User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Is it unethical to kill a man if he is a willing sacrifice to the Almighty One?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    That is an extremely good question.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

I need to know by 8 pm tonight, for reasons I'd rather not get into.

MBTI
    ENFP

It is an important question - but not particularly difficult to answer. I would say yes, it is unethical. Just because someone powerful tells you to kill someone doesn't mean you should do it. If God demands sacrifices, then fuck him. We don't have to sink to his level if we don't want to.

That having been said, we can never *know* that we are actually sacrificing to the "Almighty One," because if he appeared to any of us, or merely whispered into our heads, the odds would be a million to one that it is a hallucination anyway.

In that light, it is also unethical to kill someone to appease the voices in your head, which was precisely Abraham's plan.

Edit: In after 8pm. Sorry.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    ENFJ

If you're making an argument against monotheistic ethics, it's only proper to compare them to polytheistic ethics, not "secular" ones.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Is that like Solitary Walkers evil make up wearing twin or something?
    He's Spinoza. But yes, I did do this to tease SolitaryWalker. Who knows whether or not he found it funny though.

In this society formed by the Enlightenment, it is an offence under the Criminal Law. And the Australian Federal Police will hunt you down and bring you before the Criminal Court where you will be judged by your peers and if found guilty, sentenced to life in prison.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    If you're making an argument against monotheistic ethics, it's only proper to compare them to polytheistic ethics, not "secular" ones.
    You're right. I should have said "Theistic Ethics," or changed the name of the Title entirely, however, I wrote the post on a whim, so it didn't really turn out how I was expecting. I should have written the title last, but I used monotheism for obvious, practical reasons.

Edit: Now I'm curious about your hair color, Jennifer. I had this nice mental picture of you and now it's all messed up.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    You're right. I should have said "Theistic Ethics," or changed the name of the Title entirely, however, I wrote the post on a whim, so it didn't really turn out how I was expecting. I should have written the title last, but I used monotheism for obvious, practical reasons.
    Well, it's because the only thing I could think of when reading your thread was "wasn't everyone doing it at the time?" Maybe Jesus was just going with it because it was trendy.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    That having been said, we can never *know* that we are actually sacrificing to the "Almighty One," because if he appeared to any of us, or merely whispered into our heads, the odds would be a million to one that it is a hallucination anyway.

In that light, it is also unethical to kill someone to appease the voices in your head, which was precisely Abraham's plan.
    If you read, "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind", by Julian Jaynes, you may reach the conclusion that hearing the voice of God was once a normal part of social life.

However today, we regard hearing the voice of God as a sign of schizophrenia.