User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Eugenics?

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

We already have eugenics in place, it's not just a theory...

It works something like this:

Those that have this thing called health insurance get cared for and live.

Those that don't have this magical card don't get cared for and die.

Can't you see it's transparent wisdom!? Passive Eugenics is teh BEST, especially when based upon something as socioeconomic status. Blessed art thee ass-kissers and business moguls, may they have more opportunities to spred their genes til poor people are no more. Amen.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

This will end badly.

Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

I'm pro-eugenic. The reason for negative feelings towards eugenics originates from the abuse of the term by Nazi Germany. Eugenics is not frenology or some bullshit theories about the inferiority of jews, it is a concept of human progress.

It's very difficult to put it in practice though.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    We already have eugenics in place, it's not just a theory...

It works something like this:

Those that have this thing called health insurance get cared for and live.

Those that don't have this magical card don't get cared for and die.

Can't you see it's transparent wisdom!? Passive Eugenics is teh BEST, especially when based upon something as socioeconomic status. Blessed art thee ass-kissers and business moguls, may they have more opportunities to spred their genes til poor people are no more. Amen.
    Please stop your whining and contribute something of value to the conversation.

I mean, I'm no mod, but did the OP ask you anything about health care reform? If you want to debate the evils of capitalism, start your own "I hate it when people work for their money" thread and enjoy your responses. I'll go get the Orville-Redenbacher

At any rate, I don't see how Eugenics could be implemented to the good of society. Give scientists the right and ability to breed humans, and you have big brother from Brave New World deciding what "qualities" humans ought to possess, and all the equality people have fought for for so long is gone.

Eugenics is the fundament of equality. The only thing humans couldn't abolish in terms of 'liberty' is the right to possess the same chance for success and happiness. If you're born blind and without legs, I say you're pretty fucked up in our liberal democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by incubustribute View Post
    you have big brother from Brave New World
    ^ I hope that was a joke.

MBTI
    yupp

no not enough variety. if we implement eugenics it be in the long run for the worse.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    ^ I hope that was a joke.
    It certainly was not intended as one, but perhaps I misunderstand the goal of implementing eugenics. I was considering the possibilities of abuse when the government inevitably gets to regulate who is born with certain human traits and who is not.
    Last edited by incubustribute; 12-20-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: it weren't good grammah

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Brave New World features a world were the various strata are deliberately breed to be content with their rank, status and prospects, its as dystopian as the Nazi attempt to hijack the concept.

The same way the Russians hijacked equality as communism and have tried to create and control a pan-western/european anti-Islamic terror ideology.

I dont believe that you could possibly consider the availability/rationing of health services eugenics, not even passive eugenics, it could be considered social darwinist, which is something different altogether and I certainly wouldnt argue that at all.

If it is the evils of capitalism you are talking about that would be worth a thread, however, I would ask you, these countries without available health services, were you thinking of the lawless and dependent parts of the developing world or the countries were the "poor" are "victims" of an obescity epidemic?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Thought about it a lot after seeing an episode of House in which the disorder was unravelled once it was revealed that at the genetic level at least the two sufferers were effectively family.

NI isnt a very diverse society, maybe its just because of that but I think that information about genetics would be as useful to people as personality typology if they were selecting partners.

I dont necessarily see that as anymore elitist than the agreement that everyone drives on the one side of the road for instance.
    The road to hell is paved with best intentions...

The gene that a scientist might be able to "remove" or "replace" or "factor out" of an embryo, or the human race for the matter, might very well be toxic/lethal in one series of codon sequences, but could be beneficial in others.

A person's DNA code is so complex, it is impossible to know the totality of interrealtions between genes, despite the apparent ease as of late in identifying problematic sequences.

Do not mess with the territory of God, it is beyond man's comprehension for a reason, and that is why we have been given tools such as love, lust, and other forms of desire to allow us to maintain viability as an overall species despite having acute cases of disability that vary from person to person.

Our gifts are infinitely variable, as is our uniqueness, as are our possible imperfections.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w6

I oppose eugenics due to the simple fact that one person who is extremely good at something probably sucks at something else. This is where IQ tests fail miserably at.
    INTp (MBTI)
    LII (Socionics) but typed as ILI as well
    5 wing 6
    Ti > Ni > Si > Ne > Te > Fi > Se > Fe