User Tag List

First 567

Thread: Eugenics?

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    The point is that when everyone is made smart by means of eugenics, no one will want to perform menial tasks, like being the garbage man, working at McD's, cleaning the house,picking stawberries; thus eugenics implies the necessity of a caste system, and that implies social inequality, because someone will need to do menial things.
    I think we err here. There are some people for whom these are enjoyable jobs. I was at school with a guy who topped the TEE and gained entry into Medicine at University and chose not to take up the place.

He became a gardener for the local shire instead and was happiest mowing the lawn verges in that shire.

Just because these are tasks we might abhor, doesn't mean there aren't others who might enjoy them and this doesn't depend necessarily on intellect!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    I think we err here. There are some people for whom these are enjoyable jobs. I was at school with a guy who topped the TEE and gained entry into Medicine at University and chose not to take up the place.

He became a gardener for the local shire instead and was happiest mowing the lawn verges in that shire.

Just because these are tasks we might abhor, doesn't mean there aren't others who might enjoy them and this doesn't depend necessarily on intellect!
    Yeah, I agree with that, meritocracy could be impossible where everyone smarter but people will actively choose one sort of work rather than another, even without that I think the question of who cleans could be resolved by greater job rotation and workers participation within a firm, provided it where balanced I dont believe people would object to menial work.