• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Christmas and Ghost Stories

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I already responded here a year ago, but the pagan view of winter is a time of sickness, death and introspection, so it's fairly obvious to me why ghost stories are more than obvious to the general population. The Christian Jesus story is all mixed up in the renewel and rebirth of pagan gods, because of the death and darkness of winter (it's highly unlikely scripturally that Jesus was born on December 25, though it's fine and good to observe it then, as much as any other time) ....Two of my favorite movies are Black Christmas, which I never watch at Christmas, and I recently saw a new version of a Christmas Carol, a good modern morality play, despite it being 100+ years old.

Damn you, auto correct.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There was this amazing ghost story I read a long long time ago called The Corner Shop by Cynthia Asquith about a man who finds an antique shop and an old caretaker, anxious to sell him something ... I don't remember if it was actually set around Christmas time? I don't think it was. But it had that Christmas atmosphere about it, somehow. I loved it.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
There was this amazing ghost story I read a long long time ago called The Corner Shop by Cynthia Asquith about a man who finds an antique shop and an old caretaker, anxious to sell him something ... I don't remember if it was actually set around Christmas time? I don't think it was. But it had that Christmas atmosphere about it, somehow. I loved it.

Needful Things, that reminds me of. Good tale.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Needful Things, that reminds me of. Good tale.

Haven't heard of this, looked at the wikipedia article and it is superficially similar, haha.

Mine is a sweet if uncanny story of resolution and peace, though ... I'm not sure if Needful Things qualifies as such ...

I'll put it on my to read list for 2015. I've actually managed to go 28 years without reading anything by Stephen King.