User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I don't see that humanity has learned anything from it's unmitigated suffering.
    You don't believe in the mentality that "that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger"?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    You don't believe in the mentality that "that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger"?
    What lesson is god trying to teach us with AIDS, cancer, starvation, rape, murder, abuse, genocide, etc? What is the point of it all? What are we supposed to learn? Why do we have to learn through suffering?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

What lesson is god trying to teach us with AIDS, cancer, starvation, rape, murder, abuse, genocide, etc? What is the point of it all? What are we supposed to learn? Why do we have to learn through suffering?
    oh, i see your point now.

i have no idea; that's one of my deep questions, too.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

oh, i see your point now.

i have no idea; that's one of my deep questions, too.
    Exactly. You don't know. I don't know. No one knows what the real point of christianity is or any other religion. There are as many versions of a religion as there are adherents. If your god was the least bit competent he should have known better than to write his commandments to humanity in two dead languages. It doesn't matter anyway because it isn't real. People made it all up a long time ago. These superstitions should be left to die and be forgotten, they have caused enough needless suffering.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Exactly. You don't know. I don't know. No one knows what the real point of christianity is or any other religion. There are as many versions of a religion as there are adherents. If your god was the least bit competent he should have known better than to write his commandments to humanity in two dead languages. It doesn't matter anyway because it isn't real. People made it all up a long time ago. These superstitions should be left to die and be forgotten, they have caused enough needless suffering.
    but you're implying that without any religions there would be no suffering--i think it's fair to say that's clearly not true.

maybe theologically it's fair to say i have no clue as to the true point of my religion (although i'm sure there's "correct christian answers")... but you have to recall that Christianity is relational at core. human relationships beyond working together for a common goal (food, shelter, etc.) don't make sense either. but yet it's integral to us, and there would be no point to life if we didn't have relationships. similarly, i can't make sense of my relationship with Christ, but without it I see no point to life.
    C.S. Lewis

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah- I kind of have felt some form of identification with the old religions that used to sacrifice people to the angry god in order to attempt to save their own asses! I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong to have some things happen to me that have, and I attempt to build up good person points in hopes that my luck will change at some point (give money to bums, hold the door open for people, give strangers directions and etc.). I kind of blame it on being raised in an area where the only sermons you hear are that God only punishes the wicked (usually followed by a long list of every enjoyable activity available to humankind and why we shouldn't do it and then a list of anyone who the religious right wouldn't approve of and why they're going to hell as well). Really the only reassuring services I've ever been to were Catholic services in Latin America where they still preached love and liberation theology, but then again I was happier there anyways...

I guess the message is I feel the hate with you!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    How people can claim God isn't sadistic (if he does exist) is what's beyond me.
    I think I already answered part of that as the first thing I said.

(Ever read "I have no mouth and I must scream?")
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

but you're implying that without any religions there would be no suffering--i think it's fair to say that's clearly not true.
    No, I said religion causes suffering I did not mean that it is the cause of all suffering.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Just curious; but if you had to, are you capable of actually arguing alternate viewpoints / adequately representing someone else's argument to another person? Even if you didn't believe it yourself?

Your views consistently seem about as one-sided and dogmatic as those of the Christian fundamentalists I disagree with.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTx

Religion has been the root of an appalling amount of suffering in the world. There is no question about that.