User Tag List

123 Last

Default Christmas and Ghost Stories

I'm a little unsure if this is the place for it, although it is kind of current and I'm sure it doesnt belong in any other part of the forum more than here but what's the deal with Christmas and Ghost Stories?

I looked into this following the latest adaptation of Christmas Carol by Dickens, I love the story, I've loved almost all of the adaptations and some of the modern retellings, such as Bill Murray's movie Scrooged, and apparently there are other ghost stories, including MR James' stories, I tihnk one is actually called A Ghost Story For Christmas.

Is it because of the spiritual or religious significance of the season and the religious or spiritual significance of ghosts and ghost stories? Is this a tradition you were aware of or not?

MBTI
    NICE

A "little unsure". Surely not?
    Is it because of the spiritual or religious significance of the season and the religious or spiritual significance of ghosts and ghost stories? Is this a tradition you were aware of or not?
    Or have you got a gerbil stuck up your ass hole?

Default The links between Christmas and Ghost Stories?

This is something I've only just become aware of lately, rereading the woman in black and then researching a hint at the beginning of it that there is a tradition of telling ghost stories at Christmas, apparently Dickens was writing for this market when he composed A Christmas Carol and he wasnt really an innovator of the idea.

It was totally new to me did anyone else know of this being a Christmas tradition and why would it be? I'm a little baffled, mind you one of the people I enquired with told me something along the lines that its a Christmas as mulled wine and oranges with cloves dotted all over both of which I didnt know where associated with Christmas at all either (oranges with cloves all over?).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I guess it was something you did around a fireplace, and that became specifically associated with Christmas because of the cold, the chestnuts roasting, etc.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I guess it was something you did around a fireplace, and that became specifically associated with Christmas because of the cold, the chestnuts roasting, etc.
    It could be.

I like the idea and I like it as you describe it. Thanks.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Some additional commentary in this vein:

Link between Christmas and ghost stories
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Default What is the association between Christmas and ghost stories?

What is the association between Christmas and ghost stories?

I only realised this reading the woman in black and never really associated Christmas Carol with ghost stories because I thought of the ghosts in it as spirits rather than ghosts.

I've read a little and it appears that ghost stories after dinner or at the fireplace are a tradition. Does anyone tell ghost stories at Christmas or are you aware of this tradition?

Default Christmas and Ghosts

Has anyone noticed the associations of Christmas and Ghosts? I think this is more of a victorian or years and years ago thing because I never noticed it, apart from Dicken's Christmas Carol, but apparently the telling of Ghost Stories, after dinner and accompanied by drinks and eating oranges IS a Christmas tradition.

Has anyone done this or does anyone do this?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

No, I didn't know this. And that is a shame.

Way cool.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Fall and Winter I think inspire a recognition of death and introspection in general, where as spring and summer inspire thoughts of rebirth and activity.