User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 458

  1. #71
    Senior Member milkyway2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I was a Christian and believed in God hardcore until I was like 17 or 18. Even after I started to question Christianity I still took the arguments seriously for God existing and gave them a whole lot of thought. The more time that goes on and the more and more I think about it the less and less I can believe there is a God.

  2. #72
    desert pelican Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    a complex idea built upon a hollow shell is a complex idea built upon a hollow shell
    I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Propaganda to make a book more appealing to Gnostics doesn't confer a quality on a figure who may or may not have tangibly existed.
    Sure, it's more appealing to Gnostics. It's more appealing to everyone!

    At this point in the thread, I'm not concerned with whether Jesus existed or not, or even whether the system of beliefs that comprises the fundamentals of the Christian worldview are true or not, but with whether there is "one precept central to christianity that embodies the spirit of reason." (A fortuitous phrasing as the Gospel of John quite clearly calls Jesus the logos incarnate.)

  3. #73
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    There's nothing esoteric about faith. Faith basically means trust, which is fundamental to human life however way you perceive it(regardless of belief or disbelief in God). Concerning contradictions, you have to realise that religious belief is based heavily on paradox.
    esoteric = understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest

    i think that applies to faith. i'd furthermore add the words nebulous, intangible, and insulating.



    even if a paradox were the same thing as a contradiction (its not) that would be no reason for me (or anyone) to accept the validity of any religious claim or concept.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  4. #74
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    esoteric = understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest
    I know what esoteric means, and I stand by my argument.

    even if a paradox were the same thing as a contradiction (its not) that would be no reason for me (or anyone) to accept the validity of any religious claim or concept.
    It's true that contradictions and paradoxes are not the same thing, too often people confuse the two in regards to its relationship to religious truth. You certainly are confusing the two in this case. Furthermore, your argument rests upon asserting the Principle of Non-Contradiction - which ironically itself cannot actually be proven to be true but must be assumed to be. In other words, an Axiom as it's called in logic. So perhaps it's you who's the one engaging in contradiction here.

  5. #75
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I know what esoteric means, and I stand by my argument.
    people like you really frustrate me. there are some fundamental problems with your religion. you think, or at least your text calls for, me and everyone who doesnt think like you to go to hell and suffer/burn forever. thats a pretty horrible idea. i guess thats why you rather focus on mamonides and aquanias and haggle over the defintion of "faith". it's a lot eaier than admitting you're hooked up with one of the worst ideas ever invented by man.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  6. #76
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It's true that contradictions and paradoxes are not the same thing, too often people confuse the two in regards to its relationship to religious truth. You certainly are confusing the two in this case. Furthermore, your argument rests upon asserting the Principle of Non-Contradiction - which ironically itself cannot actually be proven to be true but must be assumed to be. In other words, an Axiom as it's called in logic. So perhaps it's you who's the one engaging in contradiction here.
    No, christianity defines god as both loving, and just. There is nothing loving nor just about hell. The very act of creating a hell and sending people there goes directly against the stated qualities, primary qualites, your god is supposed to have.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  7. #77
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Yes I can see why I'm frustrating to you, because I actually know what I'm talking about in regards to the topic at hand.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    No, christianity defines god as both loving, and just. There is nothing loving nor just about hell. The very act of creating a hell and sending people there goes directly against the stated qualities, primary qualites, your god is supposed to have.
    I guess your whole argument here just revolves around Hell.

  8. #78
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes I can see why I'm frustrating to you, because I actually know what I'm talking about in regards to the topic at hand.
    i've laid out some rather straitforward complaints. so i guess i was right when i said you rather evade them than admit to being a part of them.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  9. #79
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I guess your whole argument here just revolves around Hell.
    as if pointing that out makes it any less of a horrible idea.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  10. #80
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    You've evaded several of my arguments, especially by throwing in Hell randomly and then accuse me of focusing on the definition of faith when that was exactly the issue you brought up. So let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] INTP and Escapism
    By The Unknown Essence in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM
  2. [INTP] The INTP and Feelings
    By reason in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 11:02 AM
  3. [INTP] INTPs and Big Crowds/Concerts
    By intpgirl in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 06:33 PM
  4. [INTP] INTPs and Grammar
    By MerkW in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 07:06 AM
  5. [INTP] INTPs and life
    By JonJT in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 08:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO