User Tag List

123 Last

Riva

Default A little bit of credit to Mohammad.

As it seems Mohammad (the founder of Islam) is not at bad as it seems. In a previous thread of mine I accused Islam of having a black and white view on everything.

That could be true.

But that is the Quran so Mohammad is not to be blamed. And he seems to be a humble and smart leader.

---------------------------------------------------

Ps to all those stupid forum members
    - Stop calling me Al-Qaeda. Not every brown guy works for Al-Qaeda.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

he was the start of a movement that started one of the most open and advanced cultures in the whole world at his time- with more provisions for women and orphans than any other cultures were offering at the time!

for his time Mohammad was advanced
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    But that is the Quran so Mohammad is not to be blamed. And he seems to be a humble and smart leader.

---------------------------------------------------

Ps to all those stupid forum members
    - Stop calling me Al-Qaeda. Not every brown guy works for Al-Qaeda.
    But he dictated the Quran...

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Mohammed wasn't a bad person, nor was what he preached bad. It's how others interpret(ed) it and enforce(d) it that made it bad.

Also seconding what whatever said-

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    he was the start of a movement that started one of the most open and advanced cultures in the whole world at his time- with more provisions for women and orphans than any other cultures were offering at the time!

() 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

I think you're a bit mixed up... the Qur'an is, depending on how you see it, either Muhammad's own work, or the words of God dictated to Muhammad, by which he fervently stood. What is Qur'an is also Muhammad, although not necessarily always the other way round.

But anyway... some interesting things about both/either...

The idea of marital rape is enshrined in Islamic law (that is, that women are protected against it) and has been since the 7th century. Also, a woman's property remaining her own, in her own right, after marriage, to be reverted to her sole custody in the event of a divorce.

By contrast, until 1991, the concept of marital rape was not acknowledged in the UK. The other freedoms didn't come along for women in the West until the 19th century.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Mohammed wasn't a bad person, nor was what he preached bad. It's how others interpret(ed) it and enforce(d) it that made it bad.
    Yeah, Jesus has the same problem...
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I couldnt in good conscience say that I felt Mohammed was a good person, almost everything that I've read about him strikes me as indicating the contrary. That's quite apart from the Quran, which in my own reading of it is more full of contradictions than other Abrahamic faiths.

From its inception Islam has been a prolestysing (spelling) religion, it goes beyond evangelism, spreading the word or living by example, towards the attempt to homogenise both the thinking and behaviour of existing believers and to make converts of all non-believers. I cant in good conscience believe this is good or acceptable either.

Now I'm content to live and let live and be peaceable with those who are peaceable with me but that cant involve retreating from what I know to be the case.

MBTI
    INTj

All this time I thought he was just a boxer.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

Yeah, the way he enslaved women and children from the surrounding tribes was pretty advanced, not to mention recognising that those enslaved women would still be in need of sex, and gave his crew the go ahead to force that sex on those new slaves, was beyond advanced, I see that now.

Let's forget all about the first wife he ever married, long before he ever conceived his crazy ideas, long before a whisper of islam even appeared. Let's forget all about that woman, who owned her own business and was in control of her own money, who pursued mohammed and married him without needing anyones permission. That way we can pretend that any rights woman gained in that area, only happened after mohammed created Islam.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    I think you're a bit mixed up... the Qur'an is, depending on how you see it, either Muhammad's own work, or the words of God dictated to Muhammad, by which he fervently stood. What is Qur'an is also Muhammad, although not necessarily always the other way round.

But anyway... some interesting things about both/either...

The idea of marital rape is enshrined in Islamic law (that is, that women are protected against it) and has been since the 7th century. Also, a woman's property remaining her own, in her own right, after marriage, to be reverted to her sole custody in the event of a divorce.

By contrast, until 1991, the concept of marital rape was not acknowledged in the UK. The other freedoms didn't come along for women in the West until the 19th century.

Yeah, Jesus has the same problem...
    Wait, what?

How is a woman protected against marital rape in islam?
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    As it seems Mohammad (the founder of Islam) is not at bad as it seems. In a previous thread of mine I accused Islam of having a black and white view on everything.

That could be true.

But that is the Quran so Mohammad is not to be blamed.
    I'm not sure what you mean by black and white view exactly. But I wouldn't say the Quran is black and white. Some things are very clear and no one argues about those points, e.g. that God is one. But there are many things in it that aren't so obvious or not obvious at all. But a person could think it's obvious because the style is a very direct and uncomplicated one. E.g. Very often when you take a verse in isolation, you might read it as referring to a generality when in fact the subject is a particular one. For example, verses saying so and so should be killed, non-believers, say, often are referring to a particular battle or situation in history and are not about all non-believers of all times. Arabic words also often have very many different meanings depending on context. Even within Islamic Studies people have different views about it. It takes a lot of study to get to even be in the position to try to interpret the Quran.