Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I don't know, my family seems drawn to more northern United States. Their best years were spent there. Apparently some of my immigrant predecessors took the route through Canada into the US instead of going the traditional route, through Ellis Island.

If I were to go where my family "originated," would I go to Russia, Austria, or Israel?
    I would go to Russia, but that's just me.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I would go to Russia, but that's just me.
    Despite Haider and the FP, Austrians have learned to be rather friendly with Jews and outsiders, plus Vienna is a superb city.

Russians, on the other hand, are not *THAT* friendly, that's the least that can be said.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Despite Haider and the FP, Austrians have learned to be rather friendly with Jews and outsiders, plus Vienna is a superb city.

Russians, on the other hand, are not *THAT* friendly, that's the least that can be said.
    I know. One of my math professors is from Russia and he told me about it. I used to talk to him quite a bit.

I'm just fascinated by Russia. It's probably not a good time to visit, though.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post

That's a very good point.

On the other hand I was mostly talking about the 'allergy' thing. As much as I love where I live now, the air and food are not very kind to me.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wondered if this was significant for anyone, interested anyone or if they'd thought about it, I've read about it but mainly in the context of superstition and its rejection as associated greatly with fear.
    My family has really gotten into genealogical research and I personally find plenty of value in it. We've got an unbelievable amount of teachers and preachers, which has been an interesting find.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i have a pretty strong instinctual pull to the American southwest, where my mother's family and ancestors are from, especially New Mexico. it always feels very calm when i am there.

ancestory is very important to my mother's family. i have never experienced anything like ancestoral memory, but i do feel very connected to my ancestory. i could never turn my back on it - and i guess more than that, i do feel a need to embrace it. so i do feel a sense of duty to my ancestors.
    I can relate to that strong connection.

The greater part of my family's most immediate history rest in the Southern states of Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina and Virgina. We can trace our immediate, and not so immediate, roots to West Africa, S. Ireland, E&W Germany, the Hopi tribe, and possibly the Cherokee. I'm fascinated by indigenous cultures around the globe, and drawn to those places.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm English and Scottish, that's all I know.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm English, ScotsIrish, French and German with a bit of Cherokee (isn't everyone?lol) and Navajo Indian. (one of my great,great grandaddies was a wee bit of a slut, I think).

Dontcha just love mutts?
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    I can relate to that strong connection.

The greater part of my family's most immediate history rest in the Southern states of Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina and Virgina. We can trace our immediate, and not so immediate, roots to West Africa, S. Ireland, E&W Germany, the Hopi tribe, and possibly the Cherokee. I'm fascinated by indigenous cultures around the globe, and drawn to those places.
    yes, i am very drawn to indigenous cultures too.
    my wife and i are both part of indigenous groups. my wife is Mayan. her recent family is from Mexico, and she was raised in Mexican culture, but her ancestors are all Mayan. and my wife's parents even liked the word Maya so much that they named her (my wife) Maya!

i am half Comanche, native american. and i am a "card-carrying Indian". in the USA, law requires you to prove your ancestory to become a member of a native american tribe. you usually have to prove you have at least 1/4 indian blood, but for some tribes you have to prove more, or that you are related to specific family trees. once you prove your heritage, you get issued a CDIB card which "officially proves" you are an indian.

it is pretty ridiculous, because anybody who can't trace their family roots can't become a member of a native american tribe. so there are native americans who have no family records, and without records the government doesn't allow them to become members of their tribe.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

yes, i am very drawn to indigenous cultures too.
    my wife and i are both part of indigenous groups. my wife is Mayan. her recent family is from Mexico, and she was raised in Mexican culture, but her ancestors are all Mayan. and my wife's parents even liked the word Maya so much that they named her (my wife) Maya!
    That's beautiful. I love the name Maya. My husband's grandmother is a full blooded member of an indigenous South American tribe, and my ex step-sister moved to Australia, married an euro Australian, but she and her husband adopted a little girl who is an aboriginal Australian(and actually, not so little anymore).

i am half Comanche, native american. and i am a "card-carrying Indian". in the USA, law requires you to prove your ancestory to become a member of a native american tribe. you usually have to prove you have at least 1/4 indian blood, but for some tribes you have to prove more, or that you are related to specific family trees. once you prove your heritage, you get issued a CDIB card which "officially proves" you are an indian.

it is pretty ridiculous, because anybody who can't trace their family roots can't become a member of a native american tribe. so there are native americans who have no family records, and without records the government doesn't allow them to become members of their tribe.
    Yes, it is very difficult for many to prove much of any of their ancestry. The Cherokee Freedman drama has turned a lot of people that we know off from even searching through the records and trying to get official membership. My great-great grandmother was a card carrier(Hopi), but also grew up on reservation. The Cherokee, along with the African, has been the most difficult to pull records. We can't determine where in W.Africa our slave ancestors originated; although, we're fortunate that we've even been able to trace specific slaves in our family-a few of whom were just named "Baby".
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Sniffles

I didn't have much trouble in Russia.