User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 199

  1. #91
    Senior Member Roger Mexico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Lol, that is what every belief system says about itself.
    And he throws the point straight over the middle of the plate. Liquid Laser goes into his stance and... swing and a miss!

  2. #92
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    And he throws the point straight over the middle of the plate. Liquid Laser goes into his stance and... swing and a miss!
    And Roger Mexico doesn't even realize that we're not playing baseball.

    More importantly saying that you're beliefs are superior to everyone else's does not make it so. I had to spell that out in case you missed the point.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  3. #93
    Senior Member Roger Mexico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    And Roger Mexico doesn't even realize that we're not playing baseball.

    More importantly saying that you're beliefs are superior to everyone else's does not make it so. I had to spell that out in case you missed the point.
    Dude, read my post. Atheism isn't a belief; it's the lack of a belief coupled with the lack of any sense of the absence of that belief.

    Religious people ask me "but how can you think that life just spontaneously arose from inert chemicals? Isn't life just so amazing that there has to be some greater meaning to it?"

    And I say, "uh, no. What are you, high? If we didn't exist we wouldn't be having this conversation to begin with, so really I'm not that amazed that I exist. You might want to think about getting out more."

    OT: and furthermore, "you're" is a contraction for "you are." "Your" is an adjective meaning "possessed by you."

  4. #94
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    Dude, read my post. Atheism isn't a belief; it's the lack of a belief coupled with the lack of any sense of the absence of that belief.
    The choice to not have a belief is still a belief. The very fact that one calls themself an athiest shows that they've made a conscious decision about the existence of divine being(s). When you consider the wide range of theistic beliefs that exist, athiesm really doesn't seem that different from any other belief systems. Like all belief systems athiesm has viewpoints about the existence of divine being(s) even if the viewpoint simply consists of "I don't care" or "My default is nothing until further evidence is uncovered".

    Actually if you look deeper you will find that athiesm covers a fairly wide range of beliefs. There are quite a few flavors of athiesm out there. (Just like there are quite a few flavors of Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, etc....) Athiesm isn't really that different from the other belief systems. Some athiests even belong to athiestic organizations.

    OT: and furthermore, "you're" is a contraction for "you are." "Your" is an adjective meaning "possessed by you."
    Now I know your weakness: grammar. Muhuhahahah!!!
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  5. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The choice to not have a belief is still a belief. The very fact that one calls themself an athiest shows that they've made a conscious decision about the existence of divine being(s). When you consider the wide range of theistic beliefs that exist, athiesm really doesn't seem that different from any other belief systems. Like all belief systems athiesm has viewpoints about the existence of divine being(s) even if the viewpoint simply consists of "I don't care" or "My default is nothing until further evidence is uncovered".

    Actually if you look deeper you will find that athiesm covers a fairly wide range of beliefs. There are quite a few flavors of athiesm out there. (Just like there are quite a few flavors of Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, etc....) Athiesm isn't really that different from the other belief systems. Some athiests even belong to athiestic organizations.

    Also, it's athEIst NOT athIEst.

  6. #96
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The choice to not have a belief is still a belief. The very fact that one calls themself an athiest shows that they've made a conscious decision about the existence of divine being(s). When you consider the wide range of theistic beliefs that exist, athiesm really doesn't seem that different from any other belief systems. Like all belief systems athiesm has viewpoints about the existence of divine being(s) even if the viewpoint simply consists of "I don't care" or "My default is nothing until further evidence is uncovered".

    Actually if you look deeper you will find that athiesm covers a fairly wide range of beliefs. There are quite a few flavors of athiesm out there. (Just like there are quite a few flavors of Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, etc....) Athiesm isn't really that different from the other belief systems. Some athiests even belong to athiestic organizations.
    If lack of belief is the same as a belief system, then that means I have hundreds or thousands of belief systems. I don't believe in God, I don't believe in the tooth fairy, I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, I don't believe in elves, etc.

    So according to you, each of those disbeliefs equals a belief system, equivalent to your own belief system in God? That doesn't say much for your own belief system.

    To me they are just lack of belief. I don't tack any particular philosophy or qualifier onto my disbelief in God or any of my other disbeliefs. I simply don't believe in God and an afterlife the same way that I don't believe in the tooth fairy.

    I'll grant that there are other atheists who do build some kind of philosophical superstructure on top of their atheism or qualify their atheism any number of ways.

    But as it pertains to me, "atheism" isn't a school of thought or even a collection of people. It's just a label. Here's my thinking about that label:

    "I don't believe in God the same way that I don't believe in the tooth fairy. According to the usual definition of these things, I guess that makes me an "atheist" Fine, whatever. If that's the appropriate label, then that's what I'll call myself so that people understand my position."

    But it seems strange to hear that since I'm an "atheist," I must have a "belief system." I never understand why religious people claim that simple lack of belief in something is a "belief system." If I don't believe in ogres living in caves, is that a "belief system" too? And is non-belief in ogres on a par with your system of belief in God and in whatever religion you profess?

  7. #97
    Don't pet me. JAVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,050

    Default

    Anything thought to be true but not proven as a truth is a belief. If I say, "God does not exist," is that a belief or truth?

    Every belief has a belief system attached to it, whether consciously acknowledged or not. Even our nonconscious cognitive and perceptual biases are belief systems.

  8. #98
    Don't pet me. JAVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch
    No, I’m saying that IF god exists he is horribly inept at whatever he is trying to do. Unless his intent is to spread confusion and divide humanity. In which case I’d say he’s done a fine job.
    So your argument then is this:
    1. God may exist.
    2. Evil, suffering, and confusion about God exist.
    2. Therefore, if God does exists, God is either not omnipotent or is malevolent.
    If this is an accurate summary of your argument, then I agree with it. In fact, the conclusion that God is not omnipotent is necessary to allow for human free will.

  9. #99
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Anything thought to be true but not proven as a truth is a belief. If I say, "God does not exist," is that a belief or truth?
    It's the exact same thing as saying "The tooth fairy does not exist." I tend to think of it as a truth. I tend to find it as knowable as anything else in the world. But if you want to define "The tooth fairy does not exist" as a belief, that's fine with me.

    Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Every belief has a belief system attached to it, whether consciously acknowledged or not. Even our nonconscious cognitive and perceptual biases are belief systems.
    So you're saying that "The tooth fairy does not exist" is potentially a belief, and hence that "The tooth fairy does not exist" is potentially a belief system. And thus "God does not exist" is potentially a belief system.

    Fine. Whatever. It's all just labels.

    But you may want to distinguish between the belief system "The tooth fairy does not exist" and the belief system of Christianity. It seems absurd to equate the two. At a minimum, it makes the label of "belief system" meaningless, since pretty much anything becomes a "belief system."

  10. #100
    Don't pet me. JAVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    But you may want to distinguish between the belief system "The tooth fairy does not exist" and the belief system of Christianity. It seems absurd to equate the two. At a minimum, it makes the label of "belief system" meaningless, since pretty much anything becomes a "belief system."
    Are you pushing the "hyperbolic =" button on your philosophical calculator again?

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Is it just me or...
    By yenom in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 10:13 PM
  2. [ENTJ] ENTJ greatest fears??? or is it just me???
    By Riva in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 11:00 AM
  3. [INFP] Do INFPs often question their type? Or is it just me?
    By r0wo1 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 11:59 AM
  4. Is it just me, or are ENFP's the largest extroverted group here?
    By Angry Ayrab in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 08:52 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 07:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO