User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 458

  1. #91
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Why do you let your religion define your beliefs, rather than let your beliefs define your religion?
    Because when you do that, you don't always end up within your religion anymore.

    Actually, there was a study that showed that a high percentage of Christians incorporate parts of Eastern religion and New Age into their belief system and hold views incompatible with Christianity. I think pick-and-choose religion is great, because the views of religious people that fall out of popular favor over time tend to be the most bigoted and outdated ones.

  2. #92
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Why do you let your religion define your beliefs, rather than let your beliefs define your religion?
    Because among other things, I have the humility to admit that I myself don't hold all the answers. Plus there's also the simple fact that I tend agree with what the Church tends to teach anyways. If that were not so, I would either become Orthodox, join another religion, or go back to being an atheist.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I think pick-and-choose religion is great, because the views of religious people that fall out of popular favor over time tend to be the most bigoted and outdated ones.
    Actually you're wrong. The ones that stick towards orthodox beliefs tend to outlive those Christians that simply follow prevailing trends. I guess the best example known example would be the liberal Christians who supported fascist movements and eugenics in the early 20th century.

  3. #93
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    There's a lot about Biblical descriptions of Hell that's pretty insulting to non-Christians. But more and more, the average Christian doesn't go around thinking everyone that doesn't think exactly like them is going to burn for eternity. Hell is becoming more symbolic and allegorical and less literal in their minds, even though the same hasn't exactly happened with Heaven (because it's suppose to be nice there).
    it doesnt matter if they want to ignore it. its stil there, in the bible.



    You might think of it as perverted justice, but it is still technically a form of justice. And Christianity doesn't only define God as loving and just, there is also vengeance, anger, jealousy etc. (more so in the OT than the NT). God seems to run the gambit of human emotion.
    1- justice= punishment fits the crime
    2- OT = is not the NT
    3- in the NT god is loving
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  4. #94
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    1- justice= punishment fits the crime
    2- OT = is not the NT
    3- in the NT god is loving
    That's why you can say Jews and Christians don't worship the same entity at all.
    Nietzsche noticed that too: Both testaments are too contradictory.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  5. #95
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    That's why you can say Jews and Christians don't worship the same entity at all.
    Nietzsche noticed that too: Both testaments are too contradictory.
    "The New Testament God is really kind of a great guy. He is, especially when you compare him to the Old Testament God -- who is a prick."
    --Lewis Black

  6. #96
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9/5?
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    it doesnt matter if they want to ignore it. its stil there, in the bible.
    Hardly. For one, it seems to me that it would be difficult to read the Bible and come away thinking that a main point of it all is to get to heaven and avoid hell. Hell is just in no way a prominent theme in the Bible and doesn't show up very much, and where it is there it's hardly clear what exactly it is. You're making assertions of its presence in the Bible, but seem to be relying almost exclusively on certain streams of tradition which go well beyond what's stated in the Bible in your understanding of hell.

    For another, you seem to talk about the Bible like a fundamentalist would - as though it's very straightforward as to what it says and as though it's the one supreme authority for Christians. This is a minority view among Christians.
    "There are no answers, only choices."
    -Jennifer

  7. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8sx
    Socionics
    ENTJ
    Posts
    153

    Default

    I don't think it's because your an INTP that you hate religion. I know of at least four INTPs that I go to church with. One is the teaching pastor, another is a philosophy professor at a local college, another is a good friend of mine who is planning on going to seminary, and the other is one of the most brilliant people I have ever met.

  8. #98
    Senior Member Robert165's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Hardly. For one, it seems to me that it would be difficult to read the Bible and come away thinking that a main point of it all is to get to heaven and avoid hell. Hell is just in no way a prominent theme in the Bible and doesn't show up very much, and where it is there it's hardly clear what exactly it is. You're making assertions of its presence in the Bible, but seem to be relying almost exclusively on certain streams of tradition which go well beyond what's stated in the Bible in your understanding of hell.

    For another, you seem to talk about the Bible like a fundamentalist would - as though it's very straightforward as to what it says and as though it's the one supreme authority for Christians. This is a minority view among Christians.
    everthing i am stating can be pulled directly fron the bible. ignoring it, excusising it, rationlizing it doesn't change anything.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

    I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

  9. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    I haven't set foot in a church for over twelve years.

    Very active throughout my youth, primarily for the social aspects...

    My thoughts on the topic are nearly identical to George Carlin and
    Penn and Teller.

    If people choose to pay clergy and for construction, I see it no differently
    than people choosing to pay bankers and for their construction.

    At least the church offers a social network in return.

    So not an NT thing, I know at least four ISTP's who think organized religion is bull.

  10. #100
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9/5?
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    everthing i am stating can be pulled directly fron the bible. ignoring it, excusising it, rationlizing it doesn't change anything.
    Really? Then please, do enlighten me.
    "There are no answers, only choices."
    -Jennifer

Similar Threads

  1. [INTP] INTP and Escapism
    By The Unknown Essence in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM
  2. [INTP] The INTP and Feelings
    By reason in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 121
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 11:02 AM
  3. [INTP] INTPs and Big Crowds/Concerts
    By intpgirl in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 06:33 PM
  4. [INTP] INTPs and Grammar
    By MerkW in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 07:06 AM
  5. [INTP] INTPs and life
    By JonJT in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 08:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO