User Tag List

First 273536373839 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    The physical workings of the universe account for the entire scope of human existence?

Absolutely not.
    ok, you can have religion. i'll stick with modern medicine, modern science, psychology, psychiatry and modern applainces.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Maybe. Maybe not.

Can you tell what the software does by examining the transistors on the CPU?

The scientific method is reductive. Reductive thinking is necessarily narrow. It cannot leap forth into the unknown. It grasps around on its hands and knee like a blind wretch searching for discarded morsels.
    You can if given both the nature of the transistors and the pattern of the electrical current, can't you?

At the same time, when grasping on to those morsels, it can put them together in ways that are both regular and predictable, leading to unforeseen uses for things once thought particularly common and dull. Right now, I'm looking at the polywell reactor as the potentially greatest expression of this principle.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    ok, you can have religion. i'll stick with modern medicine, modern science, psychology, psychiatry and modern applainces.
    You can have your close-mindedness. It suits you.

As for modern science, your faith in it also suits you. This was once considered modern science:

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    You can if given both the nature of the transistors and the pattern of the electrical current, can't you?

At the same time, when grasping on to those morsels, it can put them together in ways that are both regular and predictable, leading to unforeseen uses for things once thought particularly common and dull. Right now, I'm looking at the polywell reactor as the potentially greatest expression of this principle.
    My point is that dividing reality up into tiny observable bits only takes you part of the way in discovering essential truths of existence.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm defending the right to believe in something without having someone judging what you believe as ignorant and ridiculous. As I said, I am not a Christian.
    but it is ignorant and ridiulous. not to mention hostile.

You are asserting nothing more than the right to decide what is reasonable to believe.
    yeah, its quite unresoanble to say that everyone who doesnt think like you deserves to go to hell land suffer forever. i have no problem at all saying that.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

The physical workings of the universe account for the entire scope of human existence?

Absolutely not.
    We still have barely scratched the surface as to what the physical workings of the universe are. In my mind, if there are gods, they are pantheistic. The monotheistic concept of an omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent god is by nature impossible outside of this concept.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    but it is ignorant and ridiulous. not to mention hostile.
    Again, you are making some claim to judge what is ridiculous?

yeah, its quite unresoanble to say that everyone who doesnt think like you deserves to go to hell land suffer forever. i have no problem at all saying that.
    From whence springs your axe to grind? Is your Dad super religious?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

My point is that dividing reality up into tiny observable bits only takes you part of the way in discovering essential truths of existence.
    As far as I'm concerned, the essential truth of existence is that we exist. Any further inquiry in the absence of hard evidence leads one down the road of solipsism, which we all can agree is a dead end, right?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    We still have barely scratched the surface as to what the physical workings of the universe are. In my mind, if there are gods, they are pantheistic. The monotheistic concept of an omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent god is by nature impossible outside of this concept.
    So, at least you allow for the possibility of something METAPHYSICAL?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Why, if God seems to emphasize one's eternal soul over the temporary physical realm? Again. I'm young and confused and not a Christian. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow and die an agonizing death, and then burn in agonizing hellfire for eternity because of your theory. Physical death is such an arbitrary deadline.

Here's a list of other people who would burn in everlasting hellfire:

1) those in the wrong place/wrong time to learn to accept Christ
    2) those who did good in the world but did not dedicate their good works to Christ
    3) Babies and young children who died without an understanding of Christ
    4) Older people who, through whatever mental deficiencies, could not accept Christ
    5) People with a crises of faith who just happened to die in the middle of it

Wow, that seems awfully unjust. I don't think I could love a God who would do that. Perhaps I will just have to martyr myself after death and burn in agonizing hellfire forever for my beliefs.
    1, 2, & 5 assume there isn't a clear general revelation in view of which men are without excuse for their unbelief.

3 & 4 are more difficult, and are probably among those things that cannot be known without additional revelation. God could save such persons, but would he? I like to think he does.