12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

Default INTP and hating religion.

I went to church today with my parents. Haven't been there in like 3 years. I used to go to church every week with them until I got old enough to decide I didn't believe in God and I hated everything about organized religion and that most of the people there are idiots that just listen to anything people tell them.

Going back to church made me think..... What about religion draws people to it? I see nothing at all that would make me want to ever go to church. Sit down, sing songs, light candles, whatever, any of that. Why would I want to go do a whole bunch of boring unnecessary stuff like that? Is it the feeling of being involved in something bigger than yourself? Do people feel better when they can believe and have faith in something? How many people in church go there because they truly believe all the stuff or just to see their friends and have fellowship?

But then I remembered MBTI and I thought that maybe different personality types would enjoy church for other reasons and maybe I am just not being understanding of others and just judging them.

Is it because I am an INTP that I hate religion?
    I am introverted, so I really don't like being around a lot of people. Especially people I don't want to talk to. And the people at church in my mind are all idiots that are going to church because they can't think for themselves. Would an extrovert enjoy it because of the social aspect??
    Because I have a strong T and not very much F I just sit there analyzing and asking questions in my head about everything and coming to conclusions about how stupid everything is. Maybe if I could just... get into the feel of church I would like it? If I just stopped thinking. Because when I do that, I do feel something. Like a sense of reverence or respect or tradition. But I don't really like that feeling. And I can't just...stay in the feeling.. I always begin to think too much and I forget about it. I also don't care about feelings.

So, if you go to church and/or like anything about it or organized religion. Why? I want to understand!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway2 View Post
    Is it because I am an INTP that I hate religion?
    This probably has something to do with it, although I'd encourage you to keep an open mind. Christian anti-intellectualism is subsiding; there's good reason to hope that the mind-set/attitude of the stereotypical Christian that so annoys Introverted Thinking is going to undergo a shift in the next one or two generations.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway2 View Post
    So, if you go to church and/or like anything about it or organized religion. Why? I want to understand!
    What's not to like about communities coming together in love in order to spread love? People are corporate animals: we surround ourselves with like-minded individuals who support us in pursuing our goals.

MBTI
    ENFJ

i dont like church and i think religious people are idiots. thinking this way seems to be a function of being intelligent. and speaing of intelligence, whats really sad is that small percentage of really bright people and all the excuses and rationlizations they make i order to "keep believing".
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I am into religion, I guess it's not enough to say that I'm religious but more that I'm fascinated by religion. Then again I'm into the whole history and anthropology thing, and religion is naturally a part of the package.

I don't know, maybe I naturally attract religious people, a lot of my friends have been religious, but they weren't the type of religious people who throw rationality to the wayside. For the most part they're respectful to me.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I am into religion, I guess it's not enough to say that I'm religious but more that I'm fascinated by religion. Then again I'm into the whole history and anthropology thing, and religion is naturally a part of the package.

I don't know, maybe I naturally attract religious people, a lot of my friends have been religious, but they weren't the type of religious people who throw rationality to the wayside. For the most part they're respectful to me.
    what aspects of christianity do you think are rational?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    Who says my religious friends are Christian?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    Here you go:
    Intro to Thomistic Philosophy

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It was only a matter of time.

I knew I could count on you.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Who says my religious friends are Christian?
    ok, so name some rational componets of their religion

MBTI
    INTP

^only some is eternal.