffering, it's to see what you make of it I guess

wait, I just reminded myslef of that line from constantine: "Well, I guess God has a plan for everything" .... "God's a kid with an Ant Farm, Annie - he's not planning anything."

R

Riva

Sadistic? That requires intent or a goal, and God has neither. God is like a young child at the tables in Vegas rolling an infinite number of dice while knowing each and every result. There is no plan, nor any real reason for your suffering... but it does not go unnoticed

lol. true that(the bold)

but does not go unnoticed - i don't think so. he has a eye-patch or something. on both eyes.

but i don't think he is a sadist. he just doesn't give a damm.

well that is the interpretation the holy books give us. all of them.

it's as if something bad happened and then the prophets try to link it to god and they go and say

" HE LOVES YOU ANYWAY "​

since everytime something goes wrong and it is mentioned in the holy books as it was an act by god, the only interpretation we can come up with is that he is a SADIST.

he is not a sadist - he just doesn't care.