User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I grew up atheist, have always been either atheistic or agnostic, and usually find the concept of a deity to be rather hard to swallow. On the other hand I really wish there was a God or some sort of essential meaning extant in the universe. From my extensive reading and thinking about things I am sometimes convinced that life is essentially empty and devoid of meaning. For some people an existence without boundaries or rules is liberating but I have a hard time dealing with it and usually have to try to distract myself from thinking about it all. I think having a deity on your side and some objective rules to live by would be extremely comforting. Of course this doesn't justify coddling your children from the realities of the world, but I don't think that there is any actual benefit to atheism. However I have no doubt I am in the extreme minority in this view.
    There are miles to go before I sleep...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It's not truth people fear. It's not knowing the truth that's so unbearable for people. So they make it up, or someone makes it up for them. Anything for closure.
    I disagree; again, if truth=nihilism, then I think the vast majority of people would prefer ignorance over "closure." And I think a majority would prefer comforting delusions to either.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 12-25-2009 at 06:31 AM. Reason: clarification

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Robert165 View Post
    it's not resoanable if the lie is easily detectable
    Do you consider most world religions "easily detectable" lies? They somehow still offer comfort to the majority of the world's inhabitants....
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 12-25-2009 at 06:36 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Do you consider most world religions "easily detectable" lies? They somehow still offer comfort to the majority of the world's inhabitants....
    Is shit tasty? Still, millions of flies are hovering above it every minute.

Truth holds value in itself, even if it happens to be harsh or cruel. I'm all for the red pill, me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Retyping and editing something I wrote sometime before. Personally I believe in God. I have thought about it and there is an endless logical loop about it. People stop at one point in this loop forsaking the other side to which they make their conclusion. Anyways, because of this it comes down to other factors. I go into the spiritual aspect which in turn tells me there is a God.
    I don't wish to start an argument based on the whole thing because:

1. I know exactly the process in which people think about the whole idea
    2. We will get nowhere because people wouldn't comprehend what I say
    3. Every point people argue will already be known to me

But there are certain atheistic arguments that are so pathetic they would make me want to bang my head on the wall. Especially the feeler type atheists who try only to use feelings to justify their claims. I understand the point of view of the atheists so arguing with one would be sad on my part as I would know what they would say and mean. If I were to explain why God exists on my part it would take quite a while so I'm not necessarily up for the job right now....

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    If I were to explain why God exists on my part it would take quite a while so I'm not necessarily up for the job right now....
    if god exists he should be readily apparent, like heat or gravity, or the clear understanding that tehft and murder are wrong, ie, noone shold have to explain god if god were really a entity worth explaining
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert165/

I'm just trying to do this Jigsaw puzzle, before it rains anymore.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

if god exists he should be readily apparent, like heat or gravity, or the clear understanding that tehft and murder are wrong, ie, noone shold have to explain god if god were really a entity worth explaining
    I stressed in my post I know and understand the points the atheists make on the existence on God. This is just another one. It is useless to give me any argument on it. You only go to a certain point.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I stressed in my post I know and understand the points the atheists make on the existence on God. This is just another one. It is useless to give me any argument on it.
    yeah i can see that it's useless, however
    if you dont want a reaction, why post?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

yeah i can see that it's useless, however
    if you dont want a reaction, why post?
    Well, there can be several reasons. Perhaps the main reason would be if maybe if someone was curious of my personal religious beliefs they can now find out. Another would be so that people can realise that their are people who fully understand both sides of the spectrum and has gone to a point much further when it comes to atheistic debates. Or maybe I just like to state that atheists are wrong while fully knowing and understanding their views and beliefs. But I usually just leave the atheists to their views. I wouldn't have the need to argue something I doubt their egos would allow through. Pointless debates... This is of course not to offend the atheists here. Many of them are really nice people.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Well, there can be several reasons. Perhaps the main reason would be if maybe if someone was curious of my personal religious beliefs they can now find out. Another would be so that people can realise that their are people who fully understand both sides of the spectrum and has gone to a point much further when it comes to atheistic debates. Or maybe I just like to state that atheists are wrong while fully knowing and understanding their views and beliefs. But I usually just leave the atheists to their views. I wouldn't have the need to argue something I doubt their egos would allow through. Pointless debates... This is of course not to offend the atheists here. Many of them are really nice people.
    yeah but the rational side of my mind, the atheist part, is just itching to get you to declare your views on god so that i can deconstruct them and prove them wrong. because, any view on god has to be flawed, since he can not be defined. definng what you can not possibly know is like a red flag to my rational mind.