User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Eugenics?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Eugenics is a sticky area of course. It seems to be a common theme in sci fi books that future earth will require "permits" to have children, dependent on things like genetic health and lifetime success. This has its good and its bad points, though it would certainly be oppressive to our current society.

I think it's outrageous that people can have 10 children on social assistance, though I'm not sure if there's a reasonable way to really prevent this, or even if the majority of people would be horrified by the idea. I would consider voting for a law that restricted number of children to perhaps 2 to avoid excessive population growth (if that were an issue, though in most developed countries it isn't at all). Or perhaps even 1 child, with extra "permits" available for qualified people. Is that sounding a little crazy yet? The drawbacks of such a policy might be worse than the advantages, though.

On a side note, I think people on social assistance should be strongly "encouraged" not to have children temporarily, until they're self-sufficient, since I know from family experience that it's EXTREMELY hard to work your way up to being self-sufficient when you have to pay for childcare (especially for multiple children), with entry-level jobs not paying enough to cover it. anyway, /tangent

The idea of improving your health genetically is certainly attractive, though the implementation is always the sticky part. Anything with such dramatic effects needs to be very well-researched, and even then, we could expect to have some ill effects.
    -end of thread-

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Thought about it a lot after seeing an episode of House in which the disorder was unravelled once it was revealed that at the genetic level at least the two sufferers were effectively family.

NI isnt a very diverse society, maybe its just because of that but I think that information about genetics would be as useful to people as personality typology if they were selecting partners.

I dont necessarily see that as anymore elitist than the agreement that everyone drives on the one side of the road for instance.
    ...and do you really think the people you are talking about will ask for a genetic history when they feel the urge?? We cannot control domestic violence or rape as it is or are you proposing something akin to the holocaust experiments conducted by Mengele, or more aligned to Brave New World?
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

No... I can't be for it... the very idea of it runs contrary to my basic thought patterns... who is to decide who can reproduce and who can't? what gives them the authority? what will they do with that power?

I don't trust authority... and I tend not to trust anyone who would seek out an authority position... people tend to abuse things of that sort and I wouldn't trust anyone making the decisions to really be deciding on a really fair basis...

on top of that, who is to say what's inferior and what isn't? who's to say that the kid IS going to turn out like their parents? how do we know that that would improve humanity? wouldn't letting things take a natural course be a better method?

now, don't get me wrong, I approve of birth control, I think that it should be more easily accessable and that everyone should be better educated on the topic... I don't even really LIKE children- but I DON'T trust anyone else to make the decision on the topic- there's something fundamentally disturbing about it- and authoritarian
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

I think in the time it will take to popularize eugenics and wise sexual selection, it will be irrelevant because we will have designer babies.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    I think in the time it will take to popularize eugenics and wise sexual selection, it will be irrelevant because we will have designer babies.
    ...or there won't be any room or resources for new babies if we elect to live very long lives??
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

or perhaps the earth will become so polluted that nobody will be able to reproduce... or at least reproduce and not create mutants of some sort?

(yes... I DO watch a lot of Futurama )
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    ...or there won't be any room or resources for new babies if we elect to live very long lives??
    or that, yes
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Who will take out the garbage when everyone has an IQ of 160+?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Excellent point!!!
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    More importantly, who will tie everyone's shoes for them?