User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Whether or not god is real and exists, I think it's safe to say that the character or Entity that goes by the name of God in the bible is in fact sadistic.

Could this be more proof that God is sadistic?

Genesis 4:3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.
    4:4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
    4:5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.

Why would God like Abels dead animals better than Cains fruits and vegetables? I guess it can be argued that God is more Carnivore than herbivore. Does god eat meat but not his veggies? If that is true is he concerned about colon cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    You didn't explain how you know #2 is correct, only that you choose to believe it is true. I go with door #1 since I have no evidence that there is anything more than material existence. As far as all this stuff goes can you really fault me for wanting a little tangible evidence?
    You haven't explained how you know #1 is correct, only that you choose to believe it is true based on your lack of evidence. Can you produce tangible evidence that God does not exist?

Edit: Actually, in your original argument above, whether or not God knows everything is a key premise. Without God knowing that someone will suffer, we can't say that he's sadistic for creating them.

So God is sadistic for creating rules we find difficult to understand or follow? And, he's at fault for creating them in the first place? How do we know that God doesn't offer everyone a clear understanding of him and the rules at death?

I just don't have the time or desire to go into the issues with your interpretation of these verses. It would make an interesting and fun discussion though. Many other resources explain alternative interpretations better than I could, so I would just be wasting your time and mine to attempt it.

Quote Originally Posted by samIam View Post
    God knows everything ...God doesn't know everything. It doesn't matter and changes nothing. Even if we ignore Proverbs 16:4 "The Lord hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil." and 2Thessalonians 2:11-12
    "God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned."

If the Biblical god does not know if a person is going to heaven or hell he is still sadistic and here’s why.

This biblical God created man because he was lonely. He wanted company. After a long history of betrayal and lies by man, god sets up some rules for man. He says violaters of the rules will be condemned to death/everlasting fire blah blah blah...

Scary. If God were standing next to me in the flesh/physical world/visual image then I would surely abide by all the rules. There would be no doubt of his existence or punishment.

But that's too easy for his creation. He needs a challenge.

So God decides, instead of being there as a constant reminder that he will vanish. But how will man know the rules?

Is God Sadistic?
    This is a particularly pertinent question for me, because my conclusion on this question is why I decided to withdraw from the Catholic religion for the most part.

I was raised believing sex between a man and a woman is the only sacred form of sex, and that homosexuals are sinful. I was raised believing that if I did not love God, I’d be damned to hell.

Targo, your OP describes my feelings on God very well. I just can’t wrap my mind around why someone who claims to love us would EVER, under ANY freaking circumstances, CONDEMN his CHILDREN. What??? Makes no sense!

If you love someone, and I mean unconditionally, you never abandon them completely, do you? Real love can’t be taken back. If it can be, it is not love. If you abandon your children to hell for eternity, you have as good as taken that love back. Therefore, I don’t see the God of Catholics in general to be loving, and I will not follow an unloving God. That’s really all it comes down to. My perception of God, and whether or not I like how I perceive him (or her). Which raises another question: why is God male? Why is even HEAVEN and DIVINITY controlled my patriarchy? This, to me, indicates that because even religion is male-dominated (I mean, only male PRIESTS? WTF?), it was probably constructed by humans living in a patriarchal society.

So sorry, guys, if I repeated what others have said. I just didn’t read the thread. I may go back over it and read individual posts when I have more time and leisure.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Which raises another question: why is God male? Why is even HEAVEN and DIVINITY controlled my patriarchy? This, to me, indicates that because even religion is male-dominated (I mean, only male PRIESTS? WTF?), it was probably constructed by humans living in a patriarchal society.
    So true. But being that he is supposed to be male, a question I have had is why is he so fascinated with everyones foreskin?

But being that he is supposed to be male, a question I have had is why is he so fascinated with everyones foreskin?
    You know, I've never pondered that one. LOL.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Is God sadistic? Well, my answer would be no. But I hold that answer because 1. I don't hold the Bible as the authority/'final word' that Christians do (basically, I don't think it's anything to base my life and beliefs off of, for numerous reasons), so quotes from the Bible are meaningless to me, in terms of supporting/opposing certain views; and 2. I think all of our suffering can be explained without bringing God into the picture at all. God has nothing to do with our suffering. We bring it onto ourselves in terms of choices we make, then there are choices others make that impact us, we have bodies that slowly deteriorate and follow the same general laws as other animals (we are no different from any of the other animals on the planet in terms of suffering from physical pain, deformity, and disease), and we live on a planet that has its own set of natural processes.

The long version is in the attachment. It's part of a much longer thing I wrote years ago, and it's rather emotionally heavy in places and it would probably offend some, and my intent in posting it is not to get into any debate with those who hold different views (because for one thing I have no desire to debate) - it's more just to share my own thoughts/perspective on a few things, and it explains more where I'm coming from and why I think a God(s) has nothing to do with nearly everything in our life. I don't pretend to think I'm being logical in it, or that there aren't numerous holes in it (as I know one could argue oppositely for every point I DID bring up )...it's only what I think. I'm well aware of all of the counterpoints. In fact they're all earlier on in this thread!! And I also don't want to take away from those who do believe and see things otherwise; because I do have some friends who do, and at one point in my life I did hold different views. So with much trepidation....I attach my rant (and it admittedly tangents off from the main topic of this thread - but hey, years ago I wasn't writing with this sole topic in mind). :-)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    If god is a parent then he has allowed his children to stick knives in the electric outlet numerous times. I don't see that humanity has learned anything from it's unmitigated suffering.
    [/CENTER]
    spot on.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Sadistic? That requires intent or a goal, and God has neither. God is like a young child at the tables in Vegas rolling an infinite number of dice while knowing each and every result. There is no plan, nor any real reason for your suffering... but it does not go unnoticed. If there is a "point" to your suffering, it's to see what you make of it I guess

wait, I just reminded myslef of that line from constantine: "Well, I guess God has a plan for everything" .... "God's a kid with an Ant Farm, Annie - he's not planning anything."

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Sadistic? That requires intent or a goal, and God has neither. God is like a young child at the tables in Vegas rolling an infinite number of dice while knowing each and every result. There is no plan, nor any real reason for your suffering... but it does not go unnoticed
    lol. true that(the bold)

but does not go unnoticed - i don't think so. he has a eye-patch or something. on both eyes.

but i don't think he is a sadist. he just doesn't give a damm.

well that is the interpretation the holy books give us. all of them.

it's as if something bad happened and then the prophets try to link it to god and they go and say

" HE LOVES YOU ANYWAY "

since everytime something goes wrong and it is mentioned in the holy books as it was an act by god, the only interpretation we can come up with is that he is a SADIST.

he is not a sadist - he just doesn't care.