User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9/5?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    ok, so name some rational componets of their religion
    What does that even mean? Aspects that make sense?
    "There are no answers, only choices."
    -Jennifer

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    What does that even mean? Aspects that make sense?
    yeah, i guess that would work
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9/5?

Seems to me that the ethical notion that one ought to treat others as one wishes to be treated makes sense.
    "There are no answers, only choices."
    -Jennifer

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway2 View Post
    Is it because I am an INTP that I hate religion?
    If you're asking whether the proposition "If a person is INTP, then that person hates religion" is true, it is not.

I am an INTP who does not hate religion. This directly contradicts the proposition in question. You might want to look elsewhere for a causal factor.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I originally believed in it because all the older adults did (and just like I was taught about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy my my parents), but then as I got older, and I was exposed to science, all of that stuff fell by the wayside.
    As a teenager, the heavy politicized Christianity of the 80's both insulted Ti (with its knowledge of how the universe works) and triggered Fi (a negative function for us), and as I now realize, my reaction was to use it back on them as club to knock them off their pedestal.
    However, I had a lot of problems in life, and did eventually come to see a form of Christianity as a possible solution, but then since belief was portrayed as being more "certain", it caused a lot of problems. (Then I would get some writers who admitted there was no absolute certainty in faith, and that then was confusing).
    Another thing attractive about Church is the sense of belonging, from inferior Fe.
    Really, church was originally more about friends and family fellowshipping together, than going to a some building full of strangers run by an organization and paying some guy to preach to you.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Going by Kiersey, I think churches work against the informative nature. INTPs want to be able to share information, to know and exchange. How can they do this if the answer is to just believe?
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My INTP and I are both Christians, met at Bible college in fact, but we pretty much find going to church torturous. The music is good sometimes and sometimes I find people that I enjoy getting to know but oftentimes the sermons are unbelievably dumb and, being Evangelical, they want to get some kind of emotional response from people. Highly uncomfortable. There is no way we would go if we didn't believe in God and believe that he commanded believers to meet regularly for worship. Even then sometimes we can't make ourselves do it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Sometimes people belong to a church to connect to a sense of group superiority, which strangely enough can also be a reason people reject religion. Reason can certainly dictate a person's model of the world away from religion, but that isn't often demonstrated by assuming everyone in a religion is "stupid".

It can be demonstrated that there are intelligent, religious people. They score high on tests and make contributions to society. It isn't particularly comfortable to face the fact that brilliant minds can embrace certain ideas, especially if these differ from one's own or can be shown to be against reason. If a person is to embrace reason, then it makes sense to take it the whole way and approach such a sociological issue in a fair-minded way that reflects reality. (not necessarily referring to the OP in particular)

Perhaps a strong need for answers to everything is one draw towards religion which typically create a cosmology that an agreed upon response to any given question. I do think the social sense of being "set apart", or "having the truth", or "being God's chosen", etc. is a common thread in every religion and has its own version in some non-religious thinking. It articulates the "Us vs. Them" in such a way to demonstrate superiority. There are lots of way to achieve that, but religion can be one.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Sometimes people belong to a church to connect to a sense of group superiority, which strangely enough can also be a reason people reject religion. Reason can certainly dictate a person's model of the world away from religion, but that isn't often demonstrated by assuming everyone in a religion is "stupid".

It can be demonstrated that there are intelligent, religious people. They score high on tests and make contributions to society. It isn't particularly comfortable to face the fact that brilliant minds can embrace certain ideas, especially if these differ from one's own or can be shown to be against reason. If a person is to embrace reason, then it makes sense to take it the whole way and approach such a sociological issue in a fair-minded way that reflects reality. (not necessarily referring to the OP in particular)

Perhaps a strong need for answers to everything is one draw towards religion which typically create a cosmology that an agreed upon response to any given question. I do think the social sense of being "set apart", or "having the truth", or "being God's chosen", etc. is a common thread in every religion and has its own version in some non-religious thinking. It articulates the "Us vs. Them" in such a way to demonstrate superiority. There are lots of way to achieve that, but religion can be one.
    Yes but it seems you're assuming that religion by its very nature means irrationality, which is not necessarily the case. I already pointed to St. Thomas Aquinas before, but even the Islamic philosopher Averroes noted that faith and reason are means towards the same end - ie the truth.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    yeah, i guess that would work
    I already pointed to St. Thomas Aquinas. But here's Justin Martyr, who was an early Christian figure:

"Reason directs those who are truly pious and philosophical to honour and love only what is true, declining to follow traditional opinions, if these be worthless. For not only does sound reason direct us to refuse the guidance of those who did or taught anything wrong, but it is incumbent on the lover of truth, by all means, and if death be threatened, even before his own life, to choose to do and say what is right."