User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 199

  1. #51
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. M View Post
    I tend to think of faith in this way - when I close my eyes, the world around me does not disappear. When I talk to a friend on the phone and disconnect the call, that friend does not cease to exist. My mother loves me even if I can't "see" love, only physical or verbal manifestations of that emotion. Faith is trusting in what cannot be seen. Not everything in this world is subject to the scientific method.
    What was it like, talking to God on the phone?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  2. #52
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,936

    Default

    Targo, I think it's normal for a strong minded person to question the existence of God as you grow older. For me it was recently. I cannot not outright deny that there isn't a God, but I do have a more cynical view on the subject of religion. I have always considered myself to be a spiritual person and I am a big believer in Karma.

    Anyway don't be too hard on yourself. I think it's a good thing that you are at least thinking about something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm a known fence-rider anyway.
    That's kinda hot. Has Noah seen this?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  3. #53
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    In response to the responders of my original response --

    I agree spirituality and faith are different, I like to think I am person of both.

    Faith is faith, it doesn't need you to prove its worth or existence, it can't be quantified or measured in a beaker or looked under a microscope. I'm sure you could get creative and try to express it mathematically but we both know that would be more a creative exercise in making a point than anything else.

    To me faith literally means making a blind leap. It means INVESTING yourself in something that is not 100% guaranteed. But that's life. When I get on a plane I do it on faith that I'll land safely in my destination. When I get in a car likewise. Faith is a powerful thing, it changes people, it changes history, it can be manipulated, it is not selective about the things it believes, and overall it's dangerous.

    I guess I personally don't feel the need to debate the existence of god with anyone. Maybe the definition, but not the existence. I don't think we're really trying to convince each other of anything, you'll believe what is right for you at this point in your life, and I'll do the same. I appreciate other POVs because I don't think it's good for anyone to get lazy in their faith and beliefs aren't static.

    I would like people to feel connected with the universe and see the connections between everything which also brings with it ethical responsibility and empathy -- but I also feel people's relationship to [fill in the blank] is a very personal one.

    You don't have to have the same relationship to [fill in the blank] as I do, I think people of many different sects, denominations, faiths, and belief systems do operate together under a loose umbrella of the same thing.

    I honestly believe within every cynic is someone who even more loudly and more badly than me needs and wants the comfort of knowing there is something that makes sense in this world and that it is intelligent and compassionate and are basically terrified. Unless atheism is your belief system for giving rhyme and reason to the world. Believing in the absence of god is also comforting because it's finite and measurable and makes sense. Some say 'tomahhtoe' some say 'toe-may-toe' (I love saying this, perhaps spelling phonetically just tickles my toes)

    And if you are true hardcore skeptic atheist cynic? You still do God's work in the good that you do. Ha! You just can't escape it! God's giving you a big hug right now as we speak!

    Hahahaha, yeah I know this not what the skeptics want to hear, but I just couldn't help myself.

    Personally, I have always felt like there was something more. What is "knowing"? I have always known. And that's good enough for me.

    Go ahead, chalk it up to my nutty Ne and irrational ENFPness. You big hater.

    P.S. Here is god giving you another hug

  4. #54
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    In response to the responders of my original response --

    I agree spirituality and faith are different, I like to think I am person of both.

    Faith is faith, it doesn't need you to prove its worth or existence, it can't be quantified or measured in a beaker or looked under a microscope. I'm sure you could get creative and try to express it mathematically but we both know that would be more a creative exercise in making a point than anything else.

    To me faith literally means making a blind leap. It means INVESTING yourself in something that is not 100% guaranteed. But that's life. When I get on a plane I do it on faith that I'll land safely in my destination. When I get in a car likewise. Faith is a powerful thing, it changes people, it changes history, it can be manipulated, it is not selective about the things it believes, and overall it's dangerous.

    I guess I personally don't feel the need to debate the existence of god with anyone. Maybe the definition, but not the existence. I don't think we're really trying to convince each other of anything, you'll believe what is right for you at this point in your life, and I'll do the same. I appreciate other POVs because I don't think it's good for anyone to get lazy in their faith and beliefs aren't static.

    I would like people to feel connected with the universe and see the connections between everything which also brings with it ethical responsibility and empathy -- but I also feel people's relationship to [fill in the blank] is a very personal one.

    You don't have to have the same relationship to [fill in the blank] as I do, I think people of many different sects, denominations, faiths, and belief systems do operate together under a loose umbrella of the same thing.

    I honestly believe within every cynic is someone who even more loudly and more badly than me needs and wants the comfort of knowing there is something that makes sense in this world and that it is intelligent and compassionate and are basically terrified. Unless atheism is your belief system for giving rhyme and reason to the world. Believing in the absence of god is also comforting because it's finite and measurable and makes sense. Some say 'tomahhtoe' some say 'toe-may-toe' (I love saying this, perhaps spelling phonetically just tickles my toes)

    And if you are true hardcore skeptic atheist cynic? You still do God's work in the good that you do. Ha! You just can't escape it! God's giving you a big hug right now as we speak!

    Hahahaha, yeah I know this not what the skeptics want to hear, but I just couldn't help myself.

    Personally, I have always felt like there was something more. What is "knowing"? I have always known. And that's good enough for me.

    Go ahead, chalk it up to my nutty Ne and irrational ENFPness. You big hater.

    P.S. Here is god giving you another hug
    Organization is man made.

    Organism is self made.
    Never believe in it. You do not need to.

  5. #55
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Organization is man made.

    Organism is self made.
    Never believe in it. You do not need to.
    Never believe in organization or never believe in organism?

  6. #56
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. M View Post
    I tend to think of faith in this way - when I close my eyes, the world around me does not disappear. When I talk to a friend on the phone and disconnect the call, that friend does not cease to exist. My mother loves me even if I can't "see" love, only physical or verbal manifestations of that emotion. Faith is trusting in what cannot be seen. Not everything in this world is subject to the scientific method.
    But the things/people that you have seen/felt/directly spoken to have given you the awareness that these things/people actually exist, therefore you can put faith in that... Why do people insist on believing in something they've never seen and have no good reason to believe in? Other than the fact that we are unable to explain our petty existence but we feel compelled to in order to make sense of our lives.

  7. #57
    GirlAmerica
    Guest

    Default

    Other than the fact that we are unable to explain our petty existence but we feel compelled to in order to make sense of our lives.
    Just the mere fact that you understand just how 'petty' we seem in such a vast and amazing world supports the fact that SOMETHING far greater than us exists. You are intelligent enough to know, that something this complex is no accident.

    You should look into C.S. Lewis. The writer of 'The Chronicals of Narnia'. An athiest who studied God/Christianity with full intention to dispell it completely...who in-turn could not deny the information that was found and ended becoming a Christian who now writes ABOUT proof an EXISTING GOD!

  8. #58
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,936

    Default

    I like this clip from Bruce Almighty. YouTube - Favorite scene in Bruce Almighty
    He then goes on to say that "God is a mean kid over an anthill with a magnifying glass, and I'm the ant. He could fix my life in five minutes if he wanted to, but he'd rather burn off my feelers, and watch me squirm!"
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  9. #59
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GirlAmerica View Post
    Just the mere fact that you understand just how 'petty' we seem in such a vast and amazing world supports the fact that SOMETHING far greater than us exists. You are intelligent enough to know, that something this complex is no accident.

    You should look into C.S. Lewis. The writer of 'The Chronicals of Narnia'. An athiest who studied God/Christianity with full intention to dispell it completely...who in-turn could not deny the information that was found and ended becoming a Christian who now writes ABOUT proof an EXISTING GOD!
    I think the theory that God exists (considering that using your logic, wouldn't someone have to create God? How can God always exist if we (matter) can't?) is just as absurd as the theory that we just 'are'... Considering that both theories (if you really think about it) are just as insane and really not possible for us to fully grasp, how does it make more sense to choose to accept the belief that this omnipotent and omniscient creator that cares about us is unwilling to show himself (much less intervene and do away with the suffering and filth that he created, the traits that are supposed to be so polar opposite to what he is)?

    For myself, what I can contrive in my minuscule brain is this:
    A. A god/supreme being exists but he's a sadistic asshole that enjoys "games."
    B. There is no God

  10. #60
    Don't pet me. JAVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I feel like we're going in circles here.
    Why? God did exactly what you wanted. You doubt the historical and literary evidence of this, so it becomes a question of whether that evidence is credible.

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    You claim that he once clearly revealed his will to humanity but didn't bother to record it infallibly, to me this is a sign of incompetence or apathy on his part.
    How could he have recorded it infallibly? Any media would eventually become unreadable or deprecated. Also, keep in perspective the mindset and culture at the time. It was different than ours is now.

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    And just so we're clear, I believe all gods are imaginary and all religions were created by humans.
    I agree that all religions were created by humans. Religion is a human response to what is percieved to be spiritual.

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I'm a skeptic and an atheist, I think the universe is unthinking and uncaring because that is what I see. I don't believe in God because there is no evidence that he exists. Where is the evidence for your god? Don't tell me I just have to believe or have faith, I can believe and have faith that a magic crystal will protect me from harm but that doesn't make it true unless there is testable evidence that it does.
    There is no physical or conclusive evidence for God, but there is no physical or conclusive evidence that God does not exist either. The only thing that can be proven is that it is rational to believe in the existence of God, just like it is rational to believe that he does not exist.

    In the end, it comes down to a subjective decision about which "theory" fits personal observations, historical accounts, human existence and relationships, life, and reality the best.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Is it just me or...
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 10:13 PM
  2. [ENTJ] ENTJ greatest fears??? or is it just me???
    By Riva in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 11:00 AM
  3. [INFP] Do INFPs often question their type? Or is it just me?
    By r0wo1 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 11:59 AM
  4. Is it just me, or are ENFP's the largest extroverted group here?
    By Angry Ayrab in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 08:52 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO