• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is your Religion your Race?

Lark

The Evangelical Christians in the US want all the Jews to move back to Israel because apparently you need that to start the Rapture.

Yeah well seeing as the rapture is heretical nonsense dreamt up by seriously bad biblical scholarship good luck to them.

Lark

Did that interpretation start after the Crusades and the Inquisition?

Oh yeah because either of those particularly targetted Jews, if I remember rightly Christendom was much kinder to Jews than the Kalhiphat (spelling) was.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Oh yeah because either of those particularly targetted Jews, if I remember rightly Christendom was much kinder to Jews than the Kalhiphat (spelling) was.
There's no need to be snarky.

First of all, I wasn't asking you; and secondly, do you know the answer or not?

Lark

There's no need to be snarky.

First of all, I wasn't asking you; and secondly, do you know the answer or not?

What answer are you on about? I'm not being snarky, I was only making a point, I believe you were being snarky about Christianity.

I'm seriously tired of hearing about the much exaggerated crimes of Christians, you'd think Christians were satans own storm troopers and responsible for all the wrong in the world past and present. Gets me angry and I take it personal.

Its like holocaust jokes, it really is.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Can I convert to being Latin American? They have the best food and holidays.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
What answer are you on about? I'm not being snarky, I was only making a point, I believe you were being snarky about Christianity.

I'm seriously tired of hearing about the much exaggerated crimes of Christians, you'd think Christians were satans own storm troopers and responsible for all the wrong in the world past and present. Gets me angry and I take it personal.

Its like holocaust jokes, it really is.
First of all, your point is invalid because no one said anything about being "targeted." Your attempt to reframe tells me that you're going to give me an emotional and defensive response. And just by reading a couple of your posts in this thread, I think it's clear that you have issues that need to be worked out. So I'll leave that to your priest. Therefore, please allow eric to answer my question.

Thanks. And good luck.

Lark

First of all, your point is invalid because no one said anything about being "targeted." Your attempt to reframe tells me that you're going to give me an emotional and defensive response. And just by reading a couple of your posts in this thread, I think it's clear that you have issues that need to be worked out. So I'll leave that to your priest. Therefore, please allow eric to answer my question.

Thanks. And good luck.

You sure you'd not like to try and give me the benefit of your condescention for a bit longer?

Like I say I dont know what your original question or point is, if I seem defensive its because you referenced the inquistion and crusades when it wasnt called for.

Its a response you can expect if you attack my faith without cause. Cheers.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
These subjects can be a bit dicey...(and ones I prefer to avoid). Logic often gets lost in the collision. Lets try and both feel and see things for the various sides of the equation so nobody gets hurt. Both Israel...as well as Ireland are still reeling from history involving religious/ethnic/racial conflicts.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Like I say I dont know what your original question or point is, if I seem defensive its because you referenced the inquistion and crusades when it wasnt called for.

Its a response you can expect if you attack my faith without cause. Cheers.
I have some bad news for you . . . a lot of people have been killed in the name of "Christianity." Likewise, Avraham and Yitschak killed a lot of folks during their day as well. I understand my history, and I'm honest about it. I suggest that you do the same by embarrassing the fact that you guys haven't mowed over anyone in the last few centuries, and that Christianity had a pretty bad record during the middle ages.

Those are just facts. I suggest that you deal with it and move on.

Just to recap:

Also, Gen.12:3, which they interpret as treat the Jews special, and you will receive favor from God.
So unless you know the answer, please allow Eric to elaborate.

And Merry Christmas to you.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP

Don't know myself, but I would guess after WWII and the shock of the holocaust; the general belief does permeate much (perhaps most) of modern American Protestantism, though there is less consensus regarding whether followers of Judaism still need to be "saved," or whether they are a "special case" based on the original Covenant.

To Lark: As for the religion/ethnicity (certainly not "race") distinction, its not that complicated; a person can be Jewish by virtue of religious affiliation or by virtue of an ancestral culture based upon religious traditions. The reason there are "ethnic" Jews and not "ethnic" Christians is because Judaism is not a missionary religion, and the relatively few converts were thus absorbed into the majority culture (which included more ritualistic elements than Christianity, anyway) of the Jewish people. Christianity, on the other hand, is a missionary religion, emphasizing beliefs over rituals, whose converts far exceeded the numbers of the original Jewish members; the original cultures of those converts were therefore not subsumed. And yes, all of this is generalization, as there are countless differences between the various cultures of the Jewish diaspora.

LEGERdeMAIN

These subjects can be a bit dicey...(and ones I prefer to avoid). Logic often gets lost in the collision. Lets try and both feel and see things for the various sides of the equation so nobody gets hurt. Both Israel...as well as Ireland are still reeling from history involving religious/ethnic/racial conflicts.

Technically(according to my laminated, framed scrolls of academic achievement), I am an expert on this subject. Due to the nature of my being I often lose myself in collisions, sort of. Also, if I was an xtian I would be proud of my ancestors murdering non-xtians and dominating europe and other less important continents.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Technically(according to my laminated, framed scrolls of academic achievement), I am an expert on this subject. Due to the nature of my being I often lose myself in collisions, sort of. Also, if I was an xtian I would be proud of my ancestors murdering non-xtians and dominating europe and other less important continents.

A nephew and niece of mine have Jewish blood on their father’s side and Irish on their mothers/my sisters I wish them a life only of love. There is even a myth that the Irish are the lost tribe of Isreal. I have seen what hate and religious strife has done in Ireland as well as Isreal. I hope they learn from their history and shape their own future by wisdom.

I chose to forgive my ancestral enemies. My own conscience is clear of any wrong done to my ancestral enemies. At the same time I also see no glory in all of the lives lost by both side due to hate. This is my choice.

Good luck in the choices you make.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can add after segregation as well, because they would have been ostracized then as well.

It probably changed with the rise of Dispensationalism, when evangelicals got heavy into prophecy, and the whole concept of the return of Israel and the rebuilding of the temple signaling the return of Christ really gained steam. They looked more at the OT "promises", including to Abraham, and then changed the tune about the Jews, although they would still slip out on occasion about them being "stiffnecked" and all that. (Like Pat Robertson has said stuff like that).

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
The Evangelical Christians in the US want all the Jews to move back to Israel because apparently you need that to start the Rapture.

That reminds me of a documentary I watched awhile back about Evangelicalism where it was mentioned that there is a group in the US that has a cattle breeding program underway with the intention of producing a red cow or something that is supposed to fulfill some Old Testament prophecy and bring about Armageddon.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
It probably changed with the rise of Dispensationalism, when evangelicals got heavy into prophecy, and the whole concept of the return of Israel and the rebuilding of the temple signaling the return of Christ really gained steam. They looked more at the OT "promises", including to Abraham, and then changed the tune about the Jews, although they would still slip out on occasion about them being "stiffnecked" and all that. (Like Pat Robertson has said stuff like that).
So fairly recently.

Thanks for the research. I appreciate it.

Lark

I have some bad news for you . . . a lot of people have been killed in the name of "Christianity." Likewise, Avraham and Yitschak killed a lot of folks during their day as well. I understand my history, and I'm honest about it. I suggest that you do the same by embarrassing the fact that you guys haven't mowed over anyone in the last few centuries, and that Christianity had a pretty bad record during the middle ages.

Those are just facts. I suggest that you deal with it and move on.

Just to recap:

So unless you know the answer, please allow Eric to elaborate.

And Merry Christmas to you.

Excuse me but I'd suggest you stop hating on Christians, Christendom bequeathed all you and I know to the world, almost everything which is in existence today can be traced back to either originating within the Christian tradition or as a reaction to it and it all worked out through reciprocity.

The middle ages were a violent time and you are confusing to readily and too easily questions of temporal power and conquest and the tradition as a whole, very convenient if all your intent on doing is hating on Christianity itself. Well done.