User Tag List

First 21293031323341 Last

Results 301 to 310 of 458

  1. #301
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Have you considered the possibility that they are ignorant by choice?
    Ignorance stems from a contradiction of thoughts. If belief a. does not align with belief b. and c., then a. may be ignored. We all do this to maintain a harmonic world-view.

    If belief a. contradicts b-z, when why would one go through the trouble of dismembering b-z in favor of a?

  2. #302
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    no, see, i dont believe in jesus christ as my lord and savior, or how ever you want to put it. so for this simple fact, a belief, I am supposed to go to hell and suffer forever? For what? A belief. And you, you pick the right god so you get to go to heaven and all the rest of us go to hell.

    I can't see how I'm either supposed to like that or accept it.




    sports dont drive people apart quite the same way religion does......
    You could make an argument for how nationalism or money or power or any material element could provoke rivalries, wars, or genocide in a populace of people. One does not need to look any further back in history than the present to observe this. The world is burning.

  3. #303
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    You could make an argument for how nationalism or money or power or any material element could provoke rivalries, wars, or genocide in a populace of people. One does not need to look any further back in history than the present to observe this. The world is burning.
    so you're going to defend religion by comparing it to other corrosive forces.... ?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  4. #304
    desert pelican Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    but the point is you don't. how come the only way you can defend yourself is by talking about silly hypotheticals you don't even believe in????
    Do you "really really really want to believe the moon is made of green cheese"? That is a silly hypothetical you don't believe, but you used it to try to show that you conform your beliefs to "the facts;" therefore, you can't want to believe that the moon is made of green cheese because, presumably, it isn't factual. Then, you said you couldn't make yourself believe that a $10 fine is an acceptable punishment for rape or murder, presumably, because factually it isn't an acceptable consequence.

    My point is this: everyone wants to believe what is factual, and everyone believes that his beliefs are factual. I'm trying to get you to question how we come to know the facts.

    What reason have you given me to abandon my position? Your conscience tells you that some of the doctrines of Christianity, (which you think you understand but are actually straw-men), are wrong. Should I take your conscience to be the ultimate authority on both Christian doctrine and the nature of the universe?

  5. #305
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    What reason have you given me to abandon my position? Your conscience tells you that some of the doctrines of Christianity, (which you think you understand but are actually straw-men), are wrong. Should I take your conscience to be the ultimate authority on both Christian doctrine and the nature of the universe?
    I havent created a straw man
    I've just pointed out what the bible says
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  6. #306
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    so you're going to defend religion by comparing it to other corrosive forces.... ?
    Oh, no. I do not believe my religion is corrosive. However, some of those who practice it may be corrosive. This is the folly of being a Christian who attempts to walk in the shoes of Christ. Perhaps it is the folly of an institution that uses religion with ignorance or for immoral benefit. People are imperfect.

  7. #307
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Oh, no. I do not believe my religion is corrosive. However, some of those who practice it may be corrosive. This is the folly of being a Christian who attempts to walk in the shoes of Christ. Perhaps it is the folly of an institution that uses religion with ignorance or for immoral benefit. People are imperfect.
    no. christianity seperates the world into 2 groups. christians and non christians. please don't even try to argue that doesnt divide people.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  8. #308
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    no. christianity seperates the world into 2 groups. christians and non christians. please don't even try to argue that doesnt divide people.
    Sure, it divides people. Is division somehow unethical? Division manifests itself from differences among people. People are as individual as snow-flakes. We're all divided and simultaneously connected by being human. When we forget that the others are human - distinct from the animal or inanimate - we may find ethical fault. The Bible supports this notion through selflessness.

  9. #309
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Sure, it divides people. Is division somehow unethical? Division manifests itself from differences among people. People are as individual as snow-flakes. We're all divided and simultaneously connected by being human. When we forget that the others are human - distinct from the animal or inanimate - we may find ethical fault. The Bible supports this notion through selflessness.
    the bible may promote selflessness
    it also promotes division
    not difference
    but division
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  10. #310
    desert pelican Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    I havent created a straw man
    I've just pointed out what the bible says
    And Moby Dick is only a whale.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] INTP and Escapism
    By The Unknown Essence in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM
  2. [INTP] The INTP and Feelings
    By reason in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 11:02 AM
  3. [INTP] INTPs and Big Crowds/Concerts
    By intpgirl in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 06:33 PM
  4. [INTP] INTPs and Grammar
    By MerkW in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 07:06 AM
  5. [INTP] INTPs and life
    By JonJT in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 08:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO