User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

GirlAmerica

Well, thank you for the compliment....I think.
    I am not a kooky Christian...truly. I am a soccer mom who listens to Godsmack and shops at Victorias Secret....desires lustful sex and in the midst of my 2nd divorce who doesnt give near enough back to my community.

I know sin and I will continue to sin, I know I am not perfect.......I strive to be better than the person I am.

GirlAmerica

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GirlAmerica
    You pray, and you open your life to accepting the gift. You tell God, you request it. PERIOD.

Prayer is a ritual.
    Not as a ritual, as a form of personal relating with God.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlAmerica View Post
    Well, thank you for the compliment....I think.
    I am not a kooky Christian...truly. I am a soccer mom who listens to Godsmack and shops at Victorias Secret....desires lustful sex and in the midst of my 2nd divorce who doesnt give near enough back to my community.

I know sin and I will continue to sin, I know I am not perfect.......I strive to be better than the person I am.
    From your revelation talk I'm inferring you're a premillennialist. That's kooky.

GirlAmerica

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    From your revelation talk I'm inferring you're a premillennialist. That's kooky.

No, I am a just girl who grew up in the USA. I wish I were a better Christian...I am non-denom. I know what is right, I dont always choose what is right.

That would be why free-will is so important in the Bible over and over.
    Read about the writers of the Bible, they talk about their own sin.

I am not kooky, I am just someone like you pondering greater things. I just happen to have faith in one.

I am just honest. I dont think you have ran into many honest Christians.
    Why would I hide my sin.....so I can stand out and you can run from me.
    Or is it easier to relate to me because I do sin?

***Revelations has always stood out to me, I tend to go toward the dark......however, the depth of it tends to blow my mind

GirlAmerica

Quote:
    The 66 books which constitute the Bible are entirely reliable and truthful...

I'm a historian. No document is an "entirely reliable and truthful" description of anything. People are not perfect, and therefore the documents they produce cannot be perfect.
    did that come from a link?

I would have to look at the context of it, because I agree with you to an extent based on what you quoted. However, if you believe the Bible was written on devine intervention....then, I suppose it is God, right?

MBTI
    INTP

OK, I'm just going to say it again--belief in the inerrancy of a collection of myths from long-vanished culture is kooky, any way you spin it.

Congratulations, though. 18 years of "we want you to love each other, but make sure certain portions of your anatomies don't come into contact with each other, because that's not real, spiritual love" has left me so emotionally warped I'm pretty much incapable of any kind of interpersonal intimacy, sexual or otherwise. Which, to me, just suggests that if God does exist, he's an asshole with a sick sense of humor, to bring this back to my original point.

If you take the time to look at the links I provided, you will see that this is a church full of people JUST LIKE YOU. They require MORE than just being told.
    The teachers (and there are many, I could teach if I wanted and earned it and so could you)are also looking for the same things you are looking for (you AND I).
    They open up the context of the given PASSAGE/WORD and then support it with other passages in the Bible...even using differnet Bibles (KING JAMES/NIV) comparing the wording...........AND THEN (and this is the part that excites me) they go into language and historical reference of how that would fit in based on the TIME IT TRANSPIRED. Not our modern interpretion, not our societial standards and understanding of living and the world NOW.....but based on then and how it was in context THEN.
    It changes GREATLY so many things........it is amazing.
    Except they're not just like me. Not in the slightest. No matter how much you go over and over the same document to figure out exactly what you've been told, you still basically need to be told. Trust me. I walk in there and say "Um, and why exactly have we decided that this book is the only one worth studying?" and they'll (very politely, no doubt) ostracise me just as quickly as the people did in the church I grew up in.

*picture this: pens, notebooks, Bibles, coffee, donuts and jeans.
    Congratulations. You can read and write.

Yeesh. I'd rather go to Mass. "Hey, we're hip. See, we wear blue jeans and drink coffee! Oh, yeah, I like rock and roll, too! Have you heard the new Switchfoot album? They're not as good as Creed, but it's really the message that counts, right? So, yeah, I've arbitrarily decided that everything I need to know was written down thousands of years ago in a language no one speaks any more. But I'm not one of those kooks. I wear jeans and drink coffee, remember?"

(Creed really, really sucks. Reeeealllly.)

Throw in some beer and weed and maybe I'll show up. But probably not.

I am not kooky, I am just someone like you pondering greater things. I just happen to have faith in one.
    Yeah, it's the faith part, not the pondering, where the kook factor really comes in.

I***Revelations has always stood out to me, I tend to go toward the dark......however, the depth of it tends to blow my mind
    So, being an educated, rational Christian who knows all about the historical context of the document, naturally you know that most serious legitimate scholarship supports the view that Revelation is actually a political screed criticizing the Roman empire through carefully coded allusions to Jewish history, right? (666, for example, is the numerical value of "Nero" written in ancient Hebrew) That anything it actually predicted would have happened between 1000-1500 years ago, if at all?

MBTI
    INTP

did that come from a link?

I would have to look at the context of it, because I agree with you to an extent based on what you quoted. However, if you believe the Bible was written on devine intervention....then, I suppose it is God, right?
    It's from the Xenos church's "statement of faith" on the website you linked to.

GirlAmerica

1. God did not make you feel repressed emotionally....people did.
    The Bible is quite sexual and 'hot' in some parts. God realizes we are sexual beings and he provides for that.
    *I am still traumatized from being in Missionettes/Trinity Assembly....so I am feelin' ya.

2. The Koran and many other books/religions/cultures/history are included. Actually...I think you would be suprised. Come on down, I will personally go with you. 'You' have walked through that door many times.... actually both of the main teachers were pot smoking college guys partying all the time.
    They especially love people like you....because it challenges them....
    They learn from such experiences. Many similar to you have stayed and are still just as much a ray of sunshine as you are...ha.
    (I cant help but like that in a person, you are interesting and very intelligent and a bit twisted.... I understand you.)

3. I am not here to be anything than what I am. I was simply trying to convey that they are just simple, easy going.
    There was no bragging, I am confused you could even take it as such.
    I discovered this church during college. It was the bonfires and the beer and boys that led me to it.........
    There is no projected image. Just 'normal' people relating.

4. I could call you a kook for certain things...or I can just admire the fact that you are strong enough to stand by your opinion, yet healthy enough to know exploring is a good thing.

5. That my brother is YOUR interpretation....and what you may believe. The part I do not agree with is that I dont believe it has yet fully transpired.

GirlAmerica

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    It's from the Xenos church's "statement of faith" on the website you linked to.
    Yes, I just read it. And that is indeed the basis of this church.
    You have to understand, though written by man....devine intervention.

Thus, from God.

And, even the teachers in Xenos will debate among each other certain issues....admittedly. That is why I am so drawn. They NEVER tell you it is to be believe because THEY SAID SO.
    They always have shown how things are left up to interpretation of many things including the perception of the individual.

*I think they are also making that statement because historic records etc all go hand in hand with what transpires in the Bible.

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Heehee. Now every time I see the thread title I think, I don't know about God, but I do know you're not sadistic, Tara.

awe thanks cafe

~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP