User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    For one, there's an important "if" in there. For another, if such a hell exists, people don't wind up there for disagreeing with me. Anyway, I think I'm going to take a break from this thread for a bit, in spite of all the good it seems to be doing.
    really? you believe in christ, those in hell, don't.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I always figured that these NTs who have something against religion hate it because they can't rationalize it.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Religion and rational in the same sentence?

Do you believe in God?

Do you believe in my God?

Do you believe in what I say about the nature of our God?

Religious people eventually eliminate one another, so the non-believers don't have to.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Hell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a very good wiki entry on the history of hell in that it includes the etymology and cultural context for the ORIGINAL Greek.

Having a religious discussion can be very entertaining. A very small percentage of Americans are even aware of the Wisdom concepts, and Sophia. The Bible has three words for love which in the original Greek have three very differing meanings, where in the English language we only have one word for love.

In absence of etymology, much of the story and meaning are lost.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I used to hate religion, but I don't anymore. It still isn't for me, but I've come to accept that many people have vacuums in their mind/soul/brain/moral center and in many cases Jesus or Buddha or what have you can fill this vacuum. Carl Jung once treated a man with severe alcoholism that desperatly wanted to quit but could not, so he gave him every treatment approach in the book and everything he could think of. After all those failed, he suggested that the man go out and explore religion. He did and he came back a few weeks later and had completely cut alcohol cold turkey - he found Jesus.

One thing I've had to come to terms with in studying Psych and Philosophy is that for some reason, which i cannot fathom but presuppose that it has to do with animation in general, human beings not only tend to believe things, but they NEED to. What a person needs to believe seems dependent upon their culture and social factors of course, but it also depends a great deal on their temperament - the XXFJs come to mind here. Sometimes religion affords for them belief systems and sentiments according that they could not achieve elsewhere. Those beliefs get more reinforced the more they are around others with similar needs and that "need", or hole, in their metaphysical system, gets filled in.

I also disagree that this has to do with intellectualism(s). Many intellectual giants and geniuses like Leibniz and Newton had absolutely no qualms about the notion of God - then again maybe that's because a mathematician knows God more intimately than any theist ever could. It's about human beliefs, not thinking/feeling/understanding capacities.

Sniffles

It can easily be argued that religion is a part of human nature, and one that fundamentally seperates us from animals, since animals don't have rudimentary forms of religious experiences.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Actually you're wrong. The ones that stick towards orthodox beliefs tend to outlive those Christians that simply follow prevailing trends. I guess the best example known example would be the liberal Christians who supported fascist movements and eugenics in the early 20th century.
    I'm not talking about specific sects of Christianity staying popular or not, I'm talking about the shifting of views within all of Christianity over the years. The fundamentalist Christian of today, for example, is less bigoted than that of 50 years ago. Concerning race, gender roles, homosexuality, marriage, society etc... Christians as a whole slowly become more liberal in their thinking as time goes by, mirroring the rest of society, but behind it. The South isn't as racist as it once was, and probably never will be. Of course there is still a lot of backwards thinking, but the trend is moving away from it.

Sniffles

Once again ajblaise focuses exclusively on fundamentalism.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Once again ajblaise focuses exclusively on fundamentalism.
    Take any branch of Christianity, and my point still applies; even more so with non-fundamentalist branches becoming more liberal.

Sniffles

At best your view would apply only to post-WWII era and the rise of the Baby Boomer generation.