User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    If you do not allow the explanation for anything religious to be "Because God said so," everything begins to make sense.
    Isn't that what it inevitably reduces to, however? That, or some other non-empirical a priori premise?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Isn't that what it inevitably reduces to, however? That, or some other non-empirical a priori premise?
    Can you please explain that statement? I have no idea what you just said.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFJ

I don't know.

If you look on a very basic level religions very much so follow Darwin's theories; strong ones survive. Is it because of some God-given rules? I really have no idea, and I think it's kind of beside the point.
    but why would god design such a capricious, indifferent world? i think its far easier to say that things are the way they are for no other reason than scientific forces, which have no interest in being moralitic or kind. i think assignng all of this to a creator, a designer, is just setting yourself up for some very serious pyschic consequences (assuming you are going to look at things without making exucses).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Can you please explain that statement? I have no idea what you just said.
    While the communitarian aspects of religion share commonality with other human group-forming traits, the other aspects, such as dogmatism and social control structures, only derive their logical validity if a person accepts certain first principles. Not only that, but it is impossible to prove these first principles wrong.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    but why would god design such a capricious, indifferent world? i think its far easier to say that things are the way they are for no other reason than scientific forces, which have no interest in being moralitic or kind. i think assignng all of this to a creator, a designer, is just setting yourself up for some very serious pyschic consequences (assuming you are going to look at things without making exucses).
    Oh, I'm not talking about things like the creation of the universe. I'm looking at things like why people go to church, why people follow Kosher laws, etc.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Oh, I'm not talking about things like the creation of the universe. I'm looking at things like why people go to church, why people follow Kosher laws, etc.
    those are all explained away by insecurity and need for conformity

MBTI
    ENFJ

While the communitarian aspects of religion share commonality with other human group-forming traits, the other aspects, such as dogmatism and social control structures, only derive their logical validity if a person accepts certain first principles. Not only that, but it is impossible to prove these first principles wrong.
    You're still using too many big words, and I thought its purpose was to perpetuate itself, like any good organism.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

You're still using too many big words, and I thought its purpose was to perpetuate itself, like any good organism.
    If you take the dogma and mystical aspects out of modern religion, it is essentially the same as a tribe, which as you mention, seeks primarily to ensure the survival of subsequent generations. Sports fanbases are much the same. Explaining why one should follow a religion, opposed to following a sports team, requires a person to accept certain things as true, when they're essentially impossible to prove.

MBTI
    ENFJ

If you take the dogma and mystical aspects out of modern religion, it is essentially the same as a tribe, which as you mention, seeks primarily to ensure the survival of subsequent generations. Sports fanbases are much the same. Explaining why one should follow a religion, opposed to following a sports team, requires a person to accept certain things as true, when they're essentially impossible to prove.
    I don't know, a lot of religions promise spiritual immortality, which, logically, seems like a better promise than any your sports team is going to give you. It all comes down to whether you think it can make good on that.

MBTI
    ENFJ

tribal? heck yes. what could be more tribal than saying you are god's choosen people, or that those who do not worship jesus as you do, or mohhamed, are in danger of eternal punishment......