User Tag List

First 263435363738 Last

Results 351 to 360 of 458

  1. #351
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I would argue that you wouldn't really know it then, would you?
    Funny that. I actually disagree.

    Recent work on the unconscious tells us that we know and perceive many things unconsciously that we could never explain or understand with our conscious minds. Gut feelings are real. Intuition is real.

    More and more we learn that what we call consciousness is just an afterthought tacked onto a vast reservoir of unconscious feelings, thoughts, and impulses. Things we know on some level, and yet on another entire level, we are completely blind to.

    At any time, our mind is processing millions of pieces of stimuli both internal and external and yet we are only dimly consciously aware of just a sliver of what we experience.

    So, it is patently obvious to me that we can "feel" something greater than what we can perceive consciously.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  2. #352
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    you're calling me arrogant because I say it's cruel to send someone to hell and suffer forever becasue they don't believe in the christian god. wow.
    Your interpretation is false. But, how much time should I spend trying to correct you? Those with ears will listen.


    such as? lets stick to the ones in the bible for the current discussion.
    Try thinking about it seriously for more than a second.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  3. #353
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Funny that. I actually disagree.

    Recent work on the unconscious tells us that we know and perceive many things unconsciously that we could never explain or understand with our conscious minds. Gut feelings are real. Intuition is real.

    More and more we learn that what we call consciousness is just an afterthought tacked onto a vast reservoir of unconscious feelings, thoughts, and impulses. Things we know on some level, and yet on another entire level, we are completely blind to.

    At any time, our mind is processing millions of pieces of stimuli both internal and external and yet we are only dimly consciously aware of just a sliver of what we experience.

    So, it is patently obvious to me that we can "feel" something greater than what we can perceive consciously.
    And yet, given this research, can we not objectively identify these things? Isn't our unconscious cognition simply the framing behind the conscious reality? One does not need to know the chemical composition of film, nor the physical properties of the lamp of the projector to enjoy the movie on the screen, do they? And yet, if they want to know such things, do they not exist within physical reality?

  4. #354
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    And yet, given this research, can we not objectively identify these things? Isn't our unconscious cognition simply the framing behind the conscious reality? One does not need to know the chemical composition of film, nor the physical properties of the lamp of the projector to enjoy the movie on the screen, do they? And yet, if they want to know such things, do they not exist within physical reality?
    Maybe. Maybe not.

    Can you tell what the software does by examining the transistors on the CPU?

    The scientific method is reductive. Reductive thinking is necessarily narrow. It cannot leap forth into the unknown. It grasps around on its hands and knee like a blind wretch searching for discarded morsels.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  5. #355
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Your interpretation is false. But, how much time should I spend trying to correct you? Those with ears will listen.
    no, see, you have (1) heaven and (2) hell and then you die and where you go when you die depends upon the "choice" you made about god while alive.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  6. #356
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    no, see, you have (1) heaven and (2) hell and then you die and where you go when you die depends upon the "choice" you made about god while alive.
    You shame yourself by being so simple-minded.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  7. #357
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    The scientific method is reductive. Reductive thinking is necessarily narrow. It cannot leap forth into the unknown. It grasps around on its hands and knee like a blind wretch searching for discarded morsels.
    yeah well it seems to provide a lot more answers than say, the bible, about the physical workings of the universe.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  8. #358
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    You shame yourself by being so simple-minded.
    you shame yourself by defending such a horrible set of ideas
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  9. #359
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    yeah well it seems to provide a lot more answers than say, the bible, about the physical workings of the universe.
    The physical workings of the universe account for the entire scope of human existence?

    Absolutely not.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  10. #360
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    you shame yourself by defending such a horrible set of ideas
    I'm defending the right to believe in something without having someone judging what you believe as ignorant and ridiculous. As I said, I am not a Christian.

    You are asserting nothing more than the right to decide what is reasonable to believe.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] INTP and Escapism
    By The Unknown Essence in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM
  2. [INTP] The INTP and Feelings
    By reason in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 11:02 AM
  3. [INTP] INTPs and Big Crowds/Concerts
    By intpgirl in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 06:33 PM
  4. [INTP] INTPs and Grammar
    By MerkW in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 07:06 AM
  5. [INTP] INTPs and life
    By JonJT in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 08:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO